Buying a Canyon

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Buying a Canyon

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:18 pm

herzog wrote:A process already exists for this. Apple is one example - they are set up for Australian GST.
Apple also get to jack up their prices and add the "Australia Premium" (you know, the premium Australians pay for most goods).

Back on track, if Canyon could do this it, it would make sales far easier.
Cycling is in my BNA

battler2

Postby battler2 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:46 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
herzog wrote:A process already exists for this. Apple is one example - they are set up for Australian GST.
Apple also get to jack up their prices and add the "Australia Premium" (you know, the premium Australians pay for most goods).

Back on track, if Canyon could do this it, it would make sales far easier.
they did for a while, then reduced it significantly. it's usually (and currently) more to buy in the US with exchange rate (varies) and state sales taxes + no TRS there. there are probably other costs they are absorbing as well with the price hike, like shipping and costs of doing business abroad when all they really care about is the US market. apple stores also don't build themselves! so easy to just bring it in to a store regardless of where and how you bought it and get an exchange on the spot.

if canyon could have a local send to point for warranty, that'd be sweet

herzog

Postby herzog » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:09 pm

AUbicycles wrote: Apple also get to jack up their prices and add the "Australia Premium" (you know, the premium Australians pay for most goods).
Actually Apple is probably a good example of the opposite. Their Australian pricing is very competitive, in some cases better than US Domestic pricing once you factor in state taxes.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:54 am

AUbicycles wrote:
- Shipping times is an interesting one, while the UK online retailers have fine-tuned, shipping from Germany is generally very slow. I get regular mail and parcels from Germany, usually not express and they can take months to arrive. I assume that Canyon will opt for a logistics partner with a faster turn-around. Potentially evening managing customs clearance.
Here is a taste of what to expect from Canyon/DHL, you pay $200 for shipping, you get a notification that your order has shipped, 16 days later it has yet to leave Germany :roll:

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:03 pm

Crawf wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:
- Shipping times is an interesting one, while the UK online retailers have fine-tuned, shipping from Germany is generally very slow. I get regular mail and parcels from Germany, usually not express and they can take months to arrive. I assume that Canyon will opt for a logistics partner with a faster turn-around. Potentially evening managing customs clearance.
Here is a taste of what to expect from Canyon/DHL, you pay $200 for shipping, you get a notification that your order has shipped, 16 days later it has yet to leave Germany :roll:
Shipping won't be free?

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:23 pm

herzog wrote: Australian customers buy a laptop via their online store. The price includes GST and the product is shipped direct from Shanghai to the purchaser. No further government charges apply - it is just like buying locally.
That's because you're buying from Apple Australia pty Ltd, not Apple America/Shanghai who have an ABN set up and trade within Australia. They have a corporate HQ here as they employee staff.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:28 pm

herzog wrote:Actually Apple is probably a good example of the opposite.
I checked again, the computer prices were close but the iPhone price tripped me up as the US priced are 'pre-contract'. A Sim-Free phone then brings it up to prices close to Australian dollars.

Though with certainly I can say that mobile phone tariffs are significantly higher than in Europe and I assume likewise for the US.

German Post (Deutsche Post) and DHL are really problematic for overseas deliveries (and at times even local deliveries).
Cycling is in my BNA

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:38 pm

Bluejay87 wrote: Shipping won't be free?
Hell no, not even the EU get free delivery, go through the process on their website and see.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:51 pm

Hmmm to wait or not...

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:59 pm

Some really nice CX'ers for MY16

http://road.cc/content/news/161182-cany ... ated-range" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmm, do I need a new commuter?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:26 am

Getting serious now for Canyon bikes in Australia, they are now looking for staff "Sales and Customer Service Rep". A connection with bikes will be a massive plus while the rest of the criteria is the motivation and skill set as a sales rep. You can request a job profile from australia@canyon.com
Cycling is in my BNA

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:01 am

If they are only in hiring stage they must still a fair ways off a proper launch :-(

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:15 am

Not necessarily. They retail online, so have no store or dealers as such and the manager has also been on the job for a while. Like an online shop - they can do a fair bit from Germany, but improve the service and promotion when they are local.

2016 models have been launched and will be available so it is a matter of waiting for them and I am certain they won't miss the summer high season.
Cycling is in my BNA

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Job is based in Melbourne...damn
Bikes Bikes Bikes

panosk

Postby panosk » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:42 am

Do we have a clue about what the prices would be compared to eu prices ?
My guess is eu prices -19% vat + 10% gst, but i wonder if someone has been in contact with them and has valid info.
...each turn of the pedals, every single meter gained, hurts...

herzog

Postby herzog » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:40 pm

panosk wrote:Do we have a clue about what the prices would be compared to eu prices ?
My guess is eu prices -19% vat + 10% gst, but i wonder if someone has been in contact with them and has valid info.
You forgot the Australia Tax!

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:52 pm

That'll be 9% making it all even... plus some more no doubt.

panosk

Postby panosk » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Crawf wrote:That'll be 9% making it all even... plus some more no doubt.
Currently for an aeroad frameset, canyon charges the same price (2801 usd including delivery),
for delivery to Brazil or Indonesia, or Hong Kong.

So there will be real time comparison for the prices.
However, since they are setting up a business in australia, probably that 9% will go there the prices will be germany prices.

herzog

Postby herzog » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:26 pm

They charge the poms more than they charge mainland Europe.

Every Canyon article on road.cc is followed by comments like "Until canyon sort out their UK pricing they are off the shopping list"...

panosk

Postby panosk » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:00 pm

This is a hint for the prices, by Canyon's local manager (from cyclingtips comments):

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Jonny F • 7 days ago
Hi Darryl, I'm literally just about to drop $6k on my first aero bike (2015 Giant Propel SL 1). Potentially open to waiting so I can order an Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 instead, lovely bike! Looked at shipping the bike to my family in the uk and then out here, it works out approx $8k. Any chance you have a clearer picture of local pricing you'll be offering for that model?

Darryl Moliere Jonny F • 3 days ago
Hi Johnny,
We are still working on finalising the pricing. At this stage I feel pretty confident that the price will be somewhere close to the mid pint of the two options you mentioned.
Sorry I cant be more accurate...
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:29 pm

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but are we any closer to knowing a date for when site will start accepting orders from Oz?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:35 pm

No confirmation yet - Darryl will keep in touch.
Cycling is in my BNA

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:32 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:18 am

I just read through the comments of the cycling tips article and Darryl made this comment:
Darryl Moliere - 15 days ago wrote:Shop doors (website) should open late November / December.
A bit too far out for my buying timeline.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:31 pm

Crawf wrote::D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
And where is that ?

May be my turn next year .....