Rollers

Xplora

Re: Rollers

Postby Xplora » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:41 pm

OK that's the winner. Well played. Trainerroad and resistance curves up to 900W is all I need to see. Extremely clever solution to the resistance problem!

pauls51

Postby pauls51 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Xplora wrote: How hard is this method though? Are we talking 30 on/30 off interval intensity, or are we talking tempo? Let's be realistic, some people want brutal resistance available.

More like Pyramid intervals.... But I suppose if you want brutal resistance then its either head to the mountains or buy yourself a wind trainer

EDIT: Well it appears you can :o

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:54 pm

My Sportcrafters Overdrive rollers arrived today, will give them a demo tonight :mrgreen:

Marto

Postby Marto » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:59 pm

Xplora wrote:My Sportcrafters Overdrive rollers arrived today, will give them a demo tonight :mrgreen:
Enjoy! You'll be the only one at warmup with red-framed rollers. At least you wont stick your bike on someone else rollers in error.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:53 pm

God help me if that wasn't the most nerve racking maiden test flight in history. These things will work, I'm so damn unstable it's ridiculous. I won't be able to ride in a straight line without having far better skills. I think I managed 5 seconds unsupported by a wall over 5 minutes of riding at 40-50rpm :oops:

Marto

Postby Marto » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:50 am

Xplora wrote:God help me if that wasn't the most nerve racking maiden test flight in history. These things will work, I'm so damn unstable it's ridiculous. I won't be able to ride in a straight line without having far better skills. I think I managed 5 seconds unsupported by a wall over 5 minutes of riding at 40-50rpm :oops:
Sounds like the standard first time on rollers then :P

Everyone who is using rollers easily now went through the same. Just make sure your front axle is just behind the front roller axle line.

It will get better each time until you are going smoothly enough to roll until you are tired. It would be boring if it was easy.

Good luck!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:12 pm

Had another crack, did around 20 minutes at Z2/Z3 without touching the doorway too much. Glad I got the resistance roller (in it's box, learning to get started safely first), it's really hard to get some decent power through the pedals. I'd be on FTP doing 45kmh :lol: I assume you are supposed to bounce a little bit if you aren't smooth?

Marto

Postby Marto » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Xplora wrote:Had another crack, did around 20 minutes at Z2/Z3 without touching the doorway too much. Glad I got the resistance roller (in it's box, learning to get started safely first), it's really hard to get some decent power through the pedals. I'd be on FTP doing 45kmh :lol: I assume you are supposed to bounce a little bit if you aren't smooth?
Yes that's the feedback to smooth out your pedal stroke, although the amount of bounce varies between bikes. I can only get to 120 rpm on my alu bike before the bouncing gets too much, but 130+ on my carbon smoothly.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:06 pm

Totally different experience to the KK trainer. Although that sluggish "I'm not on the road" feeling hasn't left. Still, I was surprised how easy it is to look at the wrong thing, or check the cassette, etc... the struggle was letting go of the handlebars (aka don't even think about it) to press the lap button on the Garmin and getting some relaxation on the saddle (aka didn't get any).

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:24 am

10 days later with a few hours logged and its much better. I really want to get some flat pedals and try riding off them on purpose, just to find out what happens. It's all been doorways so far. (Don't know how people cope with zero resistance, I couldn't get past 250w without it).

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Xplora wrote:10 days later with a few hours logged and its much better. I really want to get some flat pedals and try riding off them on purpose, just to find out what happens. It's all been doorways so far. (Don't know how people cope with zero resistance, I couldn't get past 250w without it).
If you let the tyres down and put some cards in the rear spokes that helps create a little extra resistance.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:38 pm

:lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:14 pm

I have been daydreaming and ridden off mine a couple of times... Stopped dead in the gutter and put the feet down. No big YouTube moments.
Don't have resistance ones but can still do up to Vo2 level intervals fine. Once I start getting up to 600w or so the speeds are up around the mid 50's... They are pretty old rollers and not super smooth at those speeds but then neither am I!. Doesn't bother me as those sort of efforts are better on the road.
My mag trainer is now used for gluing tyres... Too many injuries incurred on a trainer?.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:33 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
Xplora wrote:10 days later with a few hours logged and its much better. I really want to get some flat pedals and try riding off them on purpose, just to find out what happens. It's all been doorways so far. (Don't know how people cope with zero resistance, I couldn't get past 250w without it).
If you let the tyres down and put some cards in the rear spokes that helps create a little extra resistance.
The old trick is to put a towel under the back rollers to provide resistance.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:33 pm

I like the rollers and towel trick, but it somehow sounds rather illicit?