Velo Orange - Pass Hunter Rack

rifraf

Velo Orange - Pass Hunter Rack

Postby rifraf » Wed May 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Anyone have "any" experience with one of these racks?
I'm toying with the idea of one for the front of my black Surly Ogre.
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... -rack.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The boxes it ticks for me is:
its stainless - no rust
its light (250g)
secures the front of a mudguard with a built in mount.
appears perfect for a sleeping mat rolled up.
mounts on v-brake bosses(?)
has mounts for lights (L/R)
tis shiney and new :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Despite their shiny finish, I'm hopeful it'll complement my Tubus Nova lowrider front rack.

I've got to send them an email to see if my wide forks will be suitable.

Comments, suggestions, drunken ramblings welcome
Last edited by rifraf on Thu May 30, 2013 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

thecaptn

Re: Velo Orange - Pass Hunter Rack

Postby thecaptn » Wed May 29, 2013 7:46 pm

Yes it's shiney. Can't carry much on it but.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed May 29, 2013 7:58 pm

thecaptn wrote:Yes it's shiney. Can't carry much on it but.
Supposed to be good for 50 pounds which I'm guessing is around 22kg?
I'm just thinking of a place for a sleeping mat and for my camera box when I'm not touring, but just out for the day.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130765706884" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed May 29, 2013 8:04 pm

Yeah it looks pretty strong, you could probably carry bricks on it. It's just the volume of stuff that you can fit on it isn't much. Looks good for your purposes but it limits you to just that, if your sure that you'd never want to put panniers on the front then there's no problem as far as I can see.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed May 29, 2013 8:40 pm

thecaptn wrote: if your sure that you'd never want to put panniers on the front then there's no problem as far as I can see.
What might be an issue with front panniers :?:
rifraf wrote:Despite their shiny finish, I'm hopeful they'll complement my Tubus Nova lowrider front rack.
I could be wrong (hence my thread), but I cant see an issue with the "Hunter" and my Tubus Nova as yet. :?

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed May 29, 2013 9:50 pm

Oh now your just showing off, damn you!

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed May 29, 2013 9:52 pm

Sweet ride man.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed May 29, 2013 10:33 pm

Thanks, just got the gears working on Sunday. First proper ride today.
BIG change from riding my 20 inch wheeled Moulton bicycle that I've been riding for around 17 years.
Just gotta sort out my Edelux lighting, mudguards and maybe the VO front rack which is currently tempting me on ebay.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed May 29, 2013 10:46 pm

What's the go with the disc front end? Have you caliper mounts on that fork? V brakes for the back?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed May 29, 2013 11:34 pm

thecaptn wrote:What's the go with the disc front end? Have you caliper mounts on that fork? V brakes for the back?
At the time of the pic, I didnt have the torx tool to fit the rear disk.
It has both caliper mounts (front and rear) as well as disk (front and rear).
I'm using a 200mm disk on the front and a 160mm on the rear.
Rohloff rear hub and Son28 dynamo hub on the front to power my lights/gps/phone.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:43 am

Ahh well now, I'm guessing nobody has toyed with one of these so maybe I'll be the first here to step up to the plate.
I originally thought I was going to get a Surly Nice front rack until it was pointed out they weighed in at 1382 grams and could carry 32 kg.
My Tubus Nova combined with this Velo Orange rack weigh in at 755 grams.
The Nova 535 grams and VO Pass Hunter 250 gram.
Their recommended max loads being 15 kg for the Nova and 22 kg for the VO.
Their combined load being 37 kg surpassing the Surly by only 5kg but weighing over
half a kilo less whilst doing it and also unlike the Surly, being stainless steel will never rust
or need repainting.
I dont intend to carry anywhere near the max weight limits and will appreciate the eye-candy that is to me more visually appeasing - the stainless combo.
Pressed the button on:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130765706884" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It remains to be seen if it will adapt to the Ogre fork dimensions and large tyres.
I'll update the thread when/if it arrives safely and I've tried to mount it to the bike. :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:34 am

The Pass Hunter is designed to carry a retro style handlebar bag. With your Ortlieb handlebar bag mounted on the Thorn accessory bar there won't be room to carry anything on it (like a sleeping mat), or any where to mount your dynamo light.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:14 pm

I think there'll be a bit of room on it between the Ortlieb bag and the other rack.

