Buying a Canyon

Crawf

Re: Buying a Canyon

Postby Crawf » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:17 am

I'm looking to purchase a frameset and have it sent to a Belgium hotel ahead of a trip to ToF & PR next year, to anyone that has purchased through them, what is their order generation and despatch time like if in stock?

slian

Postby slian » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:43 pm

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/news/a ... and-44898/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like it's finally coming...will be watching the pricing with interest to see if still represent value given the exchange rates and overhead of supporting Oceania direct.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:51 pm

Yep that's the million dollar question, will they be great value once they hit our shores? I'd say no.
They have some huge steps to take in improving their stock, ordering and communication systems, dealing with them over the last month has been a nightmare. They'll get eaten alive by consumers over here if they don't improve on this.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:29 pm

I reckon that bicycle paintjob on the bikeradar article looks cool - needs green instead of blue though!
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:35 pm

Canyon are now officially coming to Australia.

While Canyon have missed the boat by years by failing to capitalise on the Cadel Evans connection and success, the bikes are none the less very competitive in Europe and if they can retain the same pricing and avoid hiking the price while also bringing the same brand feeling and value to Australians, then it is a well regarded German brand with a good reputation which offers serious competition to other traditional European bike brands.

Yes, even up to April 2015 following their job advertising for an Australian Sales rep they told me that Australia is not on their agenda. Clearly communication is not their strong point, keeping in mind that I have been asking them since 2008... in person in Germany.

Thanks to CyclingIQ for spotting this.

Breaking away from the norm is central to everything that Canyon does, whether in bike design or the way the company does business. As a pioneer of direct sales within the industry, orders placed online at Canyon.com will be assembled at the Canyon.Factory in Koblenz, Germany, and sent straight to the doorsteps of riders Down Under. The new team at Canyon Australia & New Zealand will operate out of Melbourne and provide full support to customers in the region, from service queries to buying advice, in addition to representing Canyon at events from 2016 onwards.

Leading the team will be the new Australia & New Zealand Market Manager, Darryl Moliere: “After following the Canyon brand for many years, I can honestly say that I am extremely excited and honoured to be the first Australian member of the global Canyon Crew. Having recently returned from a visit to Canyon.Home in Koblenz it was clear to see that the whole team there, from R&D right through to production and quality assurance, is focussed and driven to create the best bikes, as proven by the numerous awards and distinctions Canyon bikes have received already in Europe. To be able to offer these bikes to the Australian and New Zealand markets for the first time with a level of service that matches the product quality is going to be a new and exciting period for all cycling enthusiasts from Down Under.”
Cycling is in my BNA

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:37 am

They aren't cheap but by crikey they are well specced for the money...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:00 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:They aren't cheap but by crikey they are well specced for the money...
and gorgeous.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:02 pm

On price, in Germany they are in fact very competitive.

They don't price in the 'race to the bottom', rather fit very well amongst other established brand names and with their customer direct offer great value for money, hence the Australian interest.

But... let's see what happens - while they raise the price for Australians or offer a genuine conversion (+ postage). If they do a conversion and do a good job marketing, and encourage buyers to buy these big ticket items online (most are more comfortable purchasing instore) then they will be even more attractive lined up against European brands coming to Australia the traditional way.

It will be interesting to see how they present their service and warranty for Australian customers as well.
Cycling is in my BNA

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:35 pm

AUbicycles wrote:On price, in Germany they are in fact very competitive.
Never said they weren't. I said they were well specced for the price. Even if the price was top dollar. And out of my league.... Damn it!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:55 pm

Are test rides available?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:11 am

Regarding timing, Canyon have responded saying that they are planning to launch before the end of 2015.
They will have a website and customer server then available.
Cycling is in my BNA

bomber

Postby bomber » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Interested to see how this pans out as by all accounts they make very very good bikes.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:57 pm

For what it's worth. I managed to get mine and absolutely love it. Looks like Canyon should be getting here just in time for me to order a new one!
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:00 pm

Pravda wrote:For what it's worth. I managed to get mine and absolutely love it. Looks like Canyon should be getting here just in time for me to order a new one!
Details dude!?

What model, what size, what was the wait, did you pick it up in Europa?

