Upgrading the commuter

Whorl

Upgrading the commuter

Postby Whorl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:16 pm

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but here goes.

I am currently using a 2012 Trek 7.3 FX bike for commuting duties:
http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/20 ... rek/7_3_fx

The bike has had a few changes from stock, but nothing in the major componentry. After hitting 2000km's on it in the last few weeks, and dealing with some wet weather commuting, I'm looking at upgrading the drivetrain and BB. Bike is currently specced with MTB gear, and am looking to change to a road groupset (2x10) with flatbar shifters. Possibly looking at Tiagra or above setup. Not sure on SRAM gear since I've never used it, but I'm presuming this would also be an option.

Does anyone have experience with doing something like this, and any notes that are worthwhile to keep in mind? I'm presuming any English threaded BB should fit, so long as I select a matching chainset.

Lastly, I'm also looking to change the wheelset to something a bit more sturdy than stock. Would there be much of a noticeable difference between a heavier wheelset or lighter for commuting duties?

rangersac

Re: Upgrading the commuter

Postby rangersac » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:10 pm

I've played around with various combos on my commuters over the years. My take on what you are proposing is that you won't gain much in the way of overall performance. The biggest plus would be improved shifting from Tiagra/ Deore level shifters rather than the ones you currently have. Moving from MTB to road ders and crankset though won't really do much. Sure a double rather than a triple crankset will be lighter, but then if you are looking at sturdier wheels overall you won't lose weight. Shifting performance from the ders will be basically the same whether it's road or MTB, and a Deore RD/ Altus FD combo is perfectly fine for commuting in my book. One other argument for keeping your 8 speed drivetrain rather than switching to a 10 speed, is that 8 speed chains and cogs are slightly thicker so tend to last longer than their 10 speed equivalents.

Bottom Bracket: Yes any English threaded will be fine provided it matches the chainset. I'd steer away from external bearing types though unless you run mudguards as they won't last as long as a internal cartridge type if they are getting hammered by water.

Regarding wheels, something a bit heavier really won't make much difference on the commute. My philosophy with a commuter is you want something that's study and reliable since you are going to be riding it in all weather, and invariably carrying a bit of weight in addition to yourself. Far better to lose a minute on your commute then continually having to true wheels thanks to the rigorous of the grind.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:23 pm

I have a different take on this to rangersac, mainly because I just upgraded a commuter from a similar low spec bottom bracket & crankset to current deore. I changed the chain and cassette at the same time, but the most noticeable improvement was the crank & bottom bracket. It didn't add 5 km/h or anything like that, just made the bike much more pleasant to ride. I should note that mine was about 6 or 7 years old & was fairly knackered.

I do agree with keeping to 8 speed, but I am a retrogrough

queequeg

Upgrading the commuter

Postby queequeg » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:43 pm

I had a 7.5FX and changed the drivetrain from the stock MTB stuff over to a Tiagra Road Triple, changed the BB, FD and RD, but left everything else the same.
It was a pretty cheap changeover, and by keeping it a triple I did not have to change the shifters. That is when it gets a bit more expensive.

The road drivetrain was much smoother than the clunky non-series stuff that came on the bike.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:59 pm

Bottom bracket certainly needs replacing, so I figure I can play to my inner hobbyist and fix/change other bits and pieces while I'm at it. But it is a commuter, and I guess at the end of the day it does need to be solid and reliable.

I have a few more things to think on now and perhaps do a bit more reading before I make any decisions on exactly which path I'll take in changing over components.

98octane

Postby 98octane » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:58 pm

You might be interested in my experience of commuting on the higher-spec Trek flat bar.

I commute on a 2012 Trek 7.6fx, which has just clocked 10,000km. I ride in all weather every weekday, mostly on shared paths including some very rough timber and cobbled stones parts.

It has its original Deore drive train. I have replaced the chain once, and will shortly need to replace the rear cluster and chain again. Chainrings have plenty of life left.

It's biggest weakness as a commuter is its wheels. They are Bontrager 24-spoke 700Cs. I've broken several spokes on the rear wheel and need to true it every 6 months.

I run a Continental GP4000 on the rear (I get around 5000km per tyre) and the front still has the original Bontrager Race All-Weathers. I rarely get flats - less than yearly.

I prefer speed over durability, so it's been a great bike for my purposes.

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:02 am

Wheels are something I am also definitely replacing. I was looking at something like the pro-lite como or garda. Tossing up staying with 32c or dropping to 28c.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:16 am

28c is fine for commuting. They are still wide enough so you don't have to run stupidly high pressures so are comfortable, and will easily handle a bit of gravel if necessary. Wear wise they last a similar time to 32c.
Last edited by rangersac on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:39 pm

Whorl wrote:Wheels are something I am also definitely replacing. I was looking at something like the pro-lite como or garda. Tossing up staying with 32c or dropping to 28c.
We run 28mm tyres on our Tandem which has the same width rim as the Como. We've ridden it on heaps of dirt roads etc without issue.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:46 pm

Wheel + drivetrain changeover is getting pretty close to a new bike I'd say.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:54 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Wheel + drivetrain changeover is getting pretty close to a new bike I'd say.
You wash your mouth out - wheels, drivetrain, brakes & SWMBO just sees it as the old bike :D

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:55 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Wheel + drivetrain changeover is getting pretty close to a new bike I'd say.
But not as satisfying as changing to exactly what you want. It should be a fun (and possibly frustrating) venture, but I enjoying getting hands on with this sort of stuff.

Really I was interested in people who had played around with road groupsets and flatbar shifters.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:03 pm

Whorl wrote:
But not as satisfying as changing to exactly what you want. It should be a fun (and possibly frustrating) venture, but I enjoying getting hands on with this sort of stuff.

Really I was interested in people who had played around with road groupsets and flatbar shifters.
i cant comment on shimano side of things, but all sram 10 speed (mountain and road) plays nicely.
i originally had X9 flat bar shifters with sram rival gear. i then changed to drop bars with sram red shifters and still plays just as nicely.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:57 pm

rangersac wrote:One other argument for keeping your 8 speed drivetrain rather than switching to a 10 speed, is that 8 speed chains and cogs are slightly thicker so tend to last longer than their 10 speed equivalents.
I disagree with you. Chain width doesn't really have that much of an effect on durability. The materials they're made from and various surface treatments are a much bigger factor. For example, anything in that HG-50 Tiagra/Deore family, whether it's 8, 9 or 10-sp. is all basically the same stuff, so subjected to the same conditions will wear at the same rate.

If you're thinking about the flex the chain goes through as it shifts across the gears, bear in mind that as the sprocket count increases, they get closer together as well as thinner, so there's no greater lateral load on the narrower chain.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:50 pm

Just to give an update on this project. I have finished upgrading the bike to a Tiagra 2x10 group now, with flatbar road shifters. Also changed my wheelset (novatech hubs/Alex rims) with 28c schwalbe marathon plus rubber. New deore brakes and levers.

Very satisfied with the outcome! Much smoother shifting and breaking, and rolls very nicely now. :)