So how bad is a Big W bike, really?

ldrcycles

Re: So how bad is a Big W bike, really?

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:54 pm

And including postage, you'd have to wonder how much money they could possibly be making on that?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jadecu

Postby jadecu » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:37 pm

Rob74 wrote:Big W is starting to look expensive.....behold the Trofeo Mugello for $90

Rob
wonder how much one of these weigh

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:52 pm

jadecu wrote:
Rob74 wrote:Big W is starting to look expensive.....behold the Trofeo Mugello for $90

Rob
Under its rider in a previous life...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:16 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
jadecu wrote:

Rob
Under its rider in a previous life...

:lol: :lol:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:48 pm

It's been a little while since i've worked on some cheapies, but a former workmate dropped in this, ahem, "beauty" for me to sort out a very sloppy BB.

I had a Prelude myself back around 2008 and even with a carbon tubular wheel on the front, carbon forks and a bunch of other upgrades it was still a very poor bike. This one is no different, but it's rideable.

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:05 am

I'm still disappointed that the BigW fat bike never got the broad distribution of the SS. I saw one in my local store, stood in the isle as it wouldn't fit in their racks, couldn't see any boxes anywhere, then it was gone. I guess they stuck with that online toy sale dealio and kept numbers low. Should probably set a Gumtree search and see if I can pick up a cheapie.

klr_rider1

Postby klr_rider1 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:00 pm

Big W in Woden, ACT still has a Fat Bike for sale on the floor. It is priced at $299.

Before you buy it, lift it up to feel the weight.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:29 pm

klr_rider1 wrote:Big W in Woden, ACT still has a Fat Bike for sale on the floor. It is priced at $299.

Before you buy it, get a mate to help youlift it up to feel the weight.
FTFY. I've seen one in the wild four times, think it's the same rider. Three times it was being pushed up hill.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:50 am

klr_rider1 wrote:Big W in Woden, ACT still has a Fat Bike for sale on the floor. It is priced at $299.

Before you buy it, lift it up to feel the weight.
Given the size of the thing i wasn't surprised by the weight. Sure it weighs a tonne but those wheels and tyres are insane. I checked my local Big W the other day and they had one on the floor still in the box, also $299. Far too expensive for my liking. Would need to be half that at least before i'll bite.

klr_rider1

Postby klr_rider1 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:23 pm

Today, Big W in Woden ACT had a Dunlop Armour MTB for sale for $59.01. It was red and white with black steel rims.

thelittlebattler

Postby thelittlebattler » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:39 pm

ldrcycles wrote:It's been a little while since i've worked on some cheapies, but a former workmate dropped in this, ahem, "beauty" for me to sort out a very sloppy BB.

I had a Prelude myself back around 2008 and even with a carbon tubular wheel on the front, carbon forks and a bunch of other upgrades it was still a very poor bike. This one is no different, but it's rideable.
This brings a smile to my face. I also bought a Prelude in 2008 (saved up for 3 months during uni to buy it for $250 from Kmart. it had the same groupset and wheels as the cell ss2200 of the time). After busting a wheel I also bought the panther wheels as pictured from cyclingdeal

Maybe I'm biased, but I don't think it's a terrible bike... after you upgrade the BB and brakes, and saddle. Other than the harsh road buzz, I can't really criticise the frame. Corners ok, and definitely not a soggy noodle if stiffness is of any concern.

Mine now lives it's life strapped into the indoor trainer, with a TT bullhorn/aero bar set-up should I ever find myself in a stage race prologue 8)

klr_rider1

Postby klr_rider1 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:06 pm

Big W are now selling a cruiser bike for $198. It has 700c 29" white wall tyres, 7 speeds, mudguards, rear carrier and chain guard. There is a women's version as well, with a yellow frame and dropped top tube.

