Almost decision time - Scott or Colnago

Johndec

Almost decision time - Scott or Colnago

Postby Johndec » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi all. Long term lurker, first time poster. About four months ago I took a good look at myself and realised I was fat and almost 50... The last 15 years had been good to me and I'd packed on about 20kg in that time. So one night in July while parked on the lounge knocking back beers and watching the TDF, I decided to do something about it! I went down to the LBS and bought a Trek Hybrid.

Since then I've been racking up the kilometres and watching what I eat (still enjoy a brew or three though) and have done about 1500 km and dropped about 12kg. After about a week on the Trek, I soon realised that if was going to be in this for the long haul, I'd need to give myself a carrot so I promised myself a road bike if I lost 15kg. No offence to the Trek 7.3, it's a great first bike especially if you want to lose weight but upgadeitis strikes pretty quick when you start reading these forums!!

Anyhow, I'm getting close to my (interim) goal and I've started looking around. I was almost sold on a 2011 Scott CR1 Team that my LBS can get for $2299 but I recently noticed that another LBS is running out 2011 Colnago Aces for $1999. My head says the Scott as it is pure 105 and probably weighs at least 1/2 kg less than the Colnago. The Colnago on the other hand is partly 105 with the other bits such as crank and brakes, etc, listed as Colnago (rebadged FSA in reality). The geometry of both bikes is virtually the same - relaxed - read as fat and fifty!!. The wheelsets are roughly similar, Aksiums on the Scott and RS-10s on the Colnago (would prefer the Aksiums but not a deal breaker). The $300 price difference doesn't bother me although I'd prefer to pay the lower price. I haven't ridden either bike yet but will do so before taking the plunge.

Bottom line. If both bikes ride similarly, I'll go the Colnago - because it's a Colnago! Wankish I know, but I'm hoping someone will have experience in one or both bikes and either give mean endorsement or a horror story that will help my decision. My only issue with the Scott is some of the frame warranty dramas I've read online, otherwise I probably wouldn't even be posting this question. (There is a question in amongst this long and boring post)....

PS: I should mention that I got a lot of inspiration from the "n00bie milestones" thread and especially reading the transformation of the forum member novice. Thanks mate!

mogwaiboi

Re: Almost decision time - Scott or Colnago

Postby mogwaiboi » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:34 am

Howdy

I have a 2009 Scott CR1 Team and it's been an excellent bike...no problems at all. Not quite as comfortable or quick compared to my Specialized Tarmac, but it's a small difference. I have so far only changed the saddle, tyres and bar/stem...wouldn't mind putting Rival on it and upgrade the Aksiums at some stage. I'm sure the already high Scott profile will lift a notch once GreenEdge gets going.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:01 am

Colnago
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:17 am

Buy the one you want.
You can look at specs on paper, or you can listen to the beating of your heart
105 vs FSA is nothing.
You have officially become your parents.

flyby

Postby flyby » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:28 am

Ken Ho wrote:105 vs FSA is nothing.
I would read reviews of the particular crankset that comes on the Colnago and compare to the Scott. Not all FSA cranksets get great reviews, while the 105 stuff is pretty reliable. Also compare the frame geometry, AFAIK Scotts are quite aggressive.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:57 pm

Test ride the two, when it comes to two similarly spec'd and priced bikes, it the ride quality that should determine which to buy in the end.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:30 pm

John, if you have been averaging 100k a week, and reading this forum a lot, I think that's a sign you are going to do more cycling rather than less when you get a hot new roadie. I'd suggest you review your spend limit, and get better gear, especially wheels. Personally, I'd suggest you go
groupo - 105 or ultegra
wheels - fulcrum 5 or shimano ultegra
frame - carbon, or alloy if you really cannot justify the spend.
gears 50/34 (53/39 may be very hard on your heart) 11-12/25-28
Don't be put off names like Azzuri and Malvern Star.

and factor in the mulah for helmet, gloves, kit, shoes, pedals, lights, some tools, etc. and more than one pair

coates_hbk

Postby coates_hbk » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:32 pm

i have just put a deposit down for an 11 cr1 team for 1995, try haggle a bit more! I believe the scott is a bit more aggressive than you think it is though? Buy the scott you know u wanna :P

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Ken Ho wrote:Buy the one you want.
You can look at specs on paper, or you can listen to the beating of your heart
105 vs FSA is nothing.
Yep, absolutely.

