Are There Bikes Suited to Heavy Riders?

Lucid2day

Are There Bikes Suited to Heavy Riders?

Postby Lucid2day » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:15 pm

Hey everybody,

I am a newbie to the forum and have just finished my first Ironman. I never realised that I actually really enjoy riding after training for it.
Having moved back to Oz after living in NZ, I left my bike there as It was an alloy cheapie (that served me well) and I already had 90kgs of baggage for the return trip with the intentions of upgrading once back. The old bike was heavy but I felt comfortable on it.
Intentions is to keep training for another Ironman in October. I am not sure if I should be looking at a Tri bike or a roadie (like my old bike) at this stage.
I have never been under 100kgs and hover around 105-110kgs and at 5'10 I sit in the XXXL clothing bracket.
Now as I am looking for a replacement bike I am not sure if my weight plays a big part in what I should be looking at, especially if I am thinking in terms of carbon frames. Or, am I just thinking too much about the whole new bike process?
If there are any brands or styles I should avoid given my weight any advise would be gratefully appreciated?

Regards

outnabike

Re: Are There Bikes Suited to Heavy Riders?

Postby outnabike » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi Lucid2day and welcome.
I had the same thoughts and bought a Vivente World Randonneur, http://www.viventebikes.com/main/page_t ... uring.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Al steel and strongly built, it is not a racing bike as far as weight goes. But that's why God created gears. I have no trouble with it and I like the mudguards and rack for shopping etc.
They come safety equipped as well with a Dynamo in the front wheel , lights front and back. Not for everyone but good value.
Plenty of models to choose from. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

rjk

Postby rjk » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:46 pm

Bmc and many other have no weight limit. You dollar amount is the only limit with bmc I know a couple of people with the tmr roadie which is a time trialing bike which maybe suitable. Great for bumch rides as well

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:57 pm

rjk wrote:Bmc and many other have no weight limit.
The reason many brands don't advertise weight limits has nothing to do with testing/product strength and everything to do with liability.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:59 pm

I wouldn't be so worried about the frame on any well know brand bike. Both Alloy and Carbon will be fine for your weight. But maybe be a little careful with your wheel and tyre selection. Some wheels are better than others with weight limits and I'd go with 25mm tyres instead of 23s.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

rjk

Postby rjk » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:22 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
The reason many brands don't advertise weight limits has nothing to do with testing/product strength and everything to do with liability.
I looked at the cannondale and was told i could not have it because of weight limit, i was 105kg at that time.

I am on older clyde so i got an endurance bike, a trek domane project 1, the thing flies and i dont have to worry about my weight on it.

I have recently completed the buller 100km and the ballarat to melbourne 150km classic.

I know someone who works in an LBS that sells BMC's and their is definitely no weight limit with them

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:59 pm

rjk wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:
I looked at the cannondale and was told i could not have it because of weight limit, i was 105kg at that time.

I am on older clyde so i got an endurance bike, a trek domane project 1, the thing flies and i dont have to worry about my weight on it.

I have recently completed the buller 100km and the ballarat to melbourne 150km classic.

I know someone who works in an LBS that sells BMC's and their is definitely no weight limit with them
Just because one brand advertises a weight limit and another doesn't, doesn't mean that one brand is any "stronger" than the other. Just means that one brand is limiting warranty claims and the other is concerned with potential liability from advertising a "limit"
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:11 am

jacks1071 wrote: Just because one brand advertises a weight limit and another doesn't, doesn't mean that one brand is any "stronger" than the other. Just means that one brand is limiting warranty claims and the other is concerned with potential liability from advertising a "limit"
That's an incredibly cynical interpretation of specifications. If a bicycle manufacturer claims it is suitable for a 125 kg rider, then any buyer is legally entitled to expect it to give a rider of that weight a reasonable life.

I can't speak for all bicycle manufacturers, but own a Cannondale and can recommend them...

In the case of Cannondale, they don't "advertise" a weight limit and it can be difficult to find. Their bicycle owners manual prints in black and white - for anyone to rely on in any warranty claims - their high performance road bikes are suitable for a rider up to 125 kg plus 4.5 kg luggage (e.g. drinks, backpack). See their manual page 52 for weight limits and intended use.

If you look at the Cannondale road bike, you will see that the bottom bracket is much larger than many other carbon framed bikes, and the chain stays are also substantially larger. Even to a casual eye, there is reason to understand why Cannondale offer a weight limit a little higher than many others (110 kg is more common).

The OP is well within that weight limit. How many years, or rather km, he gets out of it will be dependent on how quickly he loses weight (and how carefully he avoids excessive bumping on driveways, potholes etc.,.). In my view, if you've paid around $3000 to $4000K for a good road bike, ride it 5000 km per year, and get 5 years out of it, you've got damned good value out of it - and mine has done better than that already.

Other high end bike brands might also give you some solid documentation of their weight limits. Ask at the bike shop when you're checking them out.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Lucid2day

Postby Lucid2day » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks for the replies,
This info will help with making an informed choice.
Have a group of friends in Darwin that ride BMC's and they can't say enough about them. They also seem to have bottomless pockets with the choices they made.
Looks like I will have to do more homework before pulling the wallet out.

Informed decision minus Ego divided by Budget equals New Bike (in theory anyway)

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:21 am

wombatK wrote:
jacks1071 wrote: Just because one brand advertises a weight limit and another doesn't, doesn't mean that one brand is any "stronger" than the other. Just means that one brand is limiting warranty claims and the other is concerned with potential liability from advertising a "limit"
That's an incredibly cynical interpretation of specifications. If a bicycle manufacturer claims it is suitable for a 125 kg rider, then any buyer is legally entitled to expect it to give a rider of that weight a reasonable life.
My point exactly, which is why many/most brands don't advertise "limits"....

