Buying a Canyon

Ignoto

Re: Buying a Canyon

Postby Ignoto » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:04 am

mogwaiboi wrote:I'm considering buying an Ultimate CF SL Frameset at some stage and getting it delivered to a friend in the UK, then getting him to forward it onto me. At the moment it would be around $1800AUD to get it delivered to him.
I was thinking of a similar thing but was tempted to try the "friend is shipping his bike over before he visits and I'm just keeping it at the house till he gets here". Then if Custom ever questions it, he's gotta save up for his trip to Aus after dropping bulk cash on the bike :lol:

Fitzroy

Postby Fitzroy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:57 am

AUbicycles wrote:Be aware that false customs declarations carry tough penalties.
Good job you're not making the declaration and your 'friend' is. :)

To go to even more trouble, if you feel you have to, get your friend to unpack it and repack in another box from the LBS to make it look second hand. Maybe even a $10 seat, handlebars and stem to seal the deal!

"Happy Birthday"! Here's that bike frame you bought me for Christmas last year. I don't need it anymore, Enjoy :wink:
Make sure a Birthday card is sellotaped to the box!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:39 am

I know, it is important to be aware of the view and interest of customs and to be aware and informed when importing.
Cycling is in my BNA

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:51 pm

Hate to bring up an old topic, but has anyone had success with this recently?

Weighing up my options in the months ahead.
Unfortunately I won't be travelling which will make it trickier.

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:50 pm

My cousin (German) may be able to bring it into Australia with him.

If it's in the unopened box will I be up for import duties/tax or will it be classed as luggage?

edsa

Postby edsa » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:19 am

Probably if its brand new and unassembled. Get him to assemble it ride it around a bit, pack it up in a scicon and come to Australia on a cycle holiday. ;)

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:31 pm

I have one on the radar and know a guy in Norway who will most likely help me out with the purchase. I'm chasing a frame only and he'll have to send it and I'll most likely be charged duties/GST, but it's still a very cheap option for a top tier frame. $2-2.5k for an Ultimate CF SLX! Only problem is I have to wait until after a holiday in July to see how much $$$ I have left. Hopefully the dollar doesn't do a shart dive in the meantime.

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:56 pm

I've read a few threads in these forums and the whole idea is starting to move into the too hard basket.

With duties etc it will be over $3.5k for an Aeroad frameset which on it's own is about ballpark, but not with the added hassle for my cousin.
And yeah, Aussie dollar isn't doing any favours either.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:49 pm

Have you checked out the factory outlet part of their site. New older model frames avaiable at significantly cheaper prices, but limited to certain sizes & frame options. Also do you know anyone in other parts of the world who could order for you? They're significantly cheaper outside of the euro zone. I had a mate that is just returning from the UK who I was thinking of grabbing one for me, but he ended up coming back too early. Turns out I'd save over $600 on retail alone going via Norway instead!

For me, the desire for a Canyon is more than aesthetics. It is my last ditch at a carbon frame before I look at a custom metal job. I'm looking at their 3XL which may give you an idea why I don't have a lot of other options.

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:18 pm

Yeah but they're all 2014 frames. There are significant improvements with the 2015 Aeroads.
There may be a sale around July as I recall there was some nice discounts last year.

I'll be looking at an XL or 2XL which is difficult enough.
Good luck!

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:18 pm

saw the activity on this thread and thought it would be about
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/35922605" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

advertising for a marketing manager for Canyon Aus. so patience grasshoppers, looks like they're coming

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:54 pm

It does... Exciting times!

I am sure that the price will be raised inline with other already established local offerings, however... I am betting that we dont get the same value for money type deals that they seem to offer over in the EU, but I hope they prove me wrong.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:56 pm

that's possible, but if you look at the closest example, YT mountain bikes, they're newly released aus prices are very good.

slowK

Postby slowK » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:32 pm

tubby74 wrote:saw the activity on this thread and thought it would be about
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/35922605" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

advertising for a marketing manager for Canyon Aus. so patience grasshoppers, looks like they're coming
Wow - sharp pickup!

I also really wanted a Canyon but also ended putting it in the too hard basket

beanbiken

Postby beanbiken » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:56 am

tubby74 wrote:saw the activity on this thread and thought it would be about

Woo-Who........ sounds promising. But do we only want one because it is so hard to get one :wink:

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:59 am

Unfortunately I bet they are Cervelo prices by the time they get here.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:47 pm

beanbiken wrote:But do we only want one because it is so hard to get one :wink:
Not me, it's because I'm a freakin big oaf and the reviews from other freakin big oafs are very good. For one it's the size, and the secondary benefit is chainstay clearance which is a frustration for me on bikes other than endurance models

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:26 pm

beanspropulsion wrote:Unfortunately I bet they are Cervelo prices by the time they get here.
There will be a healthy margin added no doubt, but I expect they'll target the Giant-level price range ie. Excellent bang for your buck, lower-end price of the top-end frames

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:51 pm

Wouldn't it be feasible that they are just using their existing sales model, but perhaps using a local marketing representative to raise awareness to the brand here? Please, please, please let this be the case.....

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:06 pm

I thought that was the idea... Someone local to deal with warranties etc... Sounds like a pretty good gig for the right person.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 pm

When I spoke to Canyon in 2009, they said it was the legal stuff which is the problem. Didn't provide too much details but customer rights in Europe are in favour of the customer, and when they retail from Germany, they have to honor this. (I am not saying that the UK retailers follow the same process).

The best case would be local promotion but shipping direct to Australia (rather than warehousing) but looking after customer support locally. Obviously Australian business won't like that however with the average bike cost being over $1000, then it will be hard to complain because customs duty and GST will be levied. (Actually, complete bikes have an customs duty exemption.... but all importers get this exemption, I understand the exemption is still in place).
Cycling is in my BNA

nech.q

Postby nech.q » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:16 am

What I've heard is Canyon is coming to Australia. http://www.bikeradar.com/au/news/articl ... alia-43803" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But when?

wgc138

Postby wgc138 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:21 am

I was seriously thinking of getting one via singapore but at the end, it was too much of a logistic nightmare for a bike just in case its damaged in transit, costs and etc. I know its not just any bike, its a canyon... not a lot of them over here and that's probably the best fact of owning one until they decide to play ball and start selling here.

alcantara-AUS

Postby alcantara-AUS » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:49 am

I;m also think to import via Singapore.
Did anyone find a broker in SG that would ship to Australia?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:11 pm

For interest, Canyon Bikes officially suggest no immediate plans for availability in Australia.
Canyon wrote:At this time, Canyon has no definite plans regarding sales and distribution in Australia. Should this change, we will be certain to communicate this through our social media and email channels....

.....I apologize I am unable to offer better news about shipments to Australia at this time, but thank you once again for your interest in Canyon.
Cycling is in my BNA