Seatpost clamp

dudleygb

Seatpost clamp

Postby dudleygb » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi guys,

Something weird is happening with my seatpost clamp. Been working fine, but suddenly its as if, its just losing its 'clampiness' or something. As I ride, the thing just keeps sinking into the frame. I've tightened this thing with all the force I can muster but it refuses to hold. Can someone please recommend me a good seatpost clamp. Its such a small and annoying yet critical item. Thanks in advance.
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

KGB

Re: Seatpost clamp

Postby KGB » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:57 pm

What frame, clamp and post? What grease, if any, are you using?

Sometimes this can be solved with some carbon assembly paste, other times you'll need a special double clamp that camps onto the frame and the post to really lock it in place.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:02 pm

May I ask what you weigh?
I am around 100kg and after 7 years the aluminium Ritchey seat post compressed a tiny bit where it was clamped and therefore wouldn't stay at the same height. I replaced both the clamp and the post and all is now fine.
The moral of the story for me was that all parts of the bike wear out - it's just a case of time!
Andrew

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:10 pm

thanx for the responses!

I see there was some or other grey grease on the post. Sorry, I should've mentioned I loaned my wifes bicycle clamp and that seems to be holding. Maybe I just had a crap clamp to start with. I got a Polygon frame from bicyclesonline.com.au and an entity seatpost.

I weigh around 95kg. Agreed, it could just have worn from my bulkness. Either way, I just want to get a better clamp. Really appreciate the tips and suggestions.
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:45 am

Sounds like the thread has been stripped on the end of the tensioning bolt, hence max. torque still not clamping the ring tight enough to hold......
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:01 pm

I got some decent new clamps but still its not holding, looks like I will need a new seatpost. Can someone please recommend me one from here:--> http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/shop/part ... west_price" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I ride a MTB, adapted for commuting during the week and offroad on the weekend
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:44 pm

dudleygb wrote:I got some decent new clamps but still its not holding, looks like I will need a new seatpost. Can someone please recommend me one from here:--> http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/shop/part ... west_price" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I ride a Polygon MTB...
Polygon MTB are 30.9 seatposts ???? I don't see any on the page you linked.

PS I had the same problem on my son's road bike. Swapped the worn carbon post for a new aluminium one, got a new clamp - problem solved

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:42 pm

yeah you are right, thank you for that.

if anyone can recommend a replacement 30.9 MTB, I would be grateful. So far the only ones I've seen are crazy expensive.
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0