Buying a Canyon

aive

Re: Buying a Canyon

Postby aive » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:21 pm

For those of you with canyons, how do you find the flex particularly in the crank and bottom bracket?

My current Merida frame flexes when I put the power down in the highest gear which is noticable by the chain rubbing on the front derailleur. Am looking to upgrade to a Canyon one day and am hoping it doesn't suffer from the same issue.

creamyy

Postby creamyy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:43 pm

aive wrote:For those of you with canyons, how do you find the flex particularly in the crank and bottom bracket?

My current Merida frame flexes when I put the power down in the highest gear which is noticable by the chain rubbing on the front derailleur. Am looking to upgrade to a Canyon one day and am hoping it doesn't suffer from the same issue.
I can relate since I was using a Merida Scultura 5000 for about 6 months. The Canyon Ultimate CF SLX doesn't have the frame flex around the crank and bottom bracket. It's much easier to transfer power, especially out of the saddle. It's also slightly snappier at the front. Comfort at the rear seems the same, and the wheels seem to stay glued to the road on bumpier terrain.

aive

Postby aive » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:44 pm

Fantastic response thanks :) Now to save my pennies.

pagey

Postby pagey » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:34 pm

Here is my Ultimate SLX

cheers
Pagey

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:37 pm

Nice colour !!

creamyy

Postby creamyy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:09 pm

New canyon endurace with discs.

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/road/endurace/

Bummer, would've waited for this instead of the ultimate if I knew it was coming.

aive

Postby aive » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:56 pm

Unless you're craving disc brakes, I reckon the Ultimate is still the way to go :) Be happy, wish I could grab an ultimate right now :P

DM120

Postby DM120 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:44 pm

i want endurace Al 7.
any first hand experiences?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:30 pm

For interest, Canyon bikes are now used as neutral bikes in the Tour de France on the yellow support car. The bikes generally never get ridden so it is said that they are simply permanently bolted to the roof :)
Cycling is in my BNA

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Definitely not bolted to the roof :D

All size XS but :lol:

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:36 pm

AUbicycles wrote:For interest, Canyon bikes are now used as neutral bikes in the Tour de France on the yellow support car. The bikes generally never get ridden so it is said that they are simply permanently bolted to the roof :)
Wonder if they'll ask Froome to write a review? :D

TF3

Postby TF3 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:21 am

A lot of dramas buying a Canyon for me. First, they asked me for payment saying that the bike is ready for delivery and then there was a delay in delivery from the date on the Order confirmation without informing me until I asked them. They cannot give me a reason why is there a delay and also why no communication at all for the delay. I have also email them and until today which is more than a month, no reply from them at all!

Then they change the Crank length on their website without informing me again until I discovered and asked. The didn't admit that they changed the information table. I have previously downloaded the table that shows the crank length and email it to them. However, they still cannot commit to honouring what they had online before.

I am not sure if Canyon is committed to customer service at all and just want to sell bike and then not take of after sale service. From my experience, it seems like the case.

slian

Postby slian » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:54 am

TF3 wrote:A lot of dramas buying a Canyon for me. First, they asked me for payment saying that the bike is ready for delivery and then there was a delay in delivery from the date on the Order confirmation without informing me until I asked them. They cannot give me a reason why is there a delay and also why no communication at all for the delay. I have also email them and until today which is more than a month, no reply from them at all!

Then they change the Crank length on their website without informing me again until I discovered and asked. The didn't admit that they changed the information table. I have previously downloaded the table that shows the crank length and email it to them. However, they still cannot commit to honouring what they had online before.

I am not sure if Canyon is committed to customer service at all and just want to sell bike and then not take of after sale service. From my experience, it seems like the case.
Good to know. I've been watching this space keenly but all these hassles with customizing crank, stem, handlebar etc. do seem to indicate Canyon process is not flexible enough to accommodate this.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:50 pm

TF3, as an Australian buyer, I understand that you are still covered by the EU / German law which give the consumers a lot of power. If you ordered a Canyon with a certain spec and pay, then this spec should be supplied. I suggest contacting the Australian support and being very assertive.

Great bikes - but it looks like Canyon are not yet on-top of their new systems.
Cycling is in my BNA

TF3

Postby TF3 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:07 pm

AUbicycles wrote:TF3, as an Australian buyer, I understand that you are still covered by the EU / German law which give the consumers a lot of power. If you ordered a Canyon with a certain spec and pay, then this spec should be supplied. I suggest contacting the Australian support and being very assertive.

Great bikes - but it looks like Canyon are not yet on-top of their new systems.
I called and spoke to Canyon Australia, they told me that they reserve the right to change any spec without notice. For me, this is not right, if I have known the crank length is not what I wanted, I would not have ordered it.

I have fully paid for the bike so I am not sure if I should cancel the bike or I have to spend $500 more to replace the cranksets.

I don't think Canyon Australia staffs are well trained in customer service. The feeling I get is that take it or leave it. Not the customer service that I am expecting for paying thousands of dollar upfront!

No impress at all. :evil: :!: :!:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:13 pm

That can't be right. Their contract does not cover changing spec. Canyon Terms and Conditions

You need to decide whether to challenge it or give up. Canyon are good bikes and a lot of riders are happy with the value but you also want to be happy with your purchase. Crank length is not negotiable.

