New cyclist needs advice on bike purchase under $2500

rodneycc

Re: New cyclist needs advice on bike purchase under $2500

Postby rodneycc » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:28 pm

There is a Focus Izalco Pro advertised on here for $1450 which besides being a bargain looks about your size. If you are in Vic check it out... Could be a great match with the ksyriums ideal for your weight also.

Sent via Tapatalk so expect the odd typo and mis-posting!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:00 pm

My two cents worth (from someone who has experience with both the Giant and the Cell)
I am 5o years old, 181 cm and 95 kg (to put it all in perspective)
My previous bike was a Giant Defy 2. It was the first "serious" road bike I had, I had not been riding at all when I bought it (around 3 years ago). It was a great bike, and helped me drop my weight from close to 120 kg to the 95 kg mark

When Cell brought out the Omeo, I bought an Omeo 2 the week before Christmas (I wanted to update to a carbon frame, and as a bit of a gadget guy I liked the idea of the DI2).

I was worried that it would be to aggressive a setup for me (I dont race) and went to Sydney and took one for a test run around the block a few times. Cell were helpfull in setting it up (to the point of advising against me raising the seat when I said I though it should go up another cm or 2 - they were right, I was wrong).

It felt a bit strange the first couple of rides, but after a fortnight (that included completing the Rapha festive 500) it just felt "right". After about a month I got the Giant out of the shed (I was selling it to a mate and wanted to make sure it was all OK before doing so), and it felt horrible. I felt like I was perched up on it like I was riding a Penny Farthing.

Four months and around 3000 km down the track, I couldnt be happier. I love my Omeo (or Oreo as my mates call it) and have had no problems with the more aggressive setup (although, I ride on the hoods 95% of the time, my fat gut still makes getting down into the drops uncomfortable)

Vman69au

Postby Vman69au » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:01 am

Newcastle Dave wrote:My two cents worth (from someone who has experience with both the Giant and the Cell)
I am 5o years old, 181 cm and 95 kg (to put it all in perspective)
My previous bike was a Giant Defy 2. It was the first "serious" road bike I had, I had not been riding at all when I bought it (around 3 years ago). It was a great bike, and helped me drop my weight from close to 120 kg to the 95 kg mark

When Cell brought out the Omeo, I bought an Omeo 2 the week before Christmas (I wanted to update to a carbon frame, and as a bit of a gadget guy I liked the idea of the DI2).

I was worried that it would be to aggressive a setup for me (I dont race) and went to Sydney and took one for a test run around the block a few times. Cell were helpfull in setting it up (to the point of advising against me raising the seat when I said I though it should go up another cm or 2 - they were right, I was wrong).

It felt a bit strange the first couple of rides, but after a fortnight (that included completing the Rapha festive 500) it just felt "right". After about a month I got the Giant out of the shed (I was selling it to a mate and wanted to make sure it was all OK before doing so), and it felt horrible. I felt like I was perched up on it like I was riding a Penny Farthing.

Four months and around 3000 km down the track, I couldnt be happier. I love my Omeo (or Oreo as my mates call it) and have had no problems with the more aggressive setup (although, I ride on the hoods 95% of the time, my fat gut still makes getting down into the drops uncomfortable)
Thanks for the tip. I might as well visit cell to see if if an test ride one and compare it to a giant myself.

addictrider

Postby addictrider » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:53 pm

100% with Eggman and jay. Get a bike that fits. Online will not do this. I can buy a bike online, I can also tell you all my bike setup measurements based on 14years of experience. Your not looking for a bike, your looking for LBS that asks you lots of relevant questions. Seeking info that then leads to you being professionally guided to a couple of frames that suit you physically and what you are wanting as priorities out of your budget.
PS you may need to try a few local shops before you find a professional bike seller. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vman69au

Postby Vman69au » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:36 pm

addictrider wrote:100% with Eggman and jay. Get a bike that fits. Online will not do this. I can buy a bike online, I can also tell you all my bike setup measurements based on 14years of experience. Your not looking for a bike, your looking for LBS that asks you lots of relevant questions. Seeking info that then leads to you being professionally guided to a couple of frames that suit you physically and what you are wanting as priorities out of your budget.
PS you may need to try a few local shops before you find a professional bike seller. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using
Thanks for good advice. So far my experience have been very underwhelming with lbs. I have now been into 4. All of them just wanted to sell me whatever they had in stock. No questions about intended purpose.one even tried to push the propel aero adv 1 giant bike on me. Damn fine looking bike I might add.

I tried an Azzuri Forza Pro, and Cell. I will ride a defy , Tcr and propel next week then make up my mind.

azzuri was a nice ride.

jaythefordman

Postby jaythefordman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:07 pm

Vman69au wrote:
addictrider wrote:100% with Eggman and jay. Get a bike that fits. Online will not do this. I can buy a bike online, I can also tell you all my bike setup measurements based on 14years of experience. Your not looking for a bike, your looking for LBS that asks you lots of relevant questions. Seeking info that then leads to you being professionally guided to a couple of frames that suit you physically and what you are wanting as priorities out of your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using
Thanks for good advice. So far my experience have been very underwhelming with lbs. I have now been into 4. All of them just wanted to sell me whatever they had in stock. No questions about intended purpose.one even tried to push the propel aero adv 1 giant bike on me. Damn fine looking bike I might add.

