Buying a Canyon

Ross

Re: Buying a Canyon

Postby Ross » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:01 am

Canyon CEO: ‘We failed to deliver the level of service that our company stands for’

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... for-213171" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:21 pm

The bit about that, that makes me chuckle, is that it took them so long to embark upon their new markets and yet, they still managed to muck it all up....
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

falconfly

Postby falconfly » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:44 pm

The issue was not just for the new markets but the traditional markets as well. The complaints began sometime in 2012. I believe thats when their demand shot up. The new factory and the order systems to handle the demand compounded the matter when it did not work out as plan. They also seem to operate on batches for certain sizes and models for efficiency. So if the batch level is not met, the delays begin. They are however acknowledged for being religious about QA so they are not going to rush things thru.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:44 pm

falconfly wrote:They are however acknowledged for being religious about QA so they are not going to rush things thru.
That's the problem there. Every workplace I've been involved with that has QA has been a complete clusterf%$#. Commonsense and logic just goes out the window. Can't see the forest for the trees. As long as the QA procedure is being followed everything is sweet, don't worry about those customers screaming for their product or that the product they received was wrong. Think Yes Minister.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:11 pm

It is good to see a response. I feel sorry for Canyon Australia starting this brand and quote 1 week delivery times, to then be immediately crippled. Buyers turn to the internet to check the credibility of a brand and for many riders in Australia, Canyon is still a very new brand.

For interest, this is the explanation of what when wrong. They may need to have a chat with their IT people.
Towards the end of 2015, in response to the rapidly growing demand for our products we took a major step for the future of Canyon. We opened up a brand new, state-of-the-art factory and implemented a new company-wide IT system. Our goal was to streamline our processes to provide all of our customers around the world a simpler and better experience when buying a Canyon bike.

Unfortunately, at the start, the total opposite occurred. As soon as we began implementing the new system unexpected problems arose. Instead of improving our processes, they were brought to a standstill. Customer and order information vanished and we subjected many of you to ridiculous delivery times. On top of that our customer service was ill-equipped to answer the huge number of enquiries quickly, nor could they access the information necessary to give you the answers you needed.

Hope this kick-starts Canyon as they really do have well designed bikes and I have appreciated the unique features (though I havn't ridden one yet).
Cycling is in my BNA

panosk

Postby panosk » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:00 am

AUbicycles wrote: I feel sorry for Canyon Australia....
Why do you feel sorry for a company ? Are you in their payroll ? Do you have close friends or family members working for them ?
Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

AUbicycles wrote: Hope this kick-starts Canyon as they really do have well designed bikes and I have appreciated the unique features (though I havn't ridden one yet).
How can you appreciate a bike or it's features, without riding it ?
It seems that you have a special capability/talent, otherwise, it doesn't make sense.
...each turn of the pedals, every single meter gained, hurts...

edsa

Postby edsa » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:43 am

panosk wrote:
AUbicycles wrote: I feel sorry for Canyon Australia....
Why do you feel sorry for a company ? Are you in their payroll ? Do you have close friends or family members working for them ?
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/empathy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
panosk wrote:
AUbicycles wrote: Hope this kick-starts Canyon as they really do have well designed bikes and I have appreciated the unique features (though I havn't ridden one yet).
How can you appreciate a bike or it's features, without riding it ?
It seems that you have a special capability/talent, otherwise, it doesn't make sense.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/appreciation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:03 pm

Thanks edsa. Not sure if I should entertain this however it may be genuine.
panosk wrote:Why do you feel sorry for a company ? Are you in their payroll ? Do you have close friends or family members working for them ?
I personally like Canyon. Cadel Evans road a Canyon and won a World Championships on it. I won't say it is attributed to the bike, but there is a positive association. In many of my visits to Eurobike I have dropped by the Canyon booth and spoken to the staff - particularly to encourage them to enter the Australian market. I have also tracked their success as a direct-to-customer style brand and through my connection with the industry and experience in consulting for brands - I understand the impact of such a disaster. As an example, SRAM had their hydraulic brake issue and recall and I also had the same feelings (SRAM handled it admirably).

Although I have no vested interest, it is how I feel.
panosk wrote:How can you appreciate a bike or it's features, without riding it ?
With respect, this is such an easy question. It is because I like what I see and it seems good. I like Cinelli and would love to have one of their track bikes - their brand history and their presence is attractive and appealing to me. There are brands I don't like even though I have never ridden them, it is my opinion.

For Canyon, having looked at the bikes closely and spoken to the designers, they have some nice features such as the way they have front dropouts on the road bikes which can be changed to move the wheel 5mm forward or back. I don't know if they are still doing it, but it is one of those features which makes sense and also demonstrates innovation.

My opinion is also based on some experience - I have ridden different types of bikes and over time you start to make reliable assumptions about the handling of a bike on looks along - for example a bike with a sloping top tube or a bike with a steep head angle.
Cycling is in my BNA

Tom11

Postby Tom11 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:24 pm

Interesting thread to read.