Under German consumer law - you can cancel the order and will have no costs to pay if it hasn't been shipped. If it has been shipped, you can return but may have to cover the return shipping cost (the policy differs from company to company)

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

TF3

Postby TF3 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:26 am

Christopher, thank you for this.

I would still like to have the bike and I agreed that crank length cannot be compromised.

The difficulty that I am facing is that Canyon Australia just does not reply to my queries. Neither does Canyon Germany. It makes it hard for me to challenge. Like I said before, it seems like they are only set up to sell bikes with minimum customer service.

liamb

Postby liamb » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:19 am

I was really surprised when I recently got to the point of placing an order I was told over the phone there were no options for crank length, bar width, stem length, compact or standard cranks. The bike/ bikes I was looking at were not on sale or special editions. I really like the bikes but when you have to replace so many parts to make it fit it makes it impossible to justify buying the bike. I am struggling to work out how they came up with a business plan like that for a product that needs customization to fit induviduals.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:01 pm

liamb wrote:I was really surprised when I recently got to the point of placing an order I was told over the phone there were no options for crank length, bar width, stem length, compact or standard cranks. The bike/ bikes I was looking at were not on sale or special editions. I really like the bikes but when you have to replace so many parts to make it fit it makes it impossible to justify buying the bike. I am struggling to work out how they came up with a business plan like that for a product that needs customization to fit induviduals.

Bill
The main reason is that Canyon is not a made to order company, they state this clearly. The bikes are made in batches, hence why you can see the delivery schedules. Canyon Australia swap out your stem when you receive the bike, you simply need to send the old one back to Melbourne and they send you the correct length out. As a consumer you get two benefits, one is the pricing, the other is the quality of the product.

In between that you'd probably expect or want service but if that's your key goal of the transaction then go to your LBS.

slian

Postby slian » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:38 pm

ItsDank wrote:
liamb wrote:I was really surprised when I recently got to the point of placing an order I was told over the phone there were no options for crank length, bar width, stem length, compact or standard cranks. The bike/ bikes I was looking at were not on sale or special editions. I really like the bikes but when you have to replace so many parts to make it fit it makes it impossible to justify buying the bike. I am struggling to work out how they came up with a business plan like that for a product that needs customization to fit induviduals.

Bill
The main reason is that Canyon is not a made to order company, they state this clearly. The bikes are made in batches, hence why you can see the delivery schedules. Canyon Australia swap out your stem when you receive the bike, you simply need to send the old one back to Melbourne and they send you the correct length out. As a consumer you get two benefits, one is the pricing, the other is the quality of the product.

In between that you'd probably expect or want service but if that's your key goal of the transaction then go to your LBS.
Hmm interesting. Is this something that is not part of the order process and need to be arranged separately with Canyon AU? And does it apply to integrated handlebar/stem combo?

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:11 am

No bike comes customised form the manufacturer. The role of the LBS is to customise the cookie cutter bike to each individual. Most?? LBS will change over parts for you (free of charge or a small fee) in order to fit you to the bike with the view that they can then reuse those parts for the same purpose with other customers. There are quite a few (hopefully a minority) retailers that will require you to take your delivered bike and outright purchase any new parts you require for specific fit needs. You get to take all the bits home and store or get rid of what you don't need. What Canyon does is not very different from a lot of bike retailers, it's just the LBS that you miss out on, but that's the sacrifice you make for buying the bike at a cheaper price online.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:02 pm

Canyon Australia have a chat function and telephone number. Don't settle for email communication - use the chat or call - be polite, persistent and open to solutions.
Cycling is in my BNA

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:12 pm

slian wrote:
ItsDank wrote:

Bill

Hmm interesting. Is this something that is not part of the order process and need to be arranged separately with Canyon AU? And does it apply to integrated handlebar/stem combo?
I asked this yesterday at the ATEC expo with the Canyon representatives there. The explanation was that the factory only had set combinations of stem length and bar widths. So if you wanted a long "stem" length, but narrow bars (eg 38cm), then it wasn't possible.

The bikes are very nice, yes, but rival machines from elsewhere are equally nice.

NGtim

Postby NGtim » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:25 am

TF3 wrote:A lot of dramas buying a Canyon for me. First, they asked me for payment saying that the bike is ready for delivery and then there was a delay in delivery from the date on the Order confirmation without informing me until I asked them. They cannot give me a reason why is there a delay and also why no communication at all for the delay. I have also email them and until today which is more than a month, no reply from them at all!

Shame about the whole experience so far. I have purchased a Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 6.0 as it came on sale with a whopping $1000 AUD off the OG price! I'm pretty happy with the exact specs except for stem length which Canyon have agreed to swap out when I receive the bike. Also attempted to purchase the one piece aero cockpit but Canyon kept insisting it would cost up to $900AUD for the whole ordeal. :lol:

Scheduled for delivery 1/8 -5/8. Can't see any issues as I bought the bike as it was 'In Stock'. However will provide an update in due time :) .

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:15 pm

FWIW, I ordered just before they started selling to Australia.
I requested what length and width I wanted for the H11 bar and got it.
However I purchased a frameset not full bike.