Buying a Canyon

slian

Re: Buying a Canyon

Postby slian » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:41 am

RRP seems to be at Giant level, though once you factored in the delivery charge and inevitable Giant discounting, it doesn't seem that compelling.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:18 am

More expensive than I thought. Glad I didn't wait now.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:57 am

slian wrote:RRP seems to be at Giant level, though once you factored in the delivery charge and inevitable Giant discounting, it doesn't seem that compelling.
Factor in the difference in the wheelsets you get with the Canyon's compared to the Giants and you'd be looking at similar money.

Sure you're probably paying a premium for the brand over getting a Giant, but it doesn't appear to be a rip-off price especially when you factor in our crappy dollar.

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:08 am

Ignoto wrote:
slian wrote:RRP seems to be at Giant level, though once you factored in the delivery charge and inevitable Giant discounting, it doesn't seem that compelling.
Factor in the difference in the wheelsets you get with the Canyon's compared to the Giants and you'd be looking at similar money.

Sure you're probably paying a premium for the brand over getting a Giant, but it doesn't appear to be a rip-off price especially when you factor in our crappy dollar.
It's a bit strange. If you want the fully built bike with Mavic Cosmic Ultimates and Ultegra then it's $4699 but for the frameset only it's $4499?

Am I missing something? Wouldn't you just buy the bike built, sell the wheels and Ultegra groupo and walla! Cheap frameset?

march83

Postby march83 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:24 am

Any word on the CX lines?

Prices are sort of as expected. not sure if i would have stretched to 4600 for mechanical 6800 on an aeroad frame, but that's about where i thought they would land.

Alloy Aeroad frameset would be nice for a crit bike, similar to the allez sprint...

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:23 pm

ItsDank wrote:
Ignoto wrote:

It's a bit strange. If you want the fully built bike with Mavic Cosmic Ultimates and Ultegra then it's $4699 but for the frameset only it's $4499?

Am I missing something? Wouldn't you just buy the bike built, sell the wheels and Ultegra groupo and walla! Cheap frameset?
But you don't get the H11 cockpit, and they will not sell it to you.

panosk

Postby panosk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:30 pm

Well, prices are as i expected (except aeroad frameset), but what i don't like at all is the availability of the bikes.
You pay TODAY and they ship in 3-4 MONTHS.
...each turn of the pedals, every single meter gained, hurts...

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Hate to be a stick in the mud but do a little overseas forum research and you'll get an idea of what you are potentially in for when ordering with Canyon, if you're thinking German precision and logistics you're in for a surprise.

In a nutshell they are woeful with communication, terrible at logistics & managing your order or thinking outside the box with your order, they are inflexible and time consuming with potentially adjusting your order and use a slow carrier service despite the extreme shipping costs.

As an example it's not uncommon for an entire order to be put on hold if say your requested 28t cassette or you Garmin mount is out of stock with them, they wont tell you this, unless of course you contact them and query why its been sitting there for weeks, then you'll opt for the in stock 25t cassette and boom your order may ship :roll:

My advice is to be very patient and ready for a long haul. It makes me chuckle when locals think the Australian market is going to be any different to anywhere else they service, there won't special treatment, it'll just be the same.

...I'm just conditioning potential customers to what 'MAY' lie ahead with your future transaction. :(

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:05 am

As of today, Canyon Bikes are officially available to Australians (although their Australian pricing and ordering started slightly earlier).

I spoke to Darryl Moliere (Australian Manager) and also have some useful information on availability and also sizing in this announcement article: Canyon Bicycles Officially Starts Sales to Australia

For service, I phoned on the customer number (8am - 6pm) and also tried their online chat and reached local staff.
Cycling is in my BNA

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:33 pm

I've ordered, so we'll see how accurate this one week thing is!

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:27 pm

I think the prices are about as expected for a complete bike, so I would be content ordering if I was in the market.
The $200 delivery + wait isn't be ideal, but if you're looking at a top-end Canyon chances are you're aware that's their strategy in EU and it's going to be no different here + extra delivery time.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:17 pm

I've read some good reviews of the Aeroad.

So... Just how long can you live off instant noodles before your health suffers?
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:33 pm

The location might surprise you....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:46 pm

the urban bikes look fantastic as well, except the prices.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:53 pm

eeksll wrote:the urban bikes look fantastic as well, except the prices.
The grand canyon alloy MTBs are a bargain...even with freight. The rest are merely very competitive...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:13 pm

nezumi wrote:I've read some good reviews of the Aeroad.

So... Just how long can you live off instant noodles before your health suffers?
Add egg and you'll be right :p

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:33 pm

I played with the Canyon web site for a bit and can't see where you choose options such as gearing and wheelsets. Are there any configuration options for Australian delivered bikes?

Also some of the delivery dates are a bit concerning (e.g. mid next year).

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:29 pm

brawlo wrote:I've ordered, so we'll see how accurate this one week thing is!
How'd it all go? I'm just about ready to click the mouse on a Grand Canyon AL SL.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:16 pm

Canyon frames are apparently manufactured by Giant.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:17 am

http://road.cc/content/news/174360-cany ... ate-orders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:06 pm

Sheesh I think I dodged a bullet getting my order in before the new SAP system.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:54 pm

Ouch... I havn't had any feedback from anyone ordering from Australia - however timing for Australians appears to be really bad if the company is in the middle of problems fulfilling orders.

For Australian customers, the Australian number is to Australian based staff so means there would be a local contact person on the phone. The online chat had a bug - not sure if it is resolved now though I eventually got through.
Cycling is in my BNA

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:54 pm

I'm being objective about the situation having very positive discussions with Darryl. My bike is scheduled for delivery next week, so we'll see if that's on the money. Given the whole factory situation and opening up to orders from Australia right before the Christmas period I'm not at all surprised there would be delays, but months is a bit much. Luckily my bike was in the 'express' list

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:24 pm

Crawf wrote:Sheesh I think I dodged a bullet getting my order in before the new SAP system.
This will work out well, planning to get a new bike next year and hopefully all issues are sorted by then.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:17 pm

Jury is still out based on my experience thus far :| . What should have been (based off the website info) a 2 week turnaround (max 3) is now looking like 6 weeks. This is for a bike that was and still is listed as in-stock.

So if you looking at Canyon and hoping to get it anytime soon I would think again.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)