Buying a Canyon

Crawf

Re: Buying a Canyon

Postby Crawf » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:44 am

I have a Canyon Garmin Aero mount for sale (used) to suit H11/H36 handlebars.
Get in contact if you want to save on zeee crazy German shipping prices.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:58 pm

I keep wandering back to the Canyon website and drooling over the Endurace CF 9.0, the rim brake model hits my personal sweet spot for parts, weight and price (apart from lack of funds currently!).

Anyone got an Endurace and can share their thoughts on the bike?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bigpab

Postby bigpab » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi there
Ive followed this post for a while...with interest as im interested for a while in canyon and more specific the aeroad...
Im hoping some of you might be able to help me
Im 184cm
saddle height is 760
i ride a caad10 size 56 with a slammed 3t 120 stem -8
and
scott foil size 56 with slammed stem zipp 130 -12
i like getting low
i also like and been looking at BMC slr01....so it'll come down between those two...
id like to know if theres someone here with an aeroad and similar dimensions...
reason i ask is because i think the size id get is M i had a chat to canyon online and they concur
but the stem is a concern....bit short....
and also the head tube is very short...so might end up with too big a drop...
can anyone help?
cheers

aive

Postby aive » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:39 pm

I'm similar in height and inseam and ride same size bikes (56). I sized myself up for a Canyon and think I'm a M as well. Also interested in hearing from other Aeroad users :)

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:04 am

Actual buyer reviews are hard to come by for the lower spec CF 7.0 Endurace on the web. Anyone got one and like to comment?

And experience on current delivery times for express bikes would be good as well. Hopefully they are through the horrors of last year.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:36 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:Actual buyer reviews are hard to come by for the lower spec CF 7.0 Endurace on the web. Anyone got one and like to comment?

And experience on current delivery times for express bikes would be good as well. Hopefully they are through the horrors of last year.
I've found the same, reviews can be found for the top end stuff easier than the entry level stuff.

Apparently using their web chat feature will give you an accurate idea of stock levels and shipping times before you order.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:Actual buyer reviews are hard to come by for the lower spec CF 7.0 Endurace on the web. Anyone got one and like to comment?

I know of a guy who bought a CF7.0 Endurace this year. He really likes it, but I can't be more specific. I don't know exactly how long it took to arrive, but he had no problems - certainly nothing like the horror stories.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:07 am

I am interested in the opinions of others... whether Canyon is still substantially better value than other brands (which at least initially was the main drawcard) or whether it is now on par with the competitors in terms of pricing.
Cycling is in my BNA

Bazza

Postby Bazza » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:06 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I am interested in the opinions of others... whether Canyon is still substantially better value than other brands (which at least initially was the main drawcard) or whether it is now on par with the competitors in terms of pricing.
I've been looking at these also. Seems like a great value bike. You can give them a call in Keysborough for any information, they've been pretty helpful with my sizing enquiries.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:30 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I am interested in the opinions of others... whether Canyon is still substantially better value than other brands (which at least initially was the main drawcard) or whether it is now on par with the competitors in terms of pricing.
It all depends on what you're looking at and what measure you use to compare them.

Are you comparing RRP? Or realistic sale price? Given you can get ~30% off other brands when they are on sale...
Do you compare groupset spec or bike weight?

Let me give you an example.

I have been looking at "moderately priced" road disc bikes - so that's going to be 105 groupset and the chunky 505 shifters.
The canyon is Endurace AL Disc 6.0 web price is $1999, PLUS $199 shipping. (Thankfully GST is included in this price already) so $2198
The weight of the bike is 8.8kgs for size M.

So then I look at Bikeexchange to see what kind of deal I can get (is that fair enough?).

So what kind of Giant can I get?
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /102867087

2016 Giant Defy 1 Disc - Alu frame check, 105 groupset check, discs (mech, not hydro) - it's $1483
So if I was local to that bike shop, it's a $715 difference.

If you want hydro, or a 2017 bike, then the Giant Contend SL 1 Disc is the match at $1595
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /102899193

That's still $603 difference - okay, the canyon has full hydro vs cable actuated hydro.

So no, I don't see how it's worth paying extra $$$ in order to wait months, and then assemble it yourself.
How's the warranty? I suppose they can knock you back if you don't have a receipt to show you paid a shop to put the seatpost in and stick the handlebar on...

Okay, so people buying a Canyon are probably going to do it themselves, but there is no free bike check/cable adjustment service.
How do you know they checked the spoke tension before shipping it out to you?

If the price was the same as the Giant, sure I'd buy one just to try them. As it is, I can wait a few months (however long it is for the Canyon to get built and show up) and those prices on Bikeexchange are only likely to go south.

So no, not substantially better value, in fact, not better value at all in my books.

Now, if we are talking about comparing to other brands, you might get better or worse cases.
Eg. Polgyon/Bicyclesonline, Cannondale, Colnago, Pinarello, Trek, Cell bikes, Merida, Focus, Cube...

YMMV.

I've resisted typing more and tried to shorten this post as I think it's a bit long already.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:36 am

Zippy7 wrote: It all depends on what you're looking at and what measure you use to compare them.

