New cyclist needs advice on bike purchase under $2500

Vman69au

New cyclist needs advice on bike purchase under $2500

Postby Vman69au » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:24 pm

Hi all

I was hoping to pick your brains on what bike I should look at buying.

I have a budget of up to $2500

This is my first road bike. I used to mountain bike a fair bit but have not cycled in 7 years now.

I have decided to get back into cycling for fitness mostly and have set a goal of doing the 210km loop of Round the bay in Melbourne this year with some mates.

So I need to buy a bike and start training. I'm 189 cm. weight about 95kgs

I need advice on what sort of bike I should be looking into for that budget that is comfortable to ride for long distance.
Based on various calculators online I need a 60cm frame. Also sounds like I need an endurance / sportive style bike.

Love to hear your thoughts/ideas.

Thanks

reefer

Re: New cyclist needs advice on bike purchase under $2500

Postby reefer » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:34 pm

Not ridden in 7 years, going to train for a 210km ride this year (less than 8 months) :shock:
I suggest a bike with a motor :wink:

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Look at a Giant Defy Advanced 2. Giant offer excellent value for money. Defy Ad. 2 boasts relaxed geometry, is quite lightweight, suitably stiff and fitted with full Shimano 105.

Improve your bike fitness and this sort of bike will serve you well over longer distances.

You might find a 2013 model right on your budget or should be able to bargain down a 2014 model onto your budget price.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:39 pm

I'd have a look at a Focus Cayo.

jaythefordman

Postby jaythefordman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:24 pm

I am really enjoying my Azzuri Forza pro. I doubt you will get a Ultegra 6800 equipped bike for better value.

Vman69au

Postby Vman69au » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:35 pm

reefer wrote:Not ridden in 7 years, going to train for a 210km ride this year (less than 8 months) :shock:
Yeah I know ambitious goal. We will see closer to the time. Might have to do the 105 loop instead. I'm not unfit just not cycling fit. Did tough mudder recently with only 3 months training in about 3 hours.

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:37 pm

reefer wrote:Not ridden in 7 years, going to train for a 210km ride this year (less than 8 months) :shock:
Easily attainable in 8 months, even if he's 5 foot tall and 120kilos and has forgotten how to ride a bike. Just hurry up and buy a Scott.

Vman69au

Postby Vman69au » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:38 pm

jaythefordman wrote:I am really enjoying my Azzuri Forza pro. I doubt you will get a Ultegra 6800 equipped bike for better value.
I saw those on cycling express. They have an ultegra di2 model for 2999 which is tempting.

I have always been partial to giant bikes. The defy looks good. If I could find a defy advanced with Di2 for 3k or under it would be very tempting.

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:48 pm

Vman69au wrote:
jaythefordman wrote:I am really enjoying my Azzuri Forza pro. I doubt you will get a Ultegra 6800 equipped bike for better value.
I saw those on cycling express. They have an ultegra di2 model for 2999 which is tempting.

I have always been partial to giant bikes. The defy looks good. If I could find a defy advanced with Di2 for 3k or under it would be very tempting.
If you are looking for value for money, the cell omeo 1 or 2 is probably better.

Otherwise I would recommend the focus cayo evo 4, cannondale synapse carbon 5, or giant defy advanced 2.

jaythefordman

Postby jaythefordman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:35 pm

Homo Suburbiensis wrote:
Vman69au wrote:

If you are looking for value for money, the cell omeo 1 or 2 is probably better.

Otherwise I would recommend the focus cayo evo 4, cannondale synapse carbon 5, or giant defy advanced 2.
I looked very hard at the Omeo, they are brilliant value and well built, but would not have suited me due to their more aggressive geometry. The slightly more relaxed style of the Azzuri was definitely the better choice for me. Which way to go will be very much up to the OP. Either way you can't go wrong I feel.

I did also look at Giants, while nice, I found I was somewhat allergic to them since they are like bums, everyone has one :P

Vman69au

Postby Vman69au » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:08 pm

I looked very hard at the Omeo, they are brilliant value and well built, but would not have suited me due to their more aggressive geometry. The slightly more relaxed style of the Azzuri was definitely the better choice for me. Which way to go will be very much up to the OP. Either way you can't go wrong I feel.

