Peddles and shoes for Crossrip Limited

Jet01

Peddles and shoes for Crossrip Limited

Postby Jet01 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:41 pm

I've never been into bikes. Don't know much about the gear.

The crossrip Limited comes with flat peddles, but I want to get some proper shoes and pedals for it.

This is going to be my only bike so I want to able to have peddles that can allow me to just put thongs on to pop down the shop for some milk without having To put shoes on, As well as train.

I'm looking at spending Around 250 on shoes and pedals. I prefer shimano gear as I've had a lot of their fishing gear over the years and it's never really let me down.

Most of my riding will be around the Sutherland area road/dirt.

Could you suggest some models of shoes and peddles that work well together?

Jet01

Re: Peddles and shoes for Crossrip Limited

Postby Jet01 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Is this too much of a noob question for anyone to answer?

I'm worried about getting the wrong peddles and the wrong shoes.

That website chain reaction seems to have some good deals so I'm thinking of buying online to save some cash.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:32 pm

It's not too hard a question, but there are so many options on the market that it's about choosing something that best suits you. But a "SPD" (mountain bike) standard of cleat is probably the best choice.

Shimano A530 pedals would allow you to use bike shoes or thongs as desired. As for shoes it depends if you will be on road or off, if purely on road then I would look at the Shimano touring shoes (RT32, RT52, RT82) otherwise whatever fits your budget or taste from the MTB range

Buying online is fine, any of the sponsors to the right are reputable, but be aware that Shimano shoes tend to be a snug fit so you may need to go up a size. And it's poor form to try on a pair in a shop then buy it online instead...

Jet01

Postby Jet01 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:19 pm

Thanks again for your help.

I bought some a350 pedals and some shimano m088 shoes. Very comfy shoes. Very versatile pedals. Have already riden the bike with thongs and clip in shoes.

Excellent combination for an allrounder bike

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:27 am

350? I assume you mean 530?

I have them on my commuter. Good pedals but the non Spd side is a bit slippery. Covering them in skateboard style grip tape is a good option.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:44 am

I found the same with my a530 pedals. Ended up not using the flat side at all so sold them and bought double sided pedals.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:57 am

Hey, looks like a great bike... congrats!

As mentioned, the only issue with the A530's is possible slipperiness on the flat side. The griptape idea may work (and will definitely improve things), but if your a bit handy you could look at adding some set screws, similar to what many good flat pedals have. This MTBR thread details how someone else has done just that:
http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/shi ... 32551.html

...but if your not having issues, just ride & enjoy!
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area