I've resisted typing more and tried to shorten this post as I think it's a bit long already.
The wheels and tyres on the Canyon bikes seem very good on the Endurace models I've been looking at. DT Swiss wheels and Conti GP4000s get very good reviews and are much lighter than my current setup. I don't want to buy an expensive bike then fork out more for better wheels. Whatever I buy next will have to remain "as is" unless I want to be divorced :D

I turn 40 in 2 years, I may treat myself to a nice bike then, maybe $4000 absolute maximum. Canyon seem to offer really good spec for the money, and it's got that appeal of "something different/special" but I've got a couple of years to be persuaded otherwise.

Example - what endurance bike, for the money, is better than the Endurace CF 9.0 (rim brake model, the disc model has lower spec wheels)?

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/road/endur ... f-9-0.html

$3400 delivered
Ful carbon frame and fork
Full mechanical Ultegra
Compact 50-34 and 11-32 cassette (I really am p!ssweak and need easy gears for climbs)
DT Swiss RR21 DiCut wheels ($1000 on Wiggle, 1415gr pair)
Conti GP4000s II tyres
7.0kg for M frame

I find it hard to compare apples with apples when other brands use their in-house wheelsets and reviews and weights can be hard to find.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:20 am

I agree that the Canyon bikes come spec'ed with decent wheels unlike most of their competitors. When you factor in the wheels and the fact that Canyon are one of the few companies that perform CT scans on every carbon frame & fork that leaves the factory, then the values becomes clearer. If you just look at groupset, frame and price, then you can usually find a cheaper deal with Giant or other brands when heavily discounted.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:28 am

In my quest to buy a new bike I have looked at Canyon Endrace models.
The value is hard to work out. I can get a 2106 Cannondale Synapse with Ultegra around $100 cheaper than an Endurace 7.0 SL with Ultegra as well. Same wheels are fitted to both. So the value is marginal if you look around.

I am keen to see owners reports to see what they are like, but there is nothing out there. It appears no regular posters here have one.

If Canyon would like to donate me one I will review it online :D :lol:

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:40 am

Only issue I find with Canyon is as there is no physical store so the only time you can get a discount is to wait on stock run outs. Whereas you can always go to a store to haggle, and let’s be honest who is really going to pay RRP for a bike. Add your $200 for postage and the “bang for your buck” argument is rather moot is a lot of cases. Especially on your common rides like Giant’s and Cannondale’s where bargains are a plenty with a little Google.

The speed hump for me would be trying to organise a send back if the need arose seems daunting considering the size and coin just dropped. This is where despite my other comments LBS’s still hold the trump card. Even if you know what you’re buying before you walk in, you can always get a discount and if something balls up its always a quick trip back to have looked at.

From what I can see though, one thing I think Canyon do well is the groupsets. (for the most part) They say Ultegra, everything is Ultegra. If its 105, its full 105. Whereas the other manufactures like to say Ultegra but what your really getting is Ultegra shifters and derailleurs but your crankset is Shimano generic and your cassette is 105.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:38 pm

Thanks for the input, I am scoping out the current opinions as brands and retailers shift and Canyon appears to have done a good job of transitioning from a value brand (quality and price).

For the Australian market, interesting also to see how the $200 delivery cost and delays are OK when the online trend tends towards fast and free delivery.
Cycling is in my BNA

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:46 pm

If their prices stayed as is without adding the $200 for delivery I think it would sway me. As it is I can buy similar spec from the LBS, so I need more convincing to buy a Canyon, as good as they look.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:12 am

Good timing - just got an email from Canyon - bikes on sale!

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/specials/f ... 914c61fbb1

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Mmm

Tempted now :)

battler2

Postby battler2 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:00 pm

same, i am looking to get a first MTB. 29er preferably. i don't see anything in the giant range that seems well specced, but they are much cheaper. although the xtc advanced now supports 29 and 27.5 wheels, but is much more expensive. maybe for a 2nd bike.

AL SL 6.9 dropped off from the site completely, it was never available for immediate shipping in my size, i waited and waited.

AL SL 7.9 is/was $100 more, and is the cheapest entry now, and is on sale as well.

the composite offerings don't seem to be much lighter, so for a first MTB im happy to go alu.

as always TRS is such a good idea if travelling somewhere, and it is possible on MTB's, but somehow you need to access the TRS counter before checking in, and i've never seen that at an airport anywhere (it's always gate side).

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:33 pm

Can you spec a Canyon with any different components eg a compact crank instead of 52-36, or a different cassette?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:11 pm

Based on info from others here (not my iwn experience) it us easier to get standard options - getting your own gear can dramatically increase the price and and be a slightly frustating process.
Cycling is in my BNA

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Fri May 05, 2017 3:20 pm

Not seeing a listing for Canyon in the Cycling Brands section of the BNA site. Must be a few nice bikes for members to show off :mrgreen:

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:31 pm

So another email arrived flagging some other models on sale...
Again, a couple of hundred off, effectively giving free delivery.
Almost tempted to go for an Ultimate CF SL disc - but worried it is going to be a massive disappointment vs expectations...
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sun May 07, 2017 9:35 pm

Zippy7 wrote:So another email arrived flagging some other models on sale...
Yep. Got that email 2 days after I placed my order. Was glad to see that the Ultimate CF 8.0 Di2 which I ordered was not on the list :mrgreen:

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon May 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Paul B wrote:
Zippy7 wrote:So another email arrived flagging some other models on sale...
....the Ultimate CF 8.0 Di2 which I ordered.....
Niiiiiice.

Did you go the blue or the black?