I tried an Azzuri Forza Pro, and Cell. I will ride a defy , Tcr and propel next week then make up my mind.

azzuri was a nice ride.
Yes, I had same experience with the LBS's is my area, really weren't interested in discussing anything beyond what they had in stock or helping me much in fit. Actually had decided on a Lapierre but they didn't have my size, when I called the price magically jumped up $300 because it wasn't a stock bike. Say What? At least at the end of it I got a fair idea on my size, geometry, and specs so online I went :)

Azzuri is a nice ride ;)

Yeah, check out the Giants and go from there. You're doing well.

The_Eggman

New cyclist needs advice on bike purchase under $2500

Postby The_Eggman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:56 am

Do some google searches on bikeradar and endurance bikes or sportive bikes. They have some reasonable reviews to enable you to get your own shortlist, then go and specifically try them at the LBS, don't just walk in seeking recommendations. Quality of LBS service fluctuates wildly.

FWIW I did a similar search (enduro road) and my bike shortlist included the Defy Advanced, Trek Domane, Cannondale Synapse and Focus Cayo. YMMV

Here's the decision making that led me to the Cayo. Few of the links to the reviews are in there http://backoffalls.blogspot.com.au/2014 ... d.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mickzo

Postby Mickzo » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:28 am

If you're in Vic & fancy a drive I suggest see Chris Steffanoni at angry butcher bikes in Sunbury. He also does bike fit and should be able to help you. I know they have the lapierre sensium which is a good bike.. I had one and they also have Merida. I have no affiliation with them but had great service and advice from Chris

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:24 am

You'll do yourself a massive disservice if you don't ride the Domane from Trek; you will have to defeat an enormous learning curve and saddletime is easier to achieve if your bum isn't still sore from the last time you rode. You can expect that 200kms to take 9-10 hours of riding. No one physically tolerates that in a couple of months of riding. The special seat post could really help. I ride a Madone right now and Domane is likely for my next bike.

spirro

Postby spirro » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:25 pm

Xplora wrote:You'll do yourself a massive disservice if you don't ride the Domane from Trek
How do these rate up against the Defy Advanced? I'm looking at the Domane 4.3 and the Defy Advanced 2.
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:48 pm

Go for a ride and decide; some like the decoupled seat post, some don't. I don't quite understand the issues with the Domane that Defy buyers have raised, but I also understand the goals and tradeoffs involved for the Domane. You can't physically have a razor sharp stiff bike and have reasonable saddle feel at the same time. :idea: Domane is trying to have a stiff frame but allows the seat post to flex to create the same levels of comfort you might get from a Defy, which will have a less stiff frame to achieve the same feeling.

Case in point - the Domane is a race bike, first and foremost. Is the Defy? Domane is aiming to transfer power despite road buzz, because you aren't losing saddle position. Comfort is a secondary benefit.

Sit on the bikes, have a ride, have a think about what roads you actually ride on. I have spent most of my time on smooth race tracks since December, not the Roubaix misery of my local roads. I'm not suffering on a Madone.

Vman69au

Postby Vman69au » Wed May 07, 2014 7:04 pm

Thanks to all those who responded.

Thought I would update. After testing a number of bikes. Azzuri, giant Tcr, defy,cell and trek I settled on a focus cayo evo 1. Cost a bit more than I planned. But ended up with ultegra di2 on a frame that's a Nice compromise between comfort and performance.

VinoVelodrome

Postby VinoVelodrome » Wed May 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Nice choice.

spirro

Postby spirro » Wed May 07, 2014 7:53 pm

Vman69au wrote:Thanks to all those who responded.

Thought I would update. After testing a number of bikes. Azzuri, giant Tcr, defy,cell and trek I settled on a focus cayo evo 1. Cost a bit more than I planned. But ended up with ultegra di2 on a frame that's a Nice compromise between comfort and performance.
Nice. I'm currently in the same position as you looking for an enduro bike around the $2k mark. The Cayo evo 2 is on my list, along with Giant, Trek and Avanti Cadent. Was it just a comfort thing or was there something more that stood out with the Cayo over the others?
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Thu May 08, 2014 9:43 am

spirro wrote:
Vman69au wrote:
Nice. I'm currently in the same position as you looking for an enduro bike around the $2k mark. The Cayo evo 2 is on my list, along with Giant, Trek and Avanti Cadent. Was it just a comfort thing or was there something more that stood out with the Cayo over the others?
I had a very similar shortlist and ended up on a Cayo.

FWIW I felt the Cayo handling was incredibly sharp. It felt a cut above. I also felt too upright on the Synapse and Domane, and thought that might frustrate me long term.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:00 am

The_Eggman wrote:
spirro wrote:
Vman69au wrote:
I had a very similar shortlist and ended up on a Cayo.

FWIW I felt the Cayo handling was incredibly sharp. It felt a cut above. I also felt too upright on the Synapse and Domane, and thought that might frustrate me long term.
I went through it as well and ended up on a cayo 4, just fit me better than the other bikes I tried. One thing I find odd is how they change the model numbers every year - one years cayo 2 is the component level of last years 4, but the year after its something else