Buying a Canyon

HAKS

Re: Buying a Canyon

Postby HAKS » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:31 pm

GST covered at time of purchase. So just like buying from an Aus based store, no nasty surprises upon delivery.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:42 pm

What's the bike anyway, an XC race bike?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks for sharing this - so it appears that shipping is going very fast and the delay is dispatching from Germany.

Have fun with your new ride!
Cycling is in my BNA

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:05 pm

herzog wrote:What's the bike anyway, an XC race bike?
Aluminum 29er. One of few I could find with decent specs & rack mounts. Will be more of a family rides type of bike but also the odd bit of singletrack.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:40 pm

So it appears my bike may be here...... Got a delivery slip in the mail today. Problem is I live out of town so I won't actually have the slip until tonight, and then I have to pick it up tomorrow and I'm going to be racing tomorrow night..... So I may not actually put the damn thing together until Thursday at the earliest...... and then it's going for a full stripdown to replace the 105 gear with the Ultegra/DA mix I have waiting....

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:06 am

Bike has arrived! :D BUT there's a nice sized hole in the side of the box which on quick inspection hasn't caused any damage to the bike. I'll be giving it a full once over this evening when I take it out of the box. I know the PO worker that served me and she said the box came from the courier company with the hole, so if there's a drama the she had no problems filling out a report. God I hope there's no damage. This wait has been long enough!

So I'm guessing Canyon were possibly delaying shipment until they had a certain sized consignment to send to Australia? Once shipped, delivery was quick.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:22 pm

Great to hear your bike arrived.

First spin on mine this morning, the 10month old gave the tick of approval :).
brawlo wrote:So I'm guessing Canyon were possibly delaying shipment until they had a certain sized consignment to send to Australia? Once shipped, delivery was quick.
Hmmm doubt it. They come direct from factory so doubt they would wait to have n number before shipping. I think they just got their *#~^ together and sorted out the back-orders or Canyon AU gave them a push along if they were dealing with multiple disgruntled customers.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:14 am

Well, it turned out the hole in the side of the box resulted in a broken seatstay! I emailed pics to Canyon Aust and they were sending on to Canyon yesterday. Last night I got another delivery email from Canyon, so I hope that means a new bike is being shipped out ASAP.

* Canyon are coming to the party with a whole new bike! Pretty happy, I just hope the timeline is a bit shorter than last time!

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:55 pm

That bites! Couldn't imagine anything worse then waiting close to 2months only for it to be damaged. They better ship it out damn fast.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:45 pm

brawlo wrote:Well, it turned out the hole in the side of the box resulted in a broken seatstay!
I am sure that Canyon have insurance for that - a shame when all the work and effort to create a bike is ruined in transit - this week I got a delivery from a courier company who are not regulars, I saw the fellow open the van to look for my delivery and he was picking up boxes and throwing them back in. My was ok... but I was not impressed.

On the packaging, I understand that Canyon had designed a super box which meant that the shipping price is a bit higher, but the bikes are better packaged than regular bike boxes (which traditionally are delivered in bulk to bike shops rather then individual / separate deliveries). Does this mean that the canyon bike boxes need more refinement for the harsh Australian (delivery) conditions?
Cycling is in my BNA

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:18 pm

AUbicycles wrote:

On the packaging, I understand that Canyon had designed a super box which meant that the shipping price is a bit higher, but the bikes are better packaged than regular bike boxes (which traditionally are delivered in bulk to bike shops rather then individual / separate deliveries). Does this mean that the canyon bike boxes need more refinement for the harsh Australian (delivery) conditions?
While I haven't seen/unpacked a bike from a normal delivery box for a fair while, the one my Canyon came in was nothing super special in my eyes. Sure it was secured well, had cardboard reinforcements in a few vulnerable places, but there was still plenty of areas where something could easily crush it/poke a hole and damage the frame/parts.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:26 am

Yeah, I wouldn't regard the Canyon box as anything 'super'. Just another bike box I think. I'm travelling to the GC at the start of March and I was going to take it in the box, but I might be trying to borrow a hard bike box/bag now!

The replacement left Canyon on Friday, and was scanned for export last night. It's scheduled for delivery by Friday this week.

panosk

Postby panosk » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:00 am

I have some good news for the aeroad fans.

Canyon seems that finally woke up after a many months hangover that had them sell the aeroad frameset 4.5k and the the ultegra/carbon wheels model at 4.7k and re-adjusted the frame price at 3.9k.
Basically now it is the ultimate frameset price + dura ace brakes.

Unfortunately you have to wait 4 more months to get it, but by then it will be tour time again,
with tons of specials from other brands at the same more or less price.

p.s.: It seems that i have missed the latest developments in bicycle terminology.
Since when electRONIC groupsets became eleCTRIC ?
Are they 220V ? Do they have a fuse ? Do they meet au standards ? Do they have the relevant sticker ? Will i die if i accidentally touch them ?
...each turn of the pedals, every single meter gained, hurts...

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:00 pm

FWIW my small package (garmin aero mount) took 6 days with UPS.

Jimbojones

Postby Jimbojones » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:37 am

Hi Guys,

I am about to bite the bullet and buy an Ultimate CF SLX 8.0.
HAKS/Brawlo, can you confirm you only need to pay the purchase price + packaging & shipping? ie The duty and GST is covered in the price?

I have approval from my wife for a nice b'day present and the budget is $5k

thanks - Jim

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:03 am

Did anyone else get the email last night about the Factory Outlet sale but then discover it doesn't seem to be active if you select you live in Australia?
Bikes Bikes Bikes

Jimbojones

Postby Jimbojones » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:12 am

Jimbojones wrote:Hi Guys,

I am about to bite the bullet and buy an Ultimate CF SLX 8.0.
HAKS/Brawlo, can you confirm you only need to pay the purchase price + packaging & shipping? ie The duty and GST is covered in the price?

thanks - Jim
Just had a chat to Canyon Australia on 'live chat':
"GST is included in our prices and we handle all of the Customs side of things in so that the bike goes straight to your door"

Happy days :)

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:59 pm

sir_camel wrote:Did anyone else get the email last night about the Factory Outlet sale but then discover it doesn't seem to be active if you select you live in Australia?
Yes. Canyon marketing fail... :?
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:52 pm

Jimbojones wrote: I am about to bite the bullet and buy an Ultimate CF SLX 8.0.

Lucky Man :lol:

Keep us posted on your experience throughout :). When you do order make sure you get the 2nd email which has the estimated dispatch date. If you don't get it chase the AU office up for it.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:29 pm

That Aeroad geometry...I'd normally be on a 57-58cm frame (seat tube), but the equivalent Aeroad top tube length is huge. It doesn't look like you buy an Aeroad for riding in comfort....

Jimbojones

Postby Jimbojones » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:19 pm

HAKS wrote:
Jimbojones wrote: I am about to bite the bullet and buy an Ultimate CF SLX 8.0.

Lucky Man :lol:

Keep us posted on your experience throughout :). When you do order make sure you get the 2nd email which has the estimated dispatch date. If you don't get it chase the AU office up for it.

Will do HAKS. I am hoping it'll be a good experience from start to finish [emoji3]

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:10 am

Well, new unbroken bike came yesterday afternoon. It's off with the mech getting the 105/Ultegra changeover done. Being in the throes of prep for masters states I won't be able to get on it until at least Sunday if the weather is good! I'll post a pic or 2 once I get it back

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:11 am

Well there it is, finally, in all it's massive XXXL glory!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:57 am

far out brawlo - looks like a step ladder job

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:39 am

Haha, #tallpeopleproblems

I haven't put the seat to where it should be yet (likely a fair bit lower than where it is now), and no doubt the bars will likely come down a tad after a fit session too. I don't even know if I'll bother riding until I have it fitted on the 5th March seeing as it's so close now.