Avanti Inc 2 vs Giant Seek 1

comehome

Re: Avanti Inc 2 vs Giant Seek 1

Postby comehome » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:27 pm

^ okay, you've got me. what exactly is a belt drive and why might i want one? do the above bikes have said capabilities?

edit: did some googling and thanks for the heads up. yes, i think i would like to have a belt drive. to clarify, the bikes i've listed above without the belt drive (all besides the avanti?) cannot be retrofitted with the alfine / belt-drive combo. again, newbie question, but why is this so?

inc 2 is back at the top of the list, it seems.

cheers.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:19 am

Belts are one-piece. The belt/chain needs to loop through the rear triangle of the frame. So you need a joint in the frame through which to pass the belt. Most bikes don't have these joints because a chain can be separated and joined together at its links. You can't cut and rejoin a belt.

Belt wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me unless I have more kids that are going to get their hands all over the chain, as is currently happening with my 2 year old... Chains are much cheaper to find parts for, and less reliant on accurate alignment and tensioning.

comehome

Postby comehome » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:13 pm

^ that makes sense. altough it appears on the focus, due to the frame design, you can retrofit a belt drive if you so desired.

anyone care to comment on the focus planet series? might be a nice half-way house between the avantis and the cannondales.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:46 pm

All I know is I used to have the avanti. And all I could think about was the focus...
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

fortiscause

Postby fortiscause » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:46 pm

So what is the final choice? Avanti Inc 2 or the Focus?