Choosing a bike

Top_Bhoy

Choosing a bike

Postby Top_Bhoy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:28 am

Looking for advice on how to get around this conundrum?

Looking around, I can get a reasonable but not great spec'd bike at the bike shop which may require further changes (ie saddle/bar/stem - hence raising the cost), is neither inspirational or looks particularly good but the shop will provide fitting advice to deliver it in a correct size. On the other side, buying an online bike (which the shop cannot stock) from a sizing chart and a geometry chart will deliver an inspirational and well spec'd bike at a similar cost but may turn out to be an ill fitting size (it could also turn out to be the right size).

I value how the bike fits but within my budget constraints, how it looks and spec'd is also important otherwise it will always seem to be second best. I don't expect it for nothing hence if I have to pay for 1 hour of someones time to confirm my correct fit/frame then that's fine.

jaythefordman

Re: Choosing a bike

Postby jaythefordman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:Looking for advice on how to get around this conundrum?

Looking around, I can get a reasonable but not great spec'd bike at the bike shop which may require further changes (ie saddle/bar/stem - hence raising the cost), is neither inspirational or looks particularly good but the shop will provide fitting advice to deliver it in a correct size. On the other side, buying an online bike (which the shop cannot stock) from a sizing chart and a geometry chart will deliver an inspirational and well spec'd bike at a similar cost but may turn out to be an ill fitting size (it could also turn out to be the right size).

I value how the bike fits but within my budget constraints, how it looks and spec'd is also important otherwise it will always seem to be second best. I don't expect it for nothing hence if I have to pay for 1 hour of someones time to confirm my correct fit/frame then that's fine.
Yeah, I got stuck in that conundrum for a good while until I bit the bullet and did it anyway. I did have the advantage of having a bike that I was upgrading from so I had a basis from which I knew what I needed changing, but still I was in similar thinking as you find yourself. best thing I think is to go to some LBS's, ride a few bikes to get a feel for frame size/geometry, and from there you can judge where to buy. Fitting can come after because all you will be changing, if anything, will be little things like bar stems, seats, and maybe handlebars, all small stuff. This is what I did, worked out what frame size/geometry, then went online and bought what I felt was best deal.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:08 pm

Just be very careful about buying a bike unseen/untested/unsized-fitted. Its a gamble. I think I'd buy something off Gumtree before doing this (and have done so to great success where I could test ride it at least). I would at least go into a store and test ride the bike at the likes of Cell, Reid, Cycling Express before buying the particular bike online. I know this can be a major problem for those that do not have these stores locally but even taking a bit of a day trip into the City to one of these stores would be worth it (or combine it with your next holiday! :-) ). You will also likely have less hassle with setup issues buying it from a store if you are not particularly mechanically handy (i.e like me!).
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:22 am

It's called 'A Crisis Of Confidence' and since it is all in your mind there's not much we can do for you apart from suggesting you stand back, breathe deeply and perhaps bide your time for a while. Spend more time trying on different bikes and making a few notes about what you liked/didn't like. If you aim/fire now then you risk not enjoying what you get even it fits you perfectly and is a beautiful ride...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:44 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:It's called 'A Crisis Of Confidence' and since it is all in your mind there's not much we can do for you apart from suggesting you stand back, breathe deeply and perhaps bide your time for a while. Spend more time trying on different bikes and making a few notes about what you liked/didn't like. If you aim/fire now then you risk not enjoying what you get even it fits you perfectly and is a beautiful ride...
You're right...crisis of confidence. The geometry charts almost says yes but the brain can't imagine how the subtle changes in top tube length, seat tube length and seat tube angle from my current road bikes will affect the overall sizing and its complicated interaction with my short legs/long torso. I am pretty confident though that in 2 months I'll have worked it out/been advised and be the owner of a great new bike :)