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:32 am

jacks1071 wrote:
wombatK wrote:
My point exactly, which is why many/most brands don't advertise "limits"....
Your point was that advertising a limit doesn't mean it's stronger than another. I disagree.

If a manufacturer puts it in writing, it's very likely he has the necessary testing and
design data to support it. That's a much better indicator of what you will get rather
than somehow guessing a weight limit or that all bikes might be equal in this regard.

Whether or not the manufacturer is prepared to stand behind his product to this extent, you
should always clearly advise the LBS of your weight and intended use for the bike and ensure
they agree it is fit for your purpose. Ultimately, the retailer is responsible for honoring your
warranty - so you've got to get him/her on the flypaper.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:55 am

As a heavier rider, the main point to consider is that things will wear out quicker for you compared to other people.

On the subject of bikes, you will find that weight limits on bikes relate more to componentry than the frame itself. Wheels are the limiting factor on bikes these days, and you would be lucky to find a nicer $2k+ bike that has wheels that suit your weight. Perhaps go with whatever bike you like and just try and get a credit on the wheels and get some of your own that are more suited to you. I was 125kg when I got my Felt F4 1 1/2 years ago and hover around 115 now, and did just that. I got credit on the wheels and used my own wheels that I had purchased to go on my previous bike.

On the Tri/road choice, unless your primary focus is Tri training and racing, then I would go for a road bike. There are some good road bikes that can be suited to tris (lots of aero road options around these days) but tri bikes don't make good road bikes.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:22 am

I weigh about 105Kg. I have a flat bar Cannondale which is aluminium and claims that it can take a rider up to about 130Kg and luggage of about 5Kg. The wheels have 28mm tyres. The frame seems to be fine (I broke my previous bike but I think that frame was too small and it flexed too much as I had the seat post high and it had a set back). But the back wheel - coming up to 8,000KMs and although I haven't broken a spoke for about a month I have broken 26 of the 32 spokes to date. I also had problems breaking spokes on my previous bike with a 36 spoke wheel. I do carry a fairly hefty bag in a rear basket which adds a bit of weight.

Moral of the story - the weak spot is the back wheel and make sure you get a large enough frame which should ensure your weight is less likely to flex the frame and the weight should be better distributed on the frame.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:48 pm

I agree rear wheels are the weak point. I have a regular riding mate that is 105kg and very strong. He is riding Mavic Kysrium Elite wheels that must have done 10,000km or perhaps twice that, without any failures.

Otherwise a set of traditional 36 spoke wheels with a decent rim like an Open Pro will see you right. This is what I ride.

I would also recommend 25mm or bigger tyres. 25 will fit virtually any racing bike and just give a bit more resistance to pinch flats that you will be more prone to than a lighter rider.

I would also suggest making sure your seatpost and saddle are also robust. I have previously snapped a lightweight post when I slipped on the pedal ( I was 90kg then) and sat hard on the saddle.

Cheers,
Roger

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:40 pm

DavidS wrote: Moral of the story - the weak spot is the back wheel and make sure you get a large enough frame which should ensure your weight is less likely to flex the frame and the weight should be better distributed on the frame.

DS
Not counting anything on racks, weight distribution is about 40% to front wheel, 60% to back - so the back wheel has much more to cope with and is the most likely place to find spoke failure etc.,.

But it's not just about weight - technique also matters and manufacturer's specs will be assuming your technique is good.

However, if you don't get out of the saddle on bumps, you'll be giving the wheels a much harder time - the dynamic loads this causes are multiples of your static weight load.

Additionally, if you sprint off the traffic lights, or grind away in too high a hear with the bike flopping from side to side. Wheels are pretty poor at taking side-loading like that, even if the stiffness of the frame is A1. As a heavier rider, you might have more explosive sprint power, which won't play well with the wheels ability to take side-loading.

Could it be that the fewer recent spoke breakages might be down to better rider technique ?
WombatK

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:55 pm

I reckon recent spoke survival is down to the fact the replacement spokes are thicker and I have been checking the tension of the spokes as I replace them, I have a tensiometer.

I agree about bumps and potholes. I do try and take my weight off the saddle over bumps but mainly try and avoid them. That said, there are some shockers: I ride along the beach in Melbourne and the path at the end of North Rd in Brighton has shocking ramps on and off the road where the road leads to the boat ramp. They lead to a nice bang on the wheel. I often think about going down there and digging it up and putting in a smooth ramp . . . hmm, Easter coming up, good few days when the council won't be around to stop me!

I take off fairly slow and certainly don't swing from side to side (I have a large bag in a rear basket, swinging from side to side ain't good). I also avoid standing on the pedals to go up hills. My technique has developed to take pressure off the rear wheel.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Lucid2day

Postby Lucid2day » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:10 am

Again,
Thank you for the responses.
I spent today at LBS's here in Hobart and of the 4 shops I visited they were all keen to showcase their endurance spec'ed bikes given what I wanted out of a bike and my sizing and budget.
I made it a point of wanting reassurance on the frames which they did by noting that frame warranties covered periods from 2yr-5yr-life time warranties.
They all stated that the rims would support me but a bit more research is prudent.

On the old girl I had to get 2 spokes replaced and probably had them trued about 4 times in the 6 months of training (not including the servicing). This all happened on the front rim only.
Cheers

rjk

Postby rjk » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:57 am

i have the shimano rs80 wheels, again there is no weight limit on these wheels, been straight and true for over 4 years now, if you have a bit more in the budget go for the shimano dura-ace.

I have just put hed ardennes plus cl on my trek domane project 1 so far so brilliant, man they are a great wheel