Best upgrade?

gimlet

Best upgrade?

Postby gimlet » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:08 am

I am looking for some upgrade advice.

My bike is this one http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /100196283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have been riding it a lot each week and have started to think of either upgrading something or buying a new bike. I would be in a better position financially next tear to buy a new bike but was thinking it might be worth upgrading the wheels in the meantime.

Is this a worthy upgrade to do? I have heard it makes the most difference. Any other suggestions on upgrades or wheel options?

Thanks

reefer

Re: Best upgrade?

Postby reefer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:19 pm

Upgrade when something breaks or wears out, other than that, generally, it’s a waste of money imo.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:02 pm

Keep riding it until next year then buy a whole new bike. Save this one as a spare or loaner, or sell/giveaway to someone starting out.

Sent from my iPhinger ...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

gimlet

Postby gimlet » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:16 pm

Mmm. Well, it was the wife who was saying she would buy me a present of a new bike for my birthday (May) and I saying maybe next year and just get an upgrade this year. Mainly because I could afford more next year not for want of not buying a new toy :)

open roader

Postby open roader » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:45 pm

The best upgrade is to replace a part / parts if and when you find they are limiting your ability to ride your bike as you require.

If on the other hand you simply fancy something different for the sake of it, then only you can answer which upgrade is best for you - no one here is better qualified to read your mind than you.

From your question and reply above, it sounds to me like you want something new just for the hell of it as you have provided no details / anecdotes as to how or what your bicycle / parts are holding you back. If this is the case and your current bike still works as you require it to then save your hard earned money and think about how and why you can improve your current ride and think about what takes your fancy out there and where will it fit into improving your riding experience.

I'm not saying you shouldn't upgrade wheeels (or anything else for that matter) but understand the reason you want to / need to do so before spending anything.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:55 pm

The best upgrade is the engine.
Ride more, get stronger and lose weight. Bonus is it's free.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

gimlet

Postby gimlet » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks for your replies and wise advise all. I do agree with what you have all said.

I guess I was looking for advice on what I could respond to my wife as a good present for my birthday. She would like to buy something for my cycling as she sees it as my primary hobby, which it is.

And while I understand the best upgrade is to work on me, it is not really something she can give as a birthday present.

I thought there might be something that I would appreciate the difference if upgraded on this merida road bike. I had heard that wheels or even tyres do make a difference, and was interested in people's opinions and recommendations. Perhaps it is not worth it and I should go for some thing like cycling clothing rather than for the bike per se.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:35 pm

Just get some cycling clothing and save the money.

The engine is what helps - upgrading that makes the difference. Join a club and start riding with them.

deadrat

Postby deadrat » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:24 pm

Gimlet....ignore most of these responses. Your wife wants to get you a birthday present and you clearly like/love your cycling. GET ANOTHER BIKE! The Merida is basic and obviously fine....but your cycling enjoyment will go up a level or two with something nicer. Check out the shops, test ride and get something you really want.

kb

Postby kb » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:29 pm

Bike fit? It's the sort of thing wouldn't bother to get myself but if someone else wanted to shout me...

rjk

Postby rjk » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:46 am

if you were going to keep the bike, definitely new wheels would make a hell of a difference.

But as you are going to get a whole new bike next year it aint worth it, save the money you would spend now and put it towards the new bike.

You will be able to go for a better bike than you would have, and then you upgrade the wheels on that beastie.
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane