So how bad is a Big W bike, really?

ldrcycles

Re: So how bad is a Big W bike, really?

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:22 pm

I'm assuming koshari meant decent quality rigid disc forks would cost more than a Big W bike (which they do, $75ish for Mosso forks compared to $66 for a Dunlop Armour). Turns out the "26 inch" rigid forks on my mountain bike actually have a longer axle to crown measurement than the ones on my road bike, so now i just need to gather the bits together.

silentbutdeadly, the bikes in store are 1 1/8" threadless, i don't know why the picture on the website shows a quill stem, maybe that was an old model? In any case the welds look as good as any other ordinary (ie not high end Cannondale et al) aluminium frame.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:49 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I'm assuming koshari meant decent quality rigid disc forks would cost more than a Big W bike (which they do, $75ish for Mosso forks compared to $66 for a Dunlop Armour). Turns out the "26 inch" rigid forks on my mountain bike actually have a longer axle to crown measurement than the ones on my road bike, so now i just need to gather the bits together.
this is indeed what i was inferring.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:30 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I'm assuming koshari meant decent quality rigid disc forks would cost more than a Big W bike (which they do, $75ish for Mosso forks compared to $66 for a Dunlop Armour). Turns out the "26 inch" rigid forks on my mountain bike actually have a longer axle to crown measurement than the ones on my road bike, so now i just need to gather the bits together.

silentbutdeadly, the bikes in store are 1 1/8" threadless, i don't know why the picture on the website shows a quill stem, maybe that was an old model? In any case the welds look as good as any other ordinary (ie not high end Cannondale et al) aluminium frame.
Really? They've upgraded! Sweet! Might be an opportunity then. I did think about koshari talking about truly decent forks but decided that wouldn't be half as much fun!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Got around to putting some higher rise bars on the Origami and used it to get about the Sunshine Coast uni this afternoon. I must have found it's natural habitat because it felt perfect for the job :) .

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:22 pm

woulda been a little unconfortable riding it without grips?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:14 pm

No because it's quite an upright position there's very little weight on my hands, but in due course i will get around to popping some grips on :) .

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:52 pm

That Woolies bike mentioned earlier in this thread was $40 today in the box with a claimed weight of 19kg.
The female version was $60 and weighed in at 22kg but included mudguards.

CB

husked

Postby husked » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:29 pm

I remember before I learnt my lesson with Bicycle Shaped Objects, I'd bought a bike from target, installed everything had it running smooth even the drivetrain geared up and down effectively, went for a ride avoided "Riding on Trails" since they advised it on the bike, went over a bump and immediately the handlebar dropped, went head first over. Walked the bike back home inspected the bar/stem contact, alloy had munched away where the clamp was, couldn't overtighten the clamp bolt, still slipped. Threw it in the car, took it back, went to a LBS and bought a real hardtail in the same day. Lesson learnt, never forgotten.

koshari

Postby koshari » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:35 pm

husked wrote:I remember before I learnt my lesson with Bicycle Shaped Objects, I'd bought a bike from target, installed everything had it running smooth even the drivetrain geared up and down effectively, went for a ride avoided "Riding on Trails" since they advised it on the bike, went over a bump and immediately the handlebar dropped, went head first over. Walked the bike back home inspected the bar/stem contact, alloy had munched away where the clamp was, couldn't overtighten the clamp bolt, still slipped. Threw it in the car, took it back, went to a LBS and bought a real hardtail in the same day. Lesson learnt, never forgotten.
i take it you didnt read the sticker on the top tube?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:10 am

koshari wrote:i take it you didnt read the sticker on the top tube?
Buyers Warning: This is a supermarket bike and is not intended to be actually used. The purpose of this bike is to give the buyer the feeling that they have scored a super hot deal because it has some Shimano stuff (which is a really good brand) and a brand name that you remember from the 80's. Once you have purchased, please leave it to rust. It will take about 1 year and you can still brag about how it is now a collectable.
Cycling is in my BNA

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:42 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
koshari wrote:i take it you didnt read the sticker on the top tube?
Buyers Warning: This is a supermarket bike and is not intended to be actually used. The purpose of this bike is to give the buyer the feeling that they have scored a super hot deal because it has some Shimano stuff (which is a really good brand) and a brand name that you remember from the 80's. Once you have purchased, please leave it to rust. It will take about 1 year and you can still brag about how it is now a collectable.
:lol:
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:19 pm

Should be a legal requirement to have that on a sign next to a row of BSOs.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:55 pm

Just noticed a Repco Preset on fleabay for $25 or $50 BIN. Looks to be bog stock although the bars are tilted about as far back as they can go and there looks to be something weird going on with the front brake.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Single-Speed ... df2&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Looks like he's bent the upper arm in a prang and realised the cost of a serviceable replacement will come to better than 50% of the cost of a new bike...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:56 pm

I finally managed to find 2 good 20" tyres at the tip to replace the cracking ones on my little Origami. Especially important for the front tyre as it had a big slice in the sidewall that i could see the inner tube through :shock: . The original tyres were 1.75" so with the replacements being 2.125 it looks like a miniature fatbike now :lol: . Had to remove the mudguard to fit the new rear tyre but it had a few dings in it anyway. Took the opportunity to regrease the hubs so they're running smooth as butter now.

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:06 pm

pix of the mini fatbike?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:25 pm

Should have em up tomorrow :) . Damn crazy work hours.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:44 pm

Still haven't got around to putting handlebar grips on :) . I need to pop the Garmin on it to see what speed i can get in top gear as i really want to take it on a bunch ride for giggles :D .

EDIT: photobucket is having a tantrum at the moment, but the photo is up there in the air somewhere.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:30 pm

OK finally

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:42 pm

2015 Big W bike catalogue is on the website, they've even got a dual suspension 650B now!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:47 pm

The girls mountain bike on page 9 of the latest Big W catalogue has the forks fitted backwards :roll: .

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Idr your foldable at a quick glance looks like it has layback bars untill I noticed it was the rolladoors lock trim.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:11 pm

Those are layback bars by my standards :) . I've been toying with the idea of fitting 52t cranks and drop bars just to put the wind up a mate of mine who hates the bike :D .

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:30 pm

IDR....Wandered Past BigW this am....there is a new animal in the store.....
Not on the Big W 2014/2015 Cat yet

Detail here...
HYPER Mammoth Fat Tyre MTB

& the Weight?? way past boat anchor.

Rob

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:42 pm

Haha i saw the latest catalogue the other day and was just about to start frothing at the mouth here about the fat bike :lol: . Not to mention the dual suspension 650B, or the girls bike with the forks on backwards :roll: .

I can't wait to see one of those fat bikes in the flesh, single speed and single brake? Hardcore!