See: http://www.bigw.com.au/product/29-inch- ... 000209844/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:10 am

I'll have to keep an eye out for that one, could be reasonable depending on the shifter they've used. Twist grip would be a deal breaker for me. I have a bit of a soft spot for single chainring geared bikes, but $198 is getting to the higher end of the acceptable price range i think.

klr_rider1

Postby klr_rider1 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:25 am

The same bike is also sold by Walmart in the US. Their price is actually slightly more expensive in $A terms.

Both the Chinese RMB and $US have appreciated against the $A.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:53 pm

It's been too long between posts on this thread!

A young bloke at my work has taken to riding in on a Bg W Diamondback 29er, i can't think of the model name but it's black and orange and was about $299 when it first appeared. Naturally i pounced on it to have a gander and make sure it wouldn't kill him :) .
Has the usual flimsy plastic TZ30 rear derailleur and boat anchor steel cranks. The Modus cable disc brakes make a fair bit of noise, but apart from that they work pretty well. The frame is the highlight, it wouldn't look out of place for an entry-mid level offering from one of the big brands, big chunky aluminium tubing with neat welds.

Unfortunately the forks are utterly atrocious, he hasn't ridden it much but there is still a LOT of play in them. Undo the quick release on your front wheel and leave the headset loose and you'll have a good indication of how much movement there is in these forks just between the fork legs and stanchions. It is scary stuff! Nothing i can do about it though so fingers crossed.

And back to the Repco Preset that started this thread, i spotted one in the wild the other day, it's shirtless owner manfully grinding away into a headwind. I really miss mine!

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:21 pm

I'm still sad that we never got to see $99 fat bikes. =[

How long before BigW starts selling cross bikes? Pretty sure the hipsters jumped that shark a few years back, must be time for mass dissemination.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:24 pm

I'm hoping that someone will tire of their BigW fatbike and sell it on Gumtree for under $100. Saw one at $150 a while ago, but missed out.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:41 pm

We had one of those d'back 29ers show up in showroom condition at one of our MTB club events. Old mate had a great time by all accounts but found the going a bit harsh...he's since upgraded I'm told to something used but much better...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:58 pm

Popped into the local Big W for kitty litter this arvo (thrilling lifestyle haha) and checked out the new and much larger bike area.

The Diamondback Mason 650B dually was there in a new and not particularly attractive colour-

Ignoring the crummy parts hanging off it, the frame is actually very nice. Not much chance of appreciating it by the looks of the forks and rear shock though. And $329 is mighty hefty for steel cranks and a SunRun front derailleur.

Round the other side was a Repco Sumo 29er.

This didn't look too bad, but the forks are horrifyingly flimsy, while it's light for a large steel frame, that's not really saying much. $150 is cheap, but not really cheap enough for nutted hubs front and rear.

Right next to that though was a shiny new Dunlop Armour, aka the one true Big W bike. I actually really like that thing, it looks good all shiny under lights, and it doesn't pretend to be something it's not. Nice and simple 1x6 gearing, and $79. If it weren't such a small frame i'd have one already :lol: .

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:49 pm

$500 for two big-w fat bikes. One with chopper bars. Pity it's a little to pricey, but if they stick around long enough might be worth an offer :)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wallalon ... 1098188061

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:44 am

I read somewhere big w have 15% off diamond back bikes

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:28 am

15% off crap is still crap as someone use to say.. :-)
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:19 am

My son worked at Big W during his uni days, and spent most of the week leading up to Xmas assembling bikes. I think Big W may have had a few claims against the stores relating to poor assembly, because they now get 'properly trained' people to put the bikes together.
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:22 am

Training: "there is the box, there are instructions in it"?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:34 pm

Popped onto the Big W website today to check out some bikes my sister was looking at buying for her husband (i will be rebuilding a Felt MTB for her instead :) ) and suddenly they have 2 pages of Progear bikes listed. For those not familiar with them, Progear are a very small step up from the usual Repco/Diamondback offerings, you see them in a few family oriented bike shops.

They've even got an electric assist fat bike on there, for $2,000!