I've tried the VO Rando rack but found it would bend at the tongue with a bit of weight on it, pushing my SKS Longboards into the 32mm tyre. The Pass Hunter with its bolt through the fork crown and canti mounts would be much better in this regard I reckon. I reckon a Nitto M18 is my best option with caliper brakes, and might suit you too. You'll have to make up a light mount either way, either from the VO rack or with a braze on or some other made up attachment on your Tubus rack. Or perhaps on the fender.

The Berthoud front racks come with a light mount, but they're more expensive and harder to get delivered to Australia.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:43 pm

WestcoastPete wrote: The Berthoud front racks come with a light mount, but they're more expensive and harder to get delivered to Australia.
Tell me about it.
Berthoud stuff just seems a pain in the a#* to get hold of.
PracticalCycles say they wont post Berthoud fenders to Australia period - too many damage claims from this region.
On-One only stock one size and its not the one on their website (or wasnt last I looked) - took a while to sort refund.
Tried ordering Berthoud fenders from Gilles Berthoud site and despite following their stone age site directions carefully and it telling me transaction complete (forget exact words) and to expect an email within minutes,
no email and so far today, no money taken from my account.
I was hoping mail delivery from France might be faster than the States and having to phone Peter White Cycles
to send some and pay excessive USA postage. :?

I thought about the Nitto stuff due to their reputation for quality but couldnt in the end go with non stainless.
Sick of dealing with rusty stuff on the Moulton.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:01 am

Update on Gilles Berthoud fenders.
On Sunday I tried to order some fenders as per above post.
Its just about 1am here in Perth so around 3am Sydney time and I've just checked my balance.
Surprise, surprise my order has been charged to my account (nothing there this arvo).
Still no promised email though. Neither the confirmation (normally automatic response) nor an answer to my email inquiry as to the standing of my order and how to move forward on my desire to purchase said fenders.
I suppose there might be some language barrier issues with regards to my email but not to get
a response confirming payment made is a surprise.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Turns out the fender transaction went smoother than I thought.
Fenders arrived today whilst I was out.
Basically a week
I cant often get something from Sydney that fast (bless Ausposts little cotton socks.)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:35 pm

Finally some movement in the tracking dept of USPS for my VO rack.

"Processed Through Sort Facility June 12, 2013, 12:23 pm AUSTRALIA International Parcels"

Hopefully that means I can expect them by Friday next week (allowing for customs and courier pigeon by Auspost)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 pm

Rack arrived safely today.
Hmmmmm - doesnt fit.
This was always a possibility due to the fact it was designed around a traditional type touring rig as opposed to a 29er Mountain bike.
The stays which attach to the V-brake bosses appear to be fine, but the stay/bolt which is supposed to go through a hole where the fork legs join, the crown(?) is in completely the wrong place for a Surly Ogre and to utilise, the rack is going to need some radical surgery.
I'll have to get an engineering shop with stainless experience to cut that "stay" from the rack and remount it much higher in a position at the back which acts as a "stop".
Yes struggling with eloquence tonight.
Bottom line - surgery needed of a professional nature.
Hopefully someone good (I'm damn fussy) and not some hack with a new welding ticket.

Hopefully the snaps will show clearer than my explanation.
The first pic is with the fork crown stay in place with the V-brake bosses clearly out of reach and the rack way too high.

Next snaps are with the rack within about 5mm of the envisioned height with the rack astride the V-brake bosses
and with a bit of paper sitting on the tire to get it "roughly" level.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:03 am

