Buying a Canyon

Crawf

Re: Buying a Canyon

Postby Crawf » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:40 pm

Currently rolling around Japan on it.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:39 pm

Crawf wrote:Currently rolling around Japan on it.
Lucky bugger.

My trip will be Italy & France coinciding with last 2 weeks of TdF 2016 :D :D :D

spider1974

Postby spider1974 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:54 pm

I looked into this too...decided to wait until they are here....now I just need them to release a frameset (Aeroad or ultimate) in Katusha red!

panosk

Postby panosk » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:04 am

I checked today canyon's web site, to admire my future frameset.
Guess what ! There are no frameset available for sale.
It seems that canyon decided to sell only complete bikes.
I hope i am wrong.
...each turn of the pedals, every single meter gained, hurts...

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:25 am

I see what you mean, but as I watched and waited to buy my frameset, the numbers also dwindled, it may just be a case of out of stock for the year.
From what I understand they do allocate frames/parts well in advance, so they could simply just be out of framesets only, as opposed to having an allocation of frames reserved for full bike builds if that makes sense?

panosk

Postby panosk » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:32 pm

Mystery solved.

I chatted online with their support and got the answer:

"At the moment we update our homepage
so we will offer our framesets soon in our shop"

By the way, with which other bike manufacturer can you answer your queries by chatting online ?

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:55 am

panosk wrote:Mystery solved.

I chatted online with their support and got the answer:

"At the moment we update our homepage
so we will offer our framesets soon in our shop"

By the way, with which other bike manufacturer can you answer your queries by chatting online ?
My credit card is ready :p 2016 Black Ultegra Di2 Aeroad with the Reynolds. Can't go wrong.
https://www.canyon.com/en/road/aeroad/2 ... 0-di2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4299 Euro including 19% vat so take 9% and keep the 10% for GST should be an approximate?

Leaves it at just over $6000AUD. Wow the Australian dollar is simply abysmal.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:06 pm

Just a heads up, your Australian CC probably wouldn't be accepted anyway by the Canyon site. Both of mine were rejected. Obviously this will change next year.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:05 pm

(AT) ItsDank, Are you trying it for Aus delivery. It don`t do Aus delivery at the mo. Have a look in shipping terms.

https://www.canyon.com/en/legal/shipping-terms/

As Crawf stated above but might have to check it again next year to see if it had changed the shipping.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:03 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:(AT) ItsDank, Are you trying it for Aus delivery. It don`t do Aus delivery at the mo. Have a look in shipping terms.

https://www.canyon.com/en/legal/shipping-terms/

As Crawf stated above but might have to check it again next year to see if it had changed the shipping.
I'm not trying. I am, like many, simply waiting for the Aussie website to go live this December.

I've been recommended by my bike fitter to go for the small frame rather than my usual medium due to the Canyon Geo chart and ask for a 120mm H11 stem. Should be interesting, I'm not a huge guy and I only just fit on my Fuji frame so it'll be interesting to see what the handling feels like on a small!

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:40 pm

ItsDank wrote:I've been recommended by my bike fitter to go for the small frame rather than my usual medium due to the Canyon Geo chart and ask for a 120mm H11 stem. Should be interesting, I'm not a huge guy and I only just fit on my Fuji frame so it'll be interesting to see what the handling feels like on a small!
If you were in Perth you could take my small Canyon AL8 with 130mm stem for a spin. My other bike is a Fuji SL M/L with 110mm stem. Much prefer the handling of the Canyon for racing.

BTW I am 184cm tall

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:44 pm

nickobec wrote:
ItsDank wrote:I've been recommended by my bike fitter to go for the small frame rather than my usual medium due to the Canyon Geo chart and ask for a 120mm H11 stem. Should be interesting, I'm not a huge guy and I only just fit on my Fuji frame so it'll be interesting to see what the handling feels like on a small!
If you were in Perth you could take my small Canyon AL8 with 130mm stem for a spin. My other bike is a Fuji SL M/L with 110mm stem. Much prefer the handling of the Canyon for racing.