Many of us have been there, done the research, poked and prodded, got confused.

Buy the bike that sings to you, makes you want to look at it, and above all, ride it. Good luck.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:58 pm

go the CR1.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

Johndec

Postby Johndec » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:59 pm

Thanks everyone for all the constructive advice.
flyby wrote: Also compare the frame geometry, AFAIK Scotts are quite aggressive.
Some are, some less so. The pre 2009 CR1 was quite aggressive, the current one is much more relaxed by comparison although not quite as much as the Colnago.
winstonw wrote: John, if you have been averaging 100k a week, and reading this forum a lot, I think that's a sign you are going to do more cycling rather than less when you get a hot new roadie. I'd suggest you review your spend limit, and get better gear, especially wheels. Personally, I'd suggest you go
groupo - 105 or ultegra
wheels - fulcrum 5 or shimano ultegra
frame - carbon, or alloy if you really cannot justify the spend.
gears 50/34 (53/39 may be very hard on your heart) 11-12/25-28
Don't be put off names like Azzuri and Malvern Star.

and factor in the mulah for helmet, gloves, kit, shoes, pedals, lights, some tools, etc. and more than one pair
Great info Winston. Yeah I'm up to 110 -120 km a week now riding when I get a chance after work and on weekends. I'm still about 100kg so I'd be happy with sturdier wheels like the Aksiums for a while till I got to sub 90kg. Both bikes come with compact cranks which I would prefer. Got all the other stuff like nicks, jerseys and gloves. Got shoes and pedals about a week ago so I can bang up the old bike rather than the new one if I clipstack! I was seriously thinking about a MS C5 or C6 but most of the cheap 2011 stock is gone and there appears to be no sign yet of the 2012 stuff which I doubt will be discounted at least for a while.
coates_hbk wrote:i have just put a deposit down for an 11 cr1 team for 1995, try haggle a bit more!
I tried but they wont/can't budge from there original price which was $50 cheaper than anything I've seen advertised on Bike Exchange in Sydney. I printed out and showed them a Newcastle bike shop that were flogging off a 2011 Team in my size (56cm) for $1899. They rang Scott and tried to haggle on my behalf but no dice. I didn't expect them to match that price but would have been happy if they got somewhere near it as things like first service free and the relationship that is built up would have soon negated the price difference. I might see if I can squeeze some extra free servicing out of them to close the deal. That was a couple of weeks ago though and Scott still have Teams warehoused that they need to move so I might have more luck next time. Unfortunately Scott have moved all their 2011 Pros otherwise that would have been a real option for a few hundred more.

I'm starting to lean towards the Scott as the frame is the same as their higher models such as the Pro meaning I not getting a one off frame for one of the lower spec models. The Colnago frame is specific for that model only which lets face it is their povvo pack version :)

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:18 am

I found it impossible to haggle with the Avanti/Scott dealerships up here in QLD as well on the price of bikes. I was trying to get them to come down $200 on the CR1 team, which at the time was $2299. At the time the dealer said there was an excess of 2011 CR1's in the Scott warehouse. If they had come down the $200 I would have spent that money and some more on accessories. However at the end of the day, the dealership can only go so far, and I thanked them for thier time.

Today the CR1 Team is $2199.

I would however try and get them to throw in or discount a pair of Shimano 105 PD-5700-S pedals at the very least.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:33 am

I recently wrote off a Scott CR1 and have just replaced it. One of the bikes on my short list was a Colnago clx2 but I ended up getting another Scott because I just loved the ride of the first one so much.
Both were listed at the same price but in the end I save over $500 on the Scott anyway so made the deal even sweeter.
I would test ride both and then decide.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:58 am

I don;t have any info to offer on these bikes (knobbly tyres for me :D ) but the advice to ride both bikes before deciding is very sound. Would you buy a car without driving them first? I wouldn't, and incidentally any bike shop that refuses a test ride has instantly made my decision easier ;)

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:45 pm

At crit racing this morning, one of our pack had his 2 day old Azzuri Ultegra Di2 bought via CE for $2600.
http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/bik ... d-out.aspx
Pristine finish to the frame, and I've decided the Di2 is a must have on my next bike. He is seriously impressed with the gear changing.

