New Assos Bib Shorts

J Quinton

New Assos Bib Shorts

Postby J Quinton » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:28 pm

Gday,

Anyone had the chance to try the new Assos S7 bib shorts?

Are they better than the S5 models?

I have a 1200km, 4 day ride coming up. Torpedo 7 have the S5 Mille for $190. Or Ribble have the Cento with a tub of cream for $310. Worth the difference?

I have the mille and think they're great BTW.

Ta
Last edited by J Quinton on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadrat

Re: New Assos Bib Shorts

Postby deadrat » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Yes...get the S7 equipe. Have had S5 and the even better FI 13. S7 equipe are better again ($230 Ribble). Don't think you would need to spend more on the Cento's but am sure they would be great as well.

MDL

Postby MDL » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:19 pm

Yep rate them better than my S5!!!!

awp

Postby awp » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:35 pm

I have t-cento, the updated mille. Not sold on them being better as yet.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Good to know. I ended up buying some autumn/spring tights on special, and will wait for the current model to go on special.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:54 pm

holy thread revival Batman!!

Not able to find Castelli Kiss3 pad in new Castelli bibshorts, so looking at Assos bibshorts.

Main concern is the pad, need something that has a thicker/more dense foam pad. Latest Castelli pads (Kiss Air, or Proteggi X) are foam filled with larger air cells making them great for an hour then for me become uncomfortable.

Considering Assos T.equipe_s7 Bib Shorts, $230 at Wiggle.

Thoughts??
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:58 pm

Yet to try them, my old ones are still going.

But ribble have same price as wiggle and mid10 code at present. Worth a shot.

hooman

Postby hooman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:13 am

My 2 pairs of Assos Mille bib shorts are 3 years old. I ride 3 times a week on average. Sadly, they both look AS NEW so I cannot even consider buying new ones.
Some say Assos is expensive but they are really value for money.

As to S7, you must purchase one that fits well and feels good. I tried Rapha bibs and frankly they just don't feel anywhere as comfy so sticking to Assos for now.
'09 Giant TCR C2 Shimano 105
'10 Cervelo RS Shimano Ultegra
'11 Time NXR Instinct SRAM RED Black
'12 Pinarello Dogma 2 Shimano DuraAce DI2

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:54 pm

Have a pair of 2 y.o. Mille shorts, and bought a pair of s7 cento's at Christmas. Chamois better, the rest isn't. Very happy the outlet restocked Milles, got a new pair last week. 200 clams. They do me for 4-5 hrs.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:27 pm

I'll take a turn to bring back this old thread too. How are we going with our purchases?

I had $200 Xmas money from my wife. So looked at the H.Milleshorts_s7 for long Audax rides. I did a 200km ride last year in my $40 Netti shorts. Ok but did end up with a sore butt.

Then I read about the T.Cento_s7 designed for long rides. But at $400 I couldn't justify double the price. Plus I think bibs would be wasted on me and just a nuisance (I have none of the issues bibs are meant to fix).

So H.Milleshorts_s7 here I come. I'll report back how they go this weekend in a 107km Audax ride.
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:38 am

DaveQB wrote:I'll take a turn to bring back this old thread too. How are we going with our purchases?

I had $200 Xmas money from my wife. So looked at the H.Milleshorts_s7 for long Audax rides. I did a 200km ride last year in my $40 Netti shorts. Ok but did end up with a sore butt.

Then I read about the T.Cento_s7 designed for long rides. But at $400 I couldn't justify double the price. Plus I think bibs would be wasted on me and just a nuisance (I have none of the issues bibs are meant to fix).

So H.Milleshorts_s7 here I come. I'll report back how they go this weekend in a 107km Audax ride.
Glad i came accross this topic, now Dave QB you mentioned in your 2nd last paragraph that there was issues that bibs were meant to fix so with that in mind, what are these issues?

I visited a local bikeshop a few months ago looking for some bike shorts that would fit me and the lady who served me suggested bibs for larger riders as they don't ride down like some shorts do...so is that one of the issues? Are there any other advantages of bibs over shorts or disadvantages?
When i first learnt about bibs, they kind of looked like they were for hardcore racers pretty much like full leather suit is for a motor GP rider....
so i'm still trying to learn about the pros & cons of different clothing set ups.

I'm of a large ssizeand won't be getting into racing but bike touring is my interest, so would bibs be suitable for touring?

Thanks in advance for any info that may help me decide how to kit myself up.

Cheers

Dave
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:47 am

brumby33 wrote: Glad i came accross this topic, now Dave QB you mentioned in your 2nd last paragraph that there was issues that bibs were meant to fix so with that in mind, what are these issues?
Yeah there is apparently. Online searches brings up these points:

1. Stop your pants from falling down. (Mine never have, even on a 200km ride)

2. Keeps the pants all straight and so keeps the padding where it's meant to be. (Again, I've never had the padding move anywhere)

3. Removes the tight elastic around your waist. (Now I've read about this, I can feel this but once I'm riding I don't; I'm only aware of this since reading about it. No big deal and with the H.Milleshorts_s7 Assos have made the waist elastic very wide and soft to spread the pressure over a greater area so a null point with these pants)

I understand the reasons people say bibs are better but they just don't apply to me and my body. I've always had narrow hips in relation to my body, so maybe it's that that keeps these issues at bay for me. I've figured I don't need bibs, so make the most of it and don't get them and be forced to deal with the added difficulty in doing #2s and slight extra heat etc etc

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:08 am

Great thanks for that Dave....yeah i didn't think about the hassle about going to the loo....which would mean having to take off your jersey first then the shoulder straps.....yeah...not much good if suddenly you had the urge to go.... :shock: :lol:
I found a pair of shorts that fitted me well in a 3xl where many shorts didn't come anywhere near my girth even though they were supposedly the same size....i think my brand was called bellweather or something like that...first time i've heard about them but they are pretty comfy and don't seem to ride down on me.

Again...cheers for that Dave QB.

Brumby33

Dave
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:24 pm

No worries mate. Good luck.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:30 pm

I've got the H.Milleshorts_s7 (pretty purple chamois!) and really like them. Probably my best along with the S5 Uno's. I also just prefer shorts over bibs for some reason (its more the not getting on with the shoulder straps than anything else). The sowing of the chamois is a little weird (open on both sides to get the H shape) so not sure how the longevity will go on them. But still great shorts.
Each to their own with shorts I reckon.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:33 pm

rodneycc wrote:I've got the H.Milleshorts_s7 (pretty purple chamois!) and really like them. Probably my best along with the S5 Uno's. I also just prefer shorts over bibs for some reason (its more the not getting on with the shoulder straps than anything else). The sowing of the chamois is a little weird (open on both sides to get the H shape) so not sure how the longevity will go on them. But still great shorts.
Each to their own with shorts I reckon.
Awesome. I'm looking forward to trying mine out tomorrow. I think I'd find the straps annoying too. I should try bibs one day just so I know.

You're referring to the Golden Gate setup?

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:03 pm

I've heard of the Ku-Ku Penthouse which is btw the funniest name I've ever heard of (of getting your manhood in the right spot :-) ), but its not that, just looks like a sown H shape to me for better ergonomics.

Edit: Actually yeah looks like it is called Golden Gate the S7 shorts. Just looked it up so that's that H: shape
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

open roader

Postby open roader » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:03 pm

I have a pair of the T Cento bibshorts.

The S7 chamois is excellent, maybe even better than the S5 which I also have.

My only beef is that the shoulder straps have a square edge which chafed my nipples. I sowed the offending strap margins over as a partial overlap to give a rounded edge and problem solved. Pretty foolish oversight on Assos' behalf though, top shelf dollars should mean top shelf performance, straight out of the box.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:04 pm

rodneycc wrote:I've heard of the Ku-Ku Penthouse which is btw the funniest name I've ever heard of (of getting your manhood in the right spot :-) ), but its not that, just looks like a sown H shape to me for better ergonomics.

Edit: Actually yeah looks like it is called Golden Gate the S7 shorts. Just looked it up so that's that H: shape
Yeah Golden Gate. It's meant to allow the chamois to move independent of the pants. We'll see but I can see it leading to people having their pants on a bit off centre (rear seam) as the feedback from the chamois that your on straight won't tell you where the pants are. If that makes sense.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:05 pm

open roader wrote:I have a pair of the T Cento bibshorts.

That's the thickest chamois they have in the S7 range. Liking it? When I tried them on I could really feel the chamois. That settles once on the bike?

open roader

Postby open roader » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:08 am

DaveQB wrote:
open roader wrote:I have a pair of the T Cento bibshorts.

That's the thickest chamois they have in the S7 range. Liking it? When I tried them on I could really feel the chamois. That settles once on the bike?
Yep.

I have ridden these 5 times now and hand washed after each occasion and they have settled down now to a very comfortable ride. Initially they felt a little like a small nappy/diaper but were still comfortable enough, however over the last couple of rides I did not spend a calorie of brain power thinking about them feeling different. I rode my much older S5 Mille bib tights the day after and began thinking how much thinner and floppy the chamois felt after 5 rides on the S7 chamois :D

Thank goodness Assos have kept their sizing the same as the previous series, size L for me is still size L in the new series.

I have a pair of Mille S7 bib tights coming for when this summer finally buggers off...........
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

jemima

Postby jemima » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:30 am

Had been wearing shorts for the last couple of years and happy with that.
They were wearing out so I decided to plunge in to the bibs market.

Was looking closely at Assos long-distance type bibs, but in the end decided to take a gamble on Red&White 'The Bibs' (Singapore guys).
I'm no expert on chamois design, and these have a gel section built in to them, but I am extremely happy with their product.
The fit is fantastic for me. The straps are great (you don't know they are there). Really good for hot weather riding.

Only thing is, with the silicon leg ends, I'm getting that upper thigh rash for the first time, which I realise can be fixed by wearing knee coolers/warmers.

If you can navigate through their tricky website, you can find the reviews.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:10 pm

Changed saddles to a spec. Toupe at Christmas, and found that the newer s7 chamois (I have the T centos) suits this much better than the older 5 chamois (I use the mille). Bit of a bummer as the leg length is much better in the 5's for me during summer.

39x25

Postby 39x25 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:45 pm

I have this combo.. Sworks toupe with centos. Works for me..