After closely following the Canyon introduction into Australia (with intentions to possibly purchase one of their MTBS later this year), I thought we might be seeing a lot of them around the roads and trails. But currently this is not the case, but after reading this thread its obvious why.
Might hold off till they get their !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! together, don't like the idea of forking out that much only to have no idea when my bike is going to turn up.

P.s. First post in this forum, looking forward to trying to be a valid member of the site.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:07 am

I haven't seen it in the flesh, but I guy I ride with got his new Aus delivered Ultimate yesterday. Apparently it was the first delivery of one by the new distributor. Maybe this is a sign that deliveries are finally underway.

jetglo

Postby jetglo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:39 am

I've placed an order with Canyon for the Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 in Stealth Red.

Shipment date is 11/4 - 15/4 with a delivery time between 2 and 10 days.

I will keep you posted on the progress.

https://static.canyon.com/img/cache/b9/ ... 2c9c48.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:57 am

Anyone know why some of their bikes are not available as a frame (the alloy road/CX - Inflite AL) ?

Would love to see the Ultimate Disc pricing when it is released

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:33 am

I will hazard a guess and say that due to their business model of building bikes in batches, they may wait until all orders are done and in and a batch is built and then offer any leftover frames for sale as frame only so they don't leave themselves short for full bike builds? Just guessing...

creamyy

Postby creamyy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:16 pm

Placed an order for endurace cf di2. Estimated dispatch is between 27 June and mid July. Suits me well as I'm going away for holiday for 6 weeks.

Had a chat online and the lady confirmed that I wouldn't have to pay return shipping if I decided to return it.

Had a look at the geometry of the bike and it looks like it falls halfway between a race bike and a sportive bike.

jetglo

Postby jetglo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:12 am

Update re Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 in Stealth Red.

The $ have been taken from my account and I'm now just waiting on a tracking number.

Looks like it will be next week.

jetglo

Postby jetglo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:50 am

The bike will be on time as quoted on their site at the time of ordering - Wednesday the 10th April.

Photos to follow!

jetglo

Postby jetglo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:29 am

Got it!
Delivered as quoted on their site all good.

As it stands 6.5kg with pedals.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:41 am

Keen on the Aeroad but struggling with the sizing. I am on a Tarmac 58cm but have long legs/short torso (total height sans shoes is 187cm). I have the stem slammed on the Tarmac for a Saddle-to-Bar drop of ~12cm, saddle height (centre of BB to top of saddle) is 82cm.

Anyone else of similar stature going through, or have just been through the process of buying the Aeroad?

**Edit: Nice Ultimate BTW

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:46 pm

If you're trying to match up a new bike to an old one, just look at the stack and reach numbers and try to match them as closely as possible. Looking at the current Tarmac geo, a 58 will match a large aeroad for reach, but be 21mm shorter in the front, so allow for a lower bar position. If your stem is slammed on the tarmac, then that should make the aeroad fine. The only real problem arises when your current position needs changing, and so you need to know what way you should go for the new frame.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:47 pm

brawlo wrote: 21mm shorter in the front
WARNING: that is A LOT

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:12 pm

brawlo wrote:If you're trying to match up a new bike to an old one, just look at the stack and reach numbers and try to match them as closely as possible. Looking at the current Tarmac geo, a 58 will match a large aeroad for reach, but be 21mm shorter in the front, so allow for a lower bar position. If your stem is slammed on the tarmac, then that should make the aeroad fine. The only real problem arises when your current position needs changing, and so you need to know what way you should go for the new frame.
I wish there was a reasonable bit fitter where I am that could put me on an adjustable bike, take some measurements and say, these are the bikes you need to consider when purchasing a bike. I should have kept my 56cm Roubaix.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:56 pm

doggatas wrote:I wish there was a reasonable bit fitter where I am that could put me on an adjustable bike, take some measurements and say, these are the bikes you need to consider when purchasing a bike.
Seriously worth taking a trip to visit a good bike fitter, even travelling interstate. The value you will get from getting properly setup will make it worth the trip.
Cycling is in my BNA

chill

Postby chill » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:11 pm

jasonc wrote:
brawlo wrote: 21mm shorter in the front
WARNING: that is A LOT
They don't come with a lot of steerer either.
doggatas wrote:I should have kept my 56cm Roubaix.
Same. I'm about your height and 56cm Roubaix was great for me. 58cm Tarmac never felt right.

creamyy

Postby creamyy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:00 pm

Is it possible to purchase the integrated stem and handlebar for the ultimate separately?

pagey

Postby pagey » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:02 pm

creamyy wrote:Is it possible to purchase the integrated stem and handlebar for the ultimate separately?
I asked them and they said you would need to make a special request to the factory. My SLX 8.0 Di2 should be here in a couple of weeks
cheers
Pagey