How about just putting some sort of bolt-on extension into the bottom of the steerer tube, drilled so that you can bolt it through at the crown as normal and bolt that arm of the rack lower down? That way you won't need to have the rack modified. So just a tube of the right diameter with two holes drilled through it at the right heights.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:03 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:How about just putting some sort of bolt-on extension into the bottom of the steerer tube, drilled so that you can bolt it through at the crown as normal and bolt that arm of the rack lower down? That way you won't need to have the rack modified. So just a tube of the right diameter with two holes drilled through it at the right heights.
Hiya Just4tehhalibut,
If you take a squiz at the pics you'll see that the stays are sitting on/above the brake-bosses. I think when they are dropped the approx 5mm(?) to be located in correct position, then the fork crown stay will be touching the top of the tire.
I might be wrong but I think this needs lopping off and attached much higher up the racks "stop".
When I say "stop" I'm referring to the vertical part of the rack at the riders end of the platform.
I figure if something has to be cut off the rack, its modified and so dont see issue with welding the crown stay
into a different position.
I'm not an engineer so probably missing where your coming from. :oops:
My bottom line is I just want a rack like this that fits and looks like a factory fit with no "unsightly" welding or fabrication.
I'm not worried about the sell ability of the rack once modified as its only ever going to be on the Ogre and once on, is unlikely to be coming off.
My only concern is the aesthetics.
If its unlikely to be able to be achieved, I'll drop the idea of this rack like a hot potato and look at an alternative option like a "porteur" type rack similar to:
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... -rack.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which at 1.079kg. is lighter than a Surly Nice front rack as well as being stainless
or
http://www.passstow.com/psgallery0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (unfortunately not stainless)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mannyacost ... ssandstow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As well there is the:
http://store.somafab.com/soma-porteur-r ... steel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saying all that, I may just decide to be content with the set up I have.
RonK appears to be right in that there really isnt a lot of useful space between my handlebar bag and any front rack above the tyre.
I like having the handlebar bag and also handlebars in the current configuration which eliminate the use of a handlebar bag actually attached to the bars.
I already own a trailer which doesn't get enough use, and can be put to task carrying groceries etc.
My desire for a flat rack really revolves around non tour use, carrying around my alloy camera box and keeping it both within arms reach and under my beady little eyes.
A heavy spill on my last tour made me think twice about carrying my dslr in my bar bag due to its lack of crash protection.
My alloy "box" has a velcro tie-down inside to hold my camera body secure in case of a drop/spill and gives a sense of security.
In truth it can probably sit fine on my rear rack, its just I'm more comfortable being able to keep my beady eye on it.

australiantourer

Postby australiantourer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi Rifraf. This thread is ancient history, and stops abruptly. Did you ever get the rack fitted to your surly? I have just fitted a cheap and ugly aluminium rack to my vivente — it doesn’t even sit level. I’m not sure I can live with it, aesthetically. I have tubus duo fitted as well.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:19 pm

australiantourer wrote:Hi Rifraf. This thread is ancient history, and stops abruptly. Did you ever get the rack fitted to your surly? I have just fitted a cheap and ugly aluminium rack to my vivente — it doesn’t even sit level. I’m not sure I can live with it, aesthetically. I have tubus duo fitted as well.

I did indeed get my rack fitted and got a stainless tab fitted to attach my headlight (Edelux) to.

Pics in here: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... &start=100 scroll down.

After getting the run around locally, I travelled to Dunsborough down the coast where I favour the local bike shops customer service (something I failed to find for the most part in Perth), and willing to pay what ever it took just to have the whole exercise done and dusted, was assisted by the LBS to drop off the bike and rack and pick up around an hour later to a stainless welder of their acquaintance.

The final tally was eyewatering but a huge relief to have finished and all taken care of from go to woah in but a modicum of time.

The expense is long forgotten and I still enjoy the aesthetic of my front rack setup with no inclination to change it.

The rack doesn't do a lot of work and couldn't be easily justified price wise by its utility but it seems a decent enough fit for my aluminium camera case which I prefer up front where I can keep an eye on it rather than "maybe" sitting on my rear rack.

australiantourer

Postby australiantourer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Thanks for the update. It’s a very elegant rack indeed. I’m glad you got it mounted. I think the concept of a ‘universal rack’ is an oxymoron — they always need tinkering.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:22 pm

australiantourer wrote:Thanks for the update. It’s a very elegant rack indeed. I’m glad you got it mounted. I think the concept of a ‘universal rack’ is an oxymoron — they always need tinkering.
In this case the surgery was a necessity due to the suspension corrected front fork of the Ogre.

I had no concept of this when I bought the bike and its inherent challenges.

I think something more traditional would have eliminated the need.

I'm merely glad its all over one way or tother.

I really got sick of the sight of said rack sitting on my work bench as opposed to the bikes lack of shiny eye candy adornment.

It nearly ended up within the for sale section of the forum a few times due to how hard it was to get what I deem decent service from the local engineering services I tried.

Did I have unrealistic expectations?

I think that seeing that it could be very easily done in the tiny town of Dunsborough down WA's southern coast as opposed to locally suggests otherwise.

The workshops in greater Perth, that I tried, had a leave the bike with us and we'll get it done at our leisure attitude appears endemic and didn't work for me.

Its not unusual in that almost every job I've ever wanted to get done, that I couldn't do myself, involved surprise and contempt that I wasn't willing to simply leave my bike and they'd get back to me at their leisure with nothing coming close to an ETA.

No problem, as I find Dunsborough a pleasant location to while away a few days at "my leisure" rather than someone elses.

I've a sneaking suspicion that the businesses in Dunsborough still remember the now old fashioned concept of "repeat business", "customer service" and "satisfied customer" which sadly appear lost to many businesses in heavier populated areas.