Advice on sunglasses and comfy winter clothing ideas

dudleygb

Advice on sunglasses and comfy winter clothing ideas

Postby dudleygb » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi guys,

I reeeeeaallly need a pair of glasses. I commute 45km a day every day and I'm reeeeealy getting tired of the bugs flying in my eyes and mouth.
For the glasses, I dont want to spend a lot +- $60? I found these, are they any good?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JetBlack-Jet ... 4ad2b894ac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know of anything that can prevent the bugs going in your mouth. I thought of cycling with a snorkel but thats not quite practical. :)
Also, winter almost upon us, has anyone got any cost effective suggestions what to get to keep some vital parts warm? If I analyse what gets cold, it seems the blast from the headlong wind chill is the biggest, so face, head and arms seem to get most of it.
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

rangersac

Re: Advice on sunglasses and comfy winter clothing ideas

Postby rangersac » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:44 pm

Dunno about your glasses. For photochromatics I recommend Tifosi. They cost a bit more than the ones you posted but I reckon they are worth it. I have a pair of the light night lenses (25%-75% transmission) and they get worn for everything from night MTB rides to full sun day trips.

As for the insect problem maybe a bandanna that you can slip up and down as required?
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

MN GLXR

Postby MN GLXR » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:23 pm

Mate as silly as it sounds, go to your local hardware mega store. The glasses these days are stylish, shatterproof and under $30. Look for UV Wraps brand for polarised sunnies too.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:37 pm

Well, I have normal prescription glasses but they are only OK to a certain speed so I use my fishing Polarizing sunnies when on the bike.
The brand is "Fitovers" as they fit over the prescription glasses. They are inexpensive but work well being designed to exclude stray light getting behind the lenses means they exclude wind as well. They have enough ventilation to not fog in any conditions I have encountered in 15 years of regular use, mainly fishing in varying weather conditions. They are a bit large though. I have had not problems at all with them though I haven't been much above 70 kmph on the bike yet.

Regards,
Ken

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:39 pm

dudleygb wrote: Does anyone know of anything that can prevent the bugs going in your mouth. I thought of cycling with a snorkel but thats not quite practical. :)
Keep your mouth closed :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:27 am

haha thanx guys, I will try keep my mouth closed, the path I take home at night is like bug city...lol
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:33 am

i see the JetBlack cycle goods brand is locally produced in Australia. Cant seem to find much info about them, but I guess one cant go wrong with impact resistant, photochromics for $59
Last edited by dudleygb on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:04 am

found this, not bad article...

http://coachlevi.com/cycling/sunglass-l ... ion-guide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:44 pm

I've got the Jet Black Photo Chromatics - they are good. Fit well, stay put, frames don't intrude on vision. They work well on gloomy days and early starts/late finishes.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:52 pm

I have the same pair of Jetblacks. I ware them all times dark mornings and evenings as well as sunny days. They work a treat, i have never thought thwy were to dark or not dark enough, which is just about the best compliment you can pay a pare of photocromaic's i guess :)

I do find the top rim of the glasses gets in the way when im in the drops though. But that's when I'm on the fixie which is a track bike frame and pretty head down bum up so just about any glasses would have that issue. On the defy they are no problems.
Tom

alexander

Postby alexander » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:13 pm

lightweight buff and have it over your mouth.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:55 pm

thanx for the responses, ordered one of the JetBlack chromatics, they really are a good deal at $59. What's interesting is I ordered them from deadlytreadlies and after the order, I received an order confirmation from pushy's...lol.
Seems Pushys maybe moving shop or whatever :) At any rate, all looks good.
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:09 pm

And just for a backup pair I will go get some safety glasses from the mega hardware, good idea thank you
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:25 pm

Shops like Rays Outdoors also sell safety glasses, including a few models by Bolle. Not sure that they work any better than the uncool Uvex and Protector glasses you'll get at your gianthardwareshed, but the brand has more street cred :rolleyes: . I like mine, anyway.

As for winter clothing... recommendations will vary depending on where you are. Broome winters are a bit different to Jindabyne winters. We do get some people on here wringing their hands over how to survive a cold 18°C morning ride in Brisbane (which is amusing to those of us who don't see double-digit temperatures for weeks at a time).

Generally though, the big killer (and/or saviour) in winter is airflow. If you can keep the cold wind out, you'll stand a better chance of staying warm. By the same token, if you overdo the clothing, it's easy to overheat in winter... in which case, letting a bit of cool air through some well placed vents will help. I find armpits are a great place to remove excess heat - I make great use of vests to keep my core warm (undershirts, windproof gilets, fleece vests over business shirt for commuting), which leaves my arms and pits free to radiate excess heat if I have any. I commute most winter days in my rain jacket, as a wind barrier - with the pit vents open to let the sauna heat out.

If you're warm when you leave the house, you'll be hot in 5km... so plan on being a bit cold until you get the blood flowing. That strategy will leave you dangerously exposed, though, if you have a mechanical and get stranded far from help, without any proper warm gear. If that's a possible scenario, plan accordingly.

tim

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Sun May 04, 2014 2:49 pm

just in case anyone else was needing something to keep your face warm, (right now that part gets the coldest for me), I found this for $4.85

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281317006417 ... 1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought the jetblack photochromatics, and they are fine but they do seem to have a crazy lens on them, unless its just me
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun May 04, 2014 7:11 pm

dudleygb wrote:just in case anyone else was needing something to keep your face warm, (right now that part gets the coldest for me), I found this for $4.85

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281317006417 ... 1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Could always use it for a few bank withdrawals to fund the next n+1 purchase...

cp123

Postby cp123 » Sun May 04, 2014 7:48 pm

or when you DIY liver with fava beans and a good chianti.... :lol:

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Mon May 05, 2014 9:07 pm

hahahaha, yeah it does look suspect, reminds me of 'silence of the lambs' mask
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

anthcon

Postby anthcon » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:05 pm

Italian Selev glasses
http://neobikes.com.au/sunglasses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;