Johndec

Postby Johndec » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:35 pm

OK. Just in case anyone is interested, I didn't buy either. Went back to the LBS selling the Colnago Ace to kick its tyres again and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I ended up buying a Colnago CLX 2.0. Price? Lets put it this way. I could have bought 2 CLXs and still had change compared to the recommended retail price.... Not that anyone pays retail for bikes but still a good deal. Full Ultegra, no mix and match 105/FSA that the Ace had and Fulcrum 5 wheels compared to RS10 for the Ace. Lighter frame than the Ace, weighs in at 7.7kg without pedals which is still about 500g heavier than say a Scott CR1 pro which I probably could have got for similar money but who cares!! It's a Colnago and it is beautiful..

The LBS spent at least 90 minutes fitting me up to the bike, adjusting this and that, changing stems, etc, to fit my rather weird body shape ( long torso, short legs and arms for my height). I took it for its first ride today after work, a 25km loop that I usually do and in a nutshell, I feel like I've gone from a clapped out Hyundai to a Ferrari. I'd taken it for a test ride before I bought it and it felt a little "wrong" which I put down to being a very different beast to a Trek hybrid. However after the fitting adjustments it is perfect. The fitter took into account the fact that I was new to a drop bar bike and has set it up rather relaxed (flipped stem,etc) but walked me through how to make it progressively more aggressive as I get more used to and confident on the bike.

The bottom line is that I now own a bike that I love and still leaves plenty of room for upgradeitis! The only alloy bit on the bike is the stem so I might have to look at a carbon replacement. The Fulcrum 5's will eventually go for something better when I've lost another 10kg ( prolite's look like a deal) and of course no self respecting Italian bike should have a Japanese groupset, Campagnolo may well get my business when I wear out the Ultegra stuff.

Hux

Postby Hux » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:20 pm

Nice choice.

Regardless of what the cost was my heart would have ruled Italian for me regardless.

I wouldn't sweat too much about groupset I think you can throw a blanket over the 3 top brands. It depends on what you like in a brifter and feel. All are better than the average punter can use :mrgreen:

open roader

Postby open roader » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:50 pm

Great another Colnago smile on the block...... love the curved top tube on the CLX frames.

Ultegra is plenty good. If it makes you happy - job done.......

You know the law..... Pics or it didn't happen....... :D
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

TDC

Postby TDC » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:18 pm

Johndec wrote: and of course no self respecting Italian bike should have a Japanese groupset, Campagnolo may well get my business when I wear out the Ultegra stuff.
Ahem..http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech/200 ... apei.shtml

Johndec

Postby Johndec » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:55 pm

open roader wrote: You know the law..... Pics or it didn't happen....... :D
All I've got at the moment is a quick phone pic that I took on Thursday when I picked it up.

TDC

Postby TDC » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:56 pm

nice...Colnagos are very cool

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Nice bike there....one of these is currently under consideration for when it's time to up-grade again!
Lisa

open roader

Postby open roader » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:15 pm

'tis a thing of beauty........ :D
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:41 am

Lub-dup, lub-dup, lub-dup !!!!!
You have officially become your parents.

Gordo

Postby Gordo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:39 am

Johndec wrote:OK. Just in case anyone is interested, I didn't buy either. Went back to the LBS selling the Colnago Ace to kick its tyres again and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I ended up buying a Colnago CLX 2.0. Price? Lets put it this way. I could have bought 2 CLXs and still had change compared to the recommended retail price.... Not that anyone pays retail for bikes but still a good deal.
well, u made me dial up colnago's site and find a dealer. nearest one 200km away. sweet looking bike...but the price sounds jaw dropping (not that i know much about colnago...yet). So what did u pay again? rrp is something like 4500 to 5000? (im guessing 4000 is more reasonable and realistic?) So u paid maybe 2200 to 2500...???...there must be a catch? bike-exchange has these bikes going for 4000 and thats claimed to be 'run out'. have i got this right (prob havent...maths prob up the putt somewhere)?

im going to have to keep shoppin' round if people can get deals like this.