USB "to see" front light recommendations

newbikeorupgrade

Re: USB "to see" front light recommendations

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:15 pm

Where can I buy the moon? : (

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:38 pm

I got mine through my local bike shop (Hooked on Angling in Tewantin if you happen to be around there) but i have seen them on a fair few websites, can't think of any at the moment.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jacks1071

Re: USB

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:45 pm

warthog1 wrote:
blakeylonger wrote:some beam shots.
Shitzenhausen :o
That airstream shot looks woeful.

Blame tapatalk
Either the photo's are mixed up or the Airstream was on its lowest power setting with a flat battery - even then it doesn't look right.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:45 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
warthog1 wrote:

Blame tapatalk
Either the photo's are mixed up or the Airstream was on its lowest power setting with a flat battery - even then it doesn't look right.
I'm wondering whether there's a dodgy batch in the wild... mine is about as bright as the pic; completely useless as a MTB light (though that's not its primary use). Can't even tell whether or not it's on one my $30 helmet-mounted eBay cheapie is going though!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:44 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
warthog1 wrote:

Blame tapatalk
Something has got to be wrong with that photo as it doesn't correspond with the feedback I've heard in general on here.

Blame tapatalk
Dogs are the best people :wink:

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:46 pm

My new Lezyne Deca drive is working well so far. Happy to have got it for $100. I reckon it was a mistake for BikeBug to have that price on their web site.

acb

Postby acb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:08 pm

These are good buying at the moment. Light spread is very impressive http://www.pushys.com.au/light-motion-t ... light.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

singlespeedscott

USB "to see" front light recommendations

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:36 pm

acb wrote:These are good buying at the moment. Light spread is very impressive http://www.pushys.com.au/light-motion-t ... light.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Burn times are not very impressive.

acb

Postby acb » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:17 am

I've been getting about 3 hours on medium which is about average for a good self contained light.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:34 pm

What are people's thoughts on Lezyne LED Super Drive XL Light 500 Lumen?
http://www.pushys.com.au/lezyne-led-sup ... lumen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:38 pm

Probably puts out a bit of light. Unshaped beam rules it out for me though.

Blame tapatalk

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:40 pm

Ross wrote:What are people's thoughts on Lezyne LED Super Drive XL Light 500 Lumen?
http://www.pushys.com.au/lezyne-led-sup ... lumen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have the 575 lumen model. That ad is confusing as to whether it's the current 575 lumen model or the old 500 lumen model. Anyway, I'm happy with the light. Run times on max brightness aren't very long but I purchased the loaded option which came with a spare battery. Beam pattern is fine. Handlebar mount is solid on the new model (not sure about the old model). One issue is that the maximum brightness (Overdrive mode) is not easily accessible.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:37 pm

I as going to bag it as a "tell him he's dreamin'" lumen spec, but it appears Lezyne are very honest...
This year's MTBR test is quite useful for data.
http://reviews.mtbr.com/review-lezyne-super-drive-xl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Given that, I would not want to be an oncoming observer to that light; small point source and uncontrolled beam spread.
Also it drops a lot of light close to the bike, which would distract from your distance viewing.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:54 am

does anyone have the B&M Ixon core IQ2 ? Looks like a reasonably good light for a good price. How does it compare with the DX torches ?

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:20 am

It will have a much better beam pattern (for riding on road) than a DX (or any other) torch.

50 lux is reasonable but still bettered by the Philips Saferide, and total illumination (eg beam width and foreground illumination) is hard to know without a beamshot or a good descriptive test.

But it is smaller and lighter, with better run time.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:20 pm

biker jk wrote:
Ross wrote:What are people's thoughts on Lezyne LED Super Drive XL Light 500 Lumen?
I have the 575 lumen model. That ad is confusing as to whether it's the current 575 lumen model or the old 500 lumen model. Anyway, I'm happy with the light. Run times on max brightness aren't very long but I purchased the loaded option which came with a spare battery. Beam pattern is fine. Handlebar mount is solid on the new model (not sure about the old model). One issue is that the maximum brightness (Overdrive mode) is not easily accessible.
Yes just noticed that the description is a bit ambiguous. The pricing doesn't help either. It's either a really good deal for a 575 lumen or an expensive 500 lumen. The 500 lumen I've seen for just under $80 and the new 575 lumen is around $120.