BTW I am 184cm tall
This sounds encouraging. I ride with a guy who brought his Canyon Ultimate over from the UK as he was relocating for work. Absolutely swears by the handling of the bike and I guess you'd need to if you're going to drop 5 to 6K on a frame you've bought on the internet, direct. I'll put my Fuji up for sale once the Canyon gets here and if it doesn't sell then I'll simply keep it as my commuter bike. I'm not a big believer in having multiple bikes for different purposes, generally if I'm buying a frame it's going to get use every day regardless of whether that's commuting or racing.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:53 am

3XL appears dropped from the Ultimate SLX line :?

Also doesn't look like any frameset only options either :(

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:18 am

brief mention of AU pricing ..

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/10/canyo ... sl-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:31 am

caneye wrote:brief mention of AU pricing ..

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/10/canyo ... sl-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With that pricing I'm hoping that the Di2 Ultegra version with Reynolds wheels will sit around $6000 to $6500.

march83

Postby march83 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:04 pm

and framesets around 4k?

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:14 pm

march83 wrote:and framesets around 4k?
Looking around on the different website versions (countries) that Canyon has, I can't seem to find any frameset only options. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:50 pm

ItsDank wrote:
march83 wrote:and framesets around 4k?
Looking around on the different website versions (countries) that Canyon has, I can't seem to find any frameset only options. Happy to be proved wrong though.
The lack of listed framesets is clarified above.

As a reference 2mths ago, I had an Aeroad shipped to Japan, it cost me $37xx, plus $160 to clear Jap customs.
I would have purchased a full bike but the wait would have been 2-3mths.

Il_Mascalzone

Postby Il_Mascalzone » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:52 pm

I lived in the uk for close to 10 years and only moved back to Melbourne in Feb this year, managed to bring back my 2 Canyons (2013 Aeroad with Chorus & a 2014 Ultimate CF SL with Athena).

After hearing the news that Canyon were finally going to sell to Australia, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed that I wouldn't have a rare bike her anymore! Didn't take long for me to realise that it was a good thing though, stoked that I could buy a Canyon mountain bike plus all the parts and accessories (especially 1 1/4 Canyon branded stems).

Their service in the UK was very good, always replied to emails and we're happy to send out small things like top caps etc. I will say this though, once you order one, don't be surprised if your order runs late, gets delayed. They can sell out quick!

Also, despite the quality and fantastic packaging, they get assembled a bit 'dry' (you can find other stories like this on various forums), I took apart both bikes and regreased everything!

That's about the worst thing I can say about them, amazing value and superb bikes!

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:15 pm

Early December. My credit card is super ready!

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/news/a ... red-45677/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are lots of factors affecting prices. The Australian retail prices will be close to if you do a straight currency conversion from Europe and add GST – although it’s not that simple.

"We’re certainly aware of the market and where our bikes sit in price. Our global aim as a company is to make performance bikes accessible.

"We want to be very competitive, but there’s so much fluctuation in the Australian dollar versus the Euro that we must be careful. We’ll be using fixed pricing for the season, and so prices won’t change day to day like other online stores that use a basic currency conversion.
Looks like they'll aim to hedge on the aussie dollar for at least a year.

panosk

Postby panosk » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:56 pm

Early December has pass, now it's mid-December and no canyon bikes yet.
It seems that the whole thing will go for next year.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:42 pm

I can ask.... I saw a review by another Australian website and have asked to be kept in the loop. Let me see if I can provide any news on Canyon availability in Australia
Cycling is in my BNA

slian

Postby slian » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:46 am

Heard from a friend who heard it from another friend who heard it from the Canyon guy at the Melb Rapha pop up there will be some update today...

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:21 pm

One on my MTB club cohorts has recently started working at Canyon Aus. If nothing has popped up by the end of the week I can dig for info when we catch up at our next Club event on Friday.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:31 am

australian pricing is now on the canyon website