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:25 pm

I actually cheated and got mine off a guy in Perth who'd bought it in Europe, hardly ridden it and had to sell it when he got back. I did have plans to buy one in Europe and bring it back (I had a nicely timed holiday planned) but when this one came up I couldn't go past it.
I've got the 2013 Aerode with Dura Ace Di2 and it's awesome, but I'm hoping to buy a new Aerode frame in Oz when they get here. We'll see.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:50 pm

Anyone got any news about canyon availability?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:46 pm

Towards the end of the year (which is soon) and they will start with the 2016 range.

I asked Darryl Moliere (Aus / NZ manager for Canyon) about the pricing and he suggested "Pricing will definitely be on par with the EU pricing." That is really good news for Australians.
Cycling is in my BNA

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:34 pm

So November/December then?

And so how cheap would that make them? On par with Giant?

I haven't really researched them that much so sorry for the newbie questions, but how will the sales/support work? You buy the bike off the net and that's it, you have to go to your lbs to get fitted properly and hope you picked the right frame size? Will they be shipping from local warehouses or will it be a long wait from overseas?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:30 am

I'd assume they would align with some partners in each city to cover the support side of things?
Excuse me for being pessimistic, but I'd be very surprised if they were ready to service Australia by the end of this year... but I hope they surprise me.
Like every other country they sell to, all stock comes direct out of Germany, nothing local.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:24 pm

Just spotted, the 2016 models (or some of them) have been released by Canyon.

To answer the questions, (my opinion):

- For timing, often 2016 get released early and then traditionally go to dealers anywhere from now to December. Canyon don't have dealers though their current 20-16 announcement suggests October and I assume Australia will align.

- How cheap, well perhaps affordable is a better description. They have a Carbon Fiber road bike with Shimano 105 for €1399 (= AUD 2100 + duty* + GST). With Dura Ace it is €2899 (=AUD 4350 + duty* + GST)

Perhaps an easy description is that with their direct to customer approach - on spec alone they are better value than other brands purchased instore. The quality and performance of the bikes are well regarded.

- Shipping will be direct from Germany. Under EU law, retailers have been collecting taxes for shipping to other EU countries though this would generally not apply to Australia. Unless they can change the processes, GST will be collected in Australia so customers need to add this. I used an asterisk for Duty because complete bikes are exempt from duty (but not from GST).

- As a customer, you will not have the advantage of getting fitted like in a local store, unless Canyon setup partnerships. In any case, not as simple as going to your local store. It means that Canyon may appeal to confident cyclists who know their requirements. I assume that will also have demo bikes - though access is a different question. We will have to wait and see.

- Shipping times is an interesting one, while the UK online retailers have fine-tuned, shipping from Germany is generally very slow. I get regular mail and parcels from Germany, usually not express and they can take months to arrive. I assume that Canyon will opt for a logistics partner with a faster turn-around. Potentially evening managing customs clearance.
Cycling is in my BNA

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:04 pm

Thanks for the info! That does sound cheap for dura ace. Look forward to more news.

battler2

Postby battler2 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:32 pm

shipping from germany? fail to see the benefits now. pay your own GST + customs handling, need warranty? send it all the way back.

not much different from picking one up on a trip to the EU really.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:44 pm

If you purchased overseas and brought it back, typically you would be eligible to pay the tax on the import. While it may be waived, I understand that you need to declare and so should calculate in the GST.

I am expecting that with the local agent, they will be specifically looking at warranty. I would assume that if there are warranty issues, customers can send or bring to a local partner and the issues would be resolved without dealing with international shipping. Of course I am speculating however it wouldn't make sense for Canyon to make it risky and inconvenient for customers.
Cycling is in my BNA

herzog

Postby herzog » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:14 pm

AUbicycles wrote:- Shipping will be direct from Germany. Under EU law, retailers have been collecting taxes for shipping to other EU countries though this would generally not apply to Australia. Unless they can change the processes, GST will be collected in Australia so customers need to add this.
A process already exists for this. Apple is one example - they are set up for Australian GST.

Australian customers buy a laptop via their online store. The price includes GST and the product is shipped direct from Shanghai to the purchaser. No further government charges apply - it is just like buying locally.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:55 pm

True. It's interesting that wiggle doesn't do this though.