Anyone heard of Flight Bikes ?

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Anyone heard of Flight Bikes ?

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:07 pm

rodneycc wrote: before they were swallowed up by Amart Sports/Super Cheap group.
They (we) have owned Goldcross since 2008, the only major change was the transition from being a standalone brand to a store in store concept within Amart (which we acquired a few years ago). The flight brand was developed in house (from memory mostly by Chris who got you the geo details).

In the time that has passed since my last post in this thread I cant offer much more on the two in my shed, neither of them get ridden much (the metro comp not at all)..... :roll:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:48 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
rodneycc wrote: before they were swallowed up by Amart Sports/Super Cheap group.
They (we) have owned Goldcross since 2008, the only major change was the transition from being a standalone brand to a store in store concept within Amart (which we acquired a few years ago). The flight brand was developed in house (from memory mostly by Chris who got you the geo details).

In the time that has passed since my last post in this thread I cant offer much more on the two in my shed, neither of them get ridden much (the metro comp not at all)..... :roll:
Hi Chief, A bit disappointing. Chris gave me the big Flight and Amart Sports are going to rule the world speech and its never really happened. Maybe the wheels of time turn slowly but I haven't seen it yet!

On another topic. What size bike are you? There's a nice Baum Corretto going if you are a size 56. Was even thinking whether you wanted to go halves/shares with me! :-)

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=79335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers Rod
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:10 pm

Before I go any further, I forgot my usual disclaimer in my last post. When I say we, I mean I work for the group, but dont work for goldcross (or amart). Opinions are my own etc etc (they have to be, because I know as much about what they are up to as Joe public does).

That aside, there's a saying about Rome that probably applies here. If you are interested I daresay theres more than enough info of the hows/why's/etc available in the annual report and asx releases (thats where my knowledge of it comes from ultimately)

I've probably said my piece elsewhere on here about b&m retailing in general enough as it is, so I wont bother rehashing it. Having worked for major retailers almost my entire working life the only thing I can definitively say is that it aint getting any easier for anyone. Target is a prime example and Kmart is the exception to the rule.

Ultimately, if you like the bike, does it really matter?

I ride a 54 but can ride a 56 in a pinch. But dont tempt me! My current roadie is not getting thelove she deserves as it is :p
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:31 pm

Yeah remember you saying all that before.

Your sizing sounds about the same as me. My ideal bike is a 55 (thats why I like the Bianchi) but I can get away with a 54 or 56 adjusted. Think I remember you saying your dream bike was a Baum too for memory!

I wonder if it is such a silly idea to do a bike purchase/swap. Makes good economic and space saving sense to me!

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:30 am

rodneycc wrote: Your sizing sounds about the same as me. My ideal bike is a 55 (thats why I like the Bianchi) but I can get away with a 54 or 56 adjusted. Think I remember you saying your dream bike was a Baum too for memory!
Yup, pretty good chance that was me 8)

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:37 pm

Just back to the Flight's for a moment. I recently went n-1 and was weighing up the decision of selling either the Flight Podium 1 or a 2012 Cannondale CAAD10. I sold the CAAD10 in the end (not only because it was easier to sell) but the Flight is actually a more smoother ride and also slightly quicker. A better overall bike I reckon and that's saying something.

FWIW: Bianchi Infinito CV > Giant defy Comp 1 > Flight Podium 1 > Cannondale CAAD10 105 (and haven't done enough kms on the Roubaix to be ranked yet)

Snowy68

Postby Snowy68 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:08 pm

Hi All,

I bought a Flight CR2 just before Christmas which was a 2011 model. http://www.flightbikes.com.au/road-bikes/cr2.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Managed to get it for $750, plus it included Shimano 105 clip-less pedals, Shimano road shoes with cleats (which fit fortunately), gloves, lights, gear bag with spare tube, repair kit, multi-tool, tyre levers and CO2 canisters. So a pretty good deal IMO. Bike still has original tyres on it, so hasn't done a lot of kilometres.

Before that I'd been doing road rides on my Cell MTB. Nothing wrong with that bike, but not meant for long km. Got on the CR2 and knocked my 30 mins off my 30 km loop (from 1hr 45 mins on MTB, down to 1 hr 15 mins. Since getting the CR2, I've done a few rides over 100 km. Bike performing well and no issues. Mainly ride south of Heathcote (Sydney) on the highway, which is not the smoothest surface, but bike handles it well and have been up to 67 km/h. No soreness or stiffness after the long rides, which is good. I'm about 90 kg and 175 cm. The bike is a 52 cm model.

Cheers,
Snowy.