Buying a Canyon

Mububban

Re: Buying a Canyon

Postby Mububban » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:24 pm

I can't see those images either
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:51 am

Have any Canyon owners found that the website sizing guide just didn't fit them? Or are they spot on, even if you thought "hmm that's not what I usually ride?"

I'm considering saving up for a Strive AL and the website fitting process recommends Large, but a LBS staff member of identical height and build to me says he prefers an XL to avoid feeling cramped on the bike.

It would be for sedate green and blue trails, not bombing downhills and doing backflips etc :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:52 am

i wad looking at a spectral. reach for their medium wsd 20mm shorter than my current ride which is a tad small but the online calculator still said medium. talked to their inline chat and they said go large. tales a bit of faith buying online in cases like that.

aive

Postby aive » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:06 am

Mububban wrote:Have any Canyon owners found that the website sizing guide just didn't fit them? Or are they spot on, even if you thought "hmm that's not what I usually ride?"

I'm considering saving up for a Strive AL and the website fitting process recommends Large, but a LBS staff member of identical height and build to me says he prefers an XL to avoid feeling cramped on the bike.

It would be for sedate green and blue trails, not bombing downhills and doing backflips etc :)
Road bike - M size - was spot on. But I made sure by comparing dimensions to my Merida L frame beforehand.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:57 am

Do you have to pay additional duty and fees etc when buying a Canyon?

http://www.bicycles.net.au/2010/08/ulti ... as-orders/

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:13 am

Mububban wrote:Do you have to pay additional duty and fees etc when buying a Canyon?

I'm pretty sure Canyon covers this in their $200 delivery fee and/or price, plus their price includes GST. So in effect Canyon Australia are importing the bike, not you. But their site is vague on this fact, so I'd use their chat function to confirm, just to be sure.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:55 pm

Mububban wrote:Do you have to pay additional duty and fees etc when buying a Canyon?

No. Price is inclusive of all charges and there are no additional fees.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:32 pm

Cheers. New Bike Day is still a ways off, but it's likely going to be between a TCR and an Ultimate, hard to beat for spec, price and weight (aiming for under/on 7kg with mechanical Ultegra). Just needs to be a proper price comparison!

mr_otsu

Postby mr_otsu » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:12 pm

mogwaiboi wrote:
mr_otsu wrote:
mogwaiboi wrote:Hi All

Can anyone please advise how much frame clearance there is front and back on an Ultimate with 25mm tyres? I'm looking to replace my older Cervelo R3 with another frame as it has bugger all clearance front and back...
I just ordered the Ultimate CF SL Disc 9.0 in the sale. Comes standard with 25's, looks like plenty of space to me and no issues with 28 or even 30. Pics of rear and front:

Hope this helps, and happy to answer any other questions where I can.
Thank you, I couldn't see the images for some reason. I wonder if there is a difference between the clearance of a disc frame Ultimate vs caliper frame...
Sorry let me try again - was sharing my own Google Photo links, so makes sense that you can't see it.

Attempt #2:

Am sure you'll be able to fit a 30 tyre in there

mr_otsu

Postby mr_otsu » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Mububban wrote:Cheers. New Bike Day is still a ways off, but it's likely going to be between a TCR and an Ultimate, hard to beat for spec, price and weight (aiming for under/on 7kg with mechanical Ultegra). Just needs to be a proper price comparison!
both are very nice bikes, I'm sure you'll enjoy either one.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:25 pm

I'm looking at buying an old Canyon Ultimate CF PRO carbon frame set.
Are there any things in particular i should consider or look for, apart from stress marks and cracks.
Here's a few photos.. I'm not sure what the large pin hole is underneath the BB.
What year might it be ? Cheers

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:15 pm

Threaded bottom bracket shell is definitely a plus! The fitted cups are for a Campagnolo crank/BB, so will need to be swapped out if speccing up with anything else.

The hole is likely a drain/breather hole; looks like a fairly large bottom bracket shell, with a cavity between the outer frame and threaded liner. The hole allows any condensation that forms inside the frame to drain, and for changes in air pressure.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:37 pm

stevenaaus wrote:
What year might it be ? Cheers
That model was released around 2010
https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/can ... -slx-team/
https://road.cc/content/review/36714-ca ... -cf-slx-80

I own an Ultimate AL8 same time period with external cable routing, even prefer it to my more recent 2017 Ultimate SLX AL

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:35 pm

Thanks.. affirms what i was kind-of thinking. Yes, i'm keen on the threaded BB too, as i (think i) have the parts already and of course it's an easier job than PF, which i've never done before.

I think i'll just take along a stem/bars and make sure the acros headset/clamp seems to be working ok. There's a bit of talk online that they are troublesome - come loose and/or need replacing. I assume the (expensive) Acros AI-70 goes on both the CF SLX and CF Pro models.

EDIT - the headset bearings are a press fit too. My mate probably has home made tools that'll work, but hitting carbon frames with hammers is not high on my to-do list.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:21 pm

stevenaaus wrote:I think i'll just take along a stem/bars and make sure the acros headset/clamp seems to be working ok. There's a bit of talk online that they are troublesome - come loose and/or need replacing.
Don't forget the steerer is OS ie 1 1/4 which means you need an OS stem, both mine are 2nd hand Giant branded ones.

I have put almost 30,000km into my acros headset ( and it was in a 2nd hame frame) without issue, so I can't complain.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:47 pm

nickobec wrote:Don't forget the steerer is OS ie 1 1/4 which means you need an OS stem, both mine are 2nd hand Giant branded ones.

I have put almost 30,000km into my acros headset ( and it was in a 2nd hame frame) without issue, so I can't complain.
Cheers mate. I was beginning to think i knew it all until reading up about this frame.
What sort of headset is that, pressfit !? An over sized stem !?
I have nine road stems in my cupboard , and thankfully one 1-1/4" Giant Contact with a removable sleeve.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:20 pm

Well - i got the frame :twisted:

It has a great finish/clear-coat still, but some decent chain scratches on the frame above hanger. The headset bearings need a grease, but seem to be ok, and we had to get a bike shop to remove the campag(?) cups from the BSA, as my sh*tty tool wasn't up to it and the installation grease had gone hard.

If possible i'm hoping to find/make something in the way of custom stickers that'll give it the flavour of the special edition of Cadel's 2009 WC winning bike :) Better put some kit on it this weekend and see how it goes first.
(there is also a rainbow kangaroo behind the dropbars on the headtube)

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:01 pm

Hmmm.. The fork won't release from the head tube.

Some online advice says soaking bottom bearing to get it to release isn't great for the frame.... Might be time to take it to the bike shop and get new bearings? as I think the bearings are a press fit type too.