I did also look at Giants, while nice, I found I was somewhat allergic to them since they are like bums, everyone has one :P
Thanks I will check out the Azzuri for sure. I read some reviews on the Omeo. Looks like awesome value but is a race frame with race geometry. The reviews say it's not well suited to long distance. Shame as the price point is brilliant for what you get.

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:27 pm

You could probably bung a few spacers under the stem to relax the layout.

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:58 pm

herzog wrote:You could probably bung a few spacers under the stem to relax the layout.
Other option is one could buy a bike that suits.

jaythefordman

Postby jaythefordman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:15 pm

The_Eggman wrote:
herzog wrote:You could probably bung a few spacers under the stem to relax the layout.
Other option is one could buy a bike that suits.
This.

herzog

Postby herzog » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:34 pm

The_Eggman wrote: Other option is one could buy a bike that suits.
Maybe, but if you're looking at one bike to do it all, you're better off going something with a lower front end.

You can relax things with spacers, riser stems and the like.

Going the other way is a lot more difficult...

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:55 pm

herzog wrote:
Maybe, but if you're looking at one bike to do it all, you're better off going something with a lower front end.

Where exactly did he say he wanted a single bike to do everything?

He wants an enduro bike

jaythefordman

Postby jaythefordman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:26 pm

The_Eggman wrote:
herzog wrote:

He wants an enduro bike
This is why I suggested the Azzuri as its a little more relaxed, and what he wanted. I may be wrong, but I think a lot of people err towards race type geometry because, well, that's what a road bike is. The reality is that most average riders would be equally (better) served by a more relaxed style as your body won't fight it so much for same result. If you want more aggressive, pull some spacers out, better that way.

My first road bike was a more aggressive geometry, bought following advice from others and lack of knowledge, and it wasn't want I needed or what suited me. It also couldn't be adjusted sufficiently to fit to what I needed. lesson learnt.

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:01 pm

I'm 192cm and have a couple of Giants... I can't see how you'd need a 60cm frame? But anyway that's by thy by.

I hadn't ridden for a while and got back into things a few years ago, bought a Defy to start with, good starting point before a TCR and Propel followed 18mths later. That said, still love the Defy! Just something about it.

At the time I was all but running a spreadsheet comparison chart and for me the Giant (or a Merida) were the best value for money.

Or you could just buy my two year old Defy and spend the extra pennies on kit and a garmin etc LOL

rjk

Postby rjk » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:07 pm

also look at the trek domane

or ride one and feel the difference
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

Vman69au

Postby Vman69au » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:36 pm

Carrots wrote:I'm 192cm and have a couple of Giants... I can't see how you'd need a 60cm frame? But anyway that's by thy by.

I hadn't ridden for a while and got back into things a few years ago, bought a Defy to start with, good starting point before a TCR and Propel followed 18mths later. That said, still love the Defy! Just something about it.

At the time I was all but running a spreadsheet comparison chart and for me the Giant (or a Merida) were the best value for money.

Or you could just buy my two year old Defy and spend the extra pennies on kit and a garmin etc LOL
Thanks. What size frame to you use on your defy ?

Vman69au

Postby Vman69au » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:40 pm

The_Eggman wrote:
herzog wrote:

He wants an enduro bike
True. I will never be entering races or anything like that. It's purely or fitness/fun and riding with mates. I'm 45 soon so the old bones won't tolerate with leaning over in full race geometry for long periods :)

Vman69au

Postby Vman69au » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:41 pm

rjk wrote:also look at the trek domane

or ride one and feel the difference
Ok thanks for advice I will try one.

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:25 am

Vman69au wrote:
Carrots wrote:I'm 192cm and have a couple of Giants... I can't see how you'd need a 60cm frame? But anyway that's by thy by.

Large on the Defy. M/L on the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaythefordman

Postby jaythefordman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Carrots wrote:
Vman69au wrote:

Large on the Defy. M/L on the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dunno how you do that. I'm 188cm tall albeit with long torso/arms, and I'm running a an XL Azzuri Forza (58cm top bar length), just right for me. Had a 56cm before which was too small and was way uncomfortable on rides >1hr. At 192cm I would swear you would be better off with a 58 or 60cm top length, but I guess each to their own

jemima

Postby jemima » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:20 pm

I'd also throw in the Felt Z series,
and if your more on the long legs/short torso type; the Focus Izalco Ergoride.