Finally a comparison/review of the "cheaper" road bikes

Homo Suburbiensis

Finally a comparison/review of the "cheaper" road bikes

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:33 pm

You get a lot of people on here asking about buying their first road bikes, often with a budget of less than $1000. The usual brands are always recommended Cell, Reid, Polygon etc.

Discussions of these brands often draw out very polarizing opinions, at the extreme ends there are the brand snobs that say they are all crap and recommend to spend extra to get name brand bikes while the Reid fanboys seem to think their bikes are the best and that all other bikes are just massively overpriced.

Anyway BikeRadar has done a review of the Cell Lapa 2.0, Polygon A5 and Reid Falco elite (w/aksiums). This is the overview http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/gear/a ... kes-40753/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and if you click on the links on that page you can find the individual reviews of the bikes. Quite an interesting read, given that there are so few real reviews of these bikes.

On a personal level, I have only had experience with the Cell and the Reid reviewed. Cell bikes have really lifted their game with their bikes this year and you can tell just by looking at the bike that a lot of effort has gone into designing the frame, they share many similarities with many big name brand frames. (IMO)The Reid frame looks a little generic and that seemed to be the opinion of the reviewer as well.

jaythefordman

Re: Finally a comparison/review of the "cheaper" road bikes

Postby jaythefordman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:21 pm

Saw those reviews yesterday. Very good comparison indeed.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:33 pm

Yeah nice reviews. I must admit I've really hadn't taken much notice of the Lapa before because the more expensive Omeo had all the fanfare (and thats a really nice bike!). So will have to pay a bit more attention to the Lapa.

With the other reviews well the triple crank on the Polygon is an epic fail. Would of been right up there by the looks with one small change.

And my old favorite, the Falco elite well sounds more like the reviewers couldn't get their size right to be honest which would of affected the review a lot I'd imagine. They are prob right that it is a little harsh on the ride but most alloy bikes are like that (and thats usually why you opt for a set of 25mm conti gp 4000s tyres to smooth it out a bit!). But I was a little surprised at the lowest mark.

Sent via Tapatalk so expect the odd typo and mis-posting!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:44 pm

Btw for $1100 I'd go for a Giant Defy 1 or 2 on sale. And thats not being a brand fanboy but rather its just a great bike and has been so for a number of years now.

Sent via Tapatalk so expect the odd typo and mis-posting!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

lobstermash

Re: Finally a comparison/review of the

Postby lobstermash » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:33 pm

rodneycc wrote: sounds more like the reviewers couldn't get their size right to be honest which would of affected the review a lot I'd imagine
Spot on. I also found it funny that they spent $200 on an upgraded wheelset, then rode it on $5 tyres.

The Lapa looks like a great bike. I really like Cell's new roadies.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have been put off by the triple on the Polygon. A 42t chainring is really nice for rolling terrain if you're lazy like me and don't like shifting rings all the time.