New, but retro single speed wanted

Stuey

New, but retro single speed wanted

Postby Stuey » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:14 pm

Hi guys,

Here's a tough one, maybe. A dear lady friend of mine who is a serious cyclist (has done prob. 10,000 km a year for at least 15 years) has always ridden a quality modern bike, currently a high end carbon Wilier.

She asks me her bike related questions, and now wants a nice steel single speed roadie for casual weekend riding and wants suggestions . She has a strong Italian preference (being Italian), but I'm sure any nice steel frame would be OK. She also prefers retro looking stuff generally. And now she wants me to recommend the bike. The kind of thing that appeals is one of those Cooper bikes, but not so wanky, if you get my drift. And Italian steel if poss. I think under a grand is the ballpark price.

I am happy to build one up from a nice frame. But initially we'd like to see what's available new, as I know she wouldn't want to bother me with the build. I will recommend a nice frame (NOS or used) and new components, but first I'd like to see what's out there because my project time is limited.

She showed me some supposed Italian bike sold by an Au company, but as soon as I spotted that the tubing brand or type wasn't specified, I knew it'd be rubbish. Sure enough, the bike was 12kg - as a single speed (AT) 52cm ... probably not Columbus' finest.

So, recommendations, please, if there are any meeting the criteria.

Cheers

Stuey