Doesn't appear to be a lot of difference between old and new lights, I think mount is the same, new light just has an extra super hi-beam that is 575 lumens where the old one is just 500 (I think new one still has "normal" hi-beam of 500 lumens).

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:10 pm

The difference to an observer between 500 or 575 would be minimal - our vision/perception works on a logarithmic scale.

Either way though, they are probably putting out high numbers by using very "cool" rendering LEDs, ie ones with lots of blue but not much yellow or particularly red in their output. The perception of these is that they are very bright, but they don't always help you to see the best.

kyap

Postby kyap » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:54 am

I received the Philips Saferide 80 as a gift but it wasn't working well.

Brand new. Charged battery first time. 20 mins high then I turned to low (sky getting bright) for another 15-20mins and the battery went flat. Lucky the sky was bright already. Phewww....

Anyone has the same issue with this light??

Apart the issue, love this light. Low is pretty much useless. High is like motorbike light. Nice spread and and the vertical angle cover is very good. But don't think high is sufficient for my 2 hrs one-way commute. Using L&M as spare.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:38 am

I had similar issues when I first got mine.

What charger did you use? I've found it runs best off the original charger (with a socket adaptor). Also check the batteries are good, perhaps replace them. And yes, it takes hours to charge.

kyap

Postby kyap » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:50 am

MattyK wrote:I had similar issues when I first got mine.

What charger did you use? I've found it runs best off the original charger (with a socket adaptor). Also check the batteries are good, perhaps replace them. And yes, it takes hours to charge.
I use the built-in charger. Yes I charged it through original charger with Australian adapter. And yes I charged it for 9 hours till the blue light stays on.

Check the battery?? Hmmm, this is a tough one as I don't have any device to check.

I am planning to get Sanyo Eneloop XX but am trying to see if this is actually issue with battery. Don't want to spend money :p

Thanks

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:07 am

Check the batteries as in: pull them out and try a brand new set instead. I tried two different sets before settling on the ones I use now (Energizer from memory but it is hazy).

I don't have a problem buying extra AA batteries as they will otherwise get used in one of the kids' toys if I don't need them :)

kyap

Postby kyap » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:55 am

I'll get a set of Eneloop XX later and try it. Mean time I'll get a set of non-rechargeable as I don't have light to go home tonight. (been on built-in charger at work since 8am this morning and only on first blue bar) :(

Thank Matty.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:38 pm

kyap wrote:Low is pretty much useless.
Really? I use mine on low most of the time and only put it on high for high speed downhill sections.
I agree burn time could be better, but mine will run for 1.5 hrs on high and 8ish hrs on low(dont know exactly).

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:41 pm

If low isn't sufficient then it's faulty or your eyes are.

I never need high for urban riding, only pitch black descents.

kyap

Postby kyap » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:55 pm

The Low lumen is similar to the 3rd settings on my L&M Urban 180.

So I'd put in a non-rechargeable battery (Duracell Ultra) for my commute back home just now. You not gonna believe it....high settings only can maintain about 15 mins then it turned to low. The blue light was blinking on 1 bar and survived...all the way till I'm home (1:45hrs later)

And yes, I can't see clearly on Low settings especially in pitch dark...I have to actually point it down close to my tire so I can see what is in front and reducing my speed.

Back home. I open the cover and turn on the button, on Low there is this weird buzzing sound if you put it near to ear. Turned on High, the buzzing noise gone. Removed the batt and put the original cheageable in and using the same charger to charge the rechargeable battery....ITS CHARGING NOW!!! Now the third bar is blinking during charging. It wasn't when I was at work. This made me think....is my power outlet not stable at work?? Hmmm.....

I am charging the original Philips 2450mah battery now and will test it tmr. Not riding but to turn it on and time it and observe the behavior. I hope I didn't get a lemon unit. I actually love this light when its on High working fine.