Another wheelset thread- buy or build

CXCommuter

Another wheelset thread- buy or build

Postby CXCommuter » Sun May 18, 2014 6:49 pm

I have just purchased my fair weather commuter/ short blast bike- a TCR SLR1. Based on my own previous experiences and others the only thing that really needs upgrading is the wheelset (which will be used elsewhere). This will be done in several months once the funds have been released under the 2014-15 budget by SWMBO.

My budget is currently a set of Dura-ace C24s (~$850-900 online). I love these and tick most of my boxes.

The big question is this my best option or should I chase custom and hope for something similar/better for the same price point. FYI I am 67kg, strong for my weight and good at hills, I am also fairly hard on wheels. I am aiming for light ~1400g low profile wheels and want something that will hold up under semi regular riding. Although would prefer 20/24 or 24/24 spoked wheels
I get a bit turned off the process when I see decent hubs (DT etc) going for $400-500 a set straight up which doesn't leave much for spokes, rim and build. I will be talking to TWE in the future also to test the waters there.

Any options that may be worth chasing- I do have a decent wheel builder in mind if TWE is not chosen.

Also not interested in Fulcrum, Mavic, Easton etc. I do like the custom build as I can get a normal wheel built up- meaning non-propriety spokes.

trailgumby

Re: Another wheelset thread- buy or build

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 18, 2014 7:05 pm

The Pro-Lite Braccianos are well within 100g of your stated weight target. 20/24 spoke count, using J-spokes. You could get something similar from TWE for $800-900. The Braccianos were a lot less money.

robbo

Postby robbo » Sun May 18, 2014 7:42 pm

Talk to Josh (xlr8 wheels). He is on this forum and will build a great set of wheels that suit your needs.

He built 2 sets of wheels I have each with white industries t11 hubs.

They are excellent and they use commonly available components.

They were a similar cost to DA C24. I would recommend you contact him for some advice.

Rob

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun May 18, 2014 8:30 pm

trailgumby wrote:The Pro-Lite Braccianos are well within 100g of your stated weight target. 20/24 spoke count, using J-spokes. You could get something similar from TWE for $800-900. The Braccianos were a lot less money.
Trailgumby- I have two point five sets of braccianos (got a second hand set with a dead rear wheel)- love them to death literally- as noted in WA forum here re successful claim against WA Main Roads for long term cracks killing a rear wheel. I will be purchasing more in the future as direct replacement of my current braccianos if and when they die.

Looking at a wheelset the next level up from the Braccianos (or next level down in lightness).

Robbo- thanks for the heads up re XLR8- will throw Josh in the mix also

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:36 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
trailgumby wrote:The Pro-Lite Braccianos are well within 100g of your stated weight target. 20/24 spoke count, using J-spokes. You could get something similar from TWE for $800-900. The Braccianos were a lot less money.
Trailgumby- I have two point five sets of braccianos (got a second hand set with a dead rear wheel)- love them to death literally- as noted in WA forum here re successful claim against WA Main Roads for long term cracks killing a rear wheel. I will be purchasing more in the future as direct replacement of my current braccianos if and when they die.

Looking at a wheelset the next level up from the Braccianos (or next level down in lightness).

Robbo- thanks for the heads up re XLR8- will throw Josh in the mix also
If you like the Bracciano but are looking for something different then you might consider the Pro-Lite Gavia Volante.

On paper they aren't much lighter than the Pro-Lite Bracciano A27 - but - the weight distribution is quite different.

The Gavia hubs are heavy in comparison to the Bracciano and the rims are super light. As a result they accelerate very quickly and feel a lot lighter than they actually are.

They are also quite a unique looking wheel which appeals to some riders.

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/product ... elset.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun May 18, 2014 10:52 pm

I looked at building a wheelset as light as the Shimano Dura Ace C24s a little while ago. However, it couldn't be done for a lower price if you used similar quality hubs and sub-400 gram rims to match the C24s 385 grams. For a commuting wheelset I wouldn't go super light rim which rules out the Kinlin XR-200, Stans Alpha 340. The Kinlin XR19 is 405 grams and combined with Dura Ace hubs in 24f, 28r and Sapim CX-Ray spokes could get you a 1500 gram build.

wardie

Postby wardie » Mon May 19, 2014 8:01 am

robbo wrote:Talk to Josh (xlr8 wheels). He is on this forum and will build a great set of wheels that suit your needs.

He built 2 sets of wheels I have each with white industries t11 hubs.

They are excellent and they use commonly available components.

They were a similar cost to DA C24. I would recommend you contact him for some advice.

Rob

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
+1 to this. Josh built me a great set of road wheels and I'm planning on using his services again for a set of CX wheels.
Giant XTC 2

thejester

Postby thejester » Mon May 19, 2014 11:35 am

Maybe the Bracciano carbons
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

rjk

Postby rjk » Mon May 19, 2014 12:47 pm

I love my hed Ardennes plus wheelsetjust a little outside of your budget. 25mm wide 24.5 deep I can run lower pressures than most. They feel like tubulars but I run 25mm ultremo zx clinchers on them. Start reading the reviews

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm considering doing a Bracciano A27-SL version which will come in at 1410g.

I'm just not sure if people would want to pay the additional cost to save 72g over the standard model?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon May 19, 2014 9:12 pm

Thanks for all the replies- as I have a couple of months I have the time to research my final decision. The Gavias will be in the mix, as will custom White Industry T11s with suitable rims (say kinlins or similar). The HED Ardennes are my ultimate wheelset, but the price and availability here in Aus puts me off them. Of course the C24s will remain an option and if they are up for a sale I will jump on them.

The fact the Dura-Ace hubs don't come in anything less than 24h which puts me off them, 20h for the front wheel seems fine to me.

fingy

Postby fingy » Tue May 20, 2014 11:26 pm

CXCommuter wrote:The fact the Dura-Ace hubs don't come in anything less than 24h which puts me off them, 20h for the front wheel seems fine to me.
C24's are 20 spoke rear and 16 front, I ride 350-400km a week weigh 83kg and
have done 36,000km without issue on mine with more than half rim wear indicator
left on them.
At 1400g and so few spokes I had concerns about them being fragile but not now
if they broke tomorrow I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set.
I believe Dura ace has three year warranty too (maybe some one can confirm)
I know Shimano Aust won't warrant DA stuff bought online OS you have to take
your chances with Shimano Europe (food for thought)
tempting though with their cracker prices.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed May 21, 2014 8:23 am

Fingy- if you buy the hubset alone they don't come in less than 24h which sounds ridiculous to me. Looking at other options also (Fast Forward F2a- DT 240 hubs ~1450g for example)

rjk

Postby rjk » Wed May 21, 2014 12:02 pm

i know of quite a few who have bought the hed rims and had the wheels built up...another option
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Wed May 21, 2014 12:08 pm

HED Belgium Plus, White Industries (or Alchemy Orc-UL / Elf or Industry 9), CX-Ray.

Do it once, do it right.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu May 22, 2014 7:42 am

Blakeylonger wrote:HED Belgium Plus, White Industries (or Alchemy Orc-UL / Elf or Industry 9), CX-Ray.

Do it once, do it right.
Near perfect build for me except would go with standard HED Belgiums, they are plenty wide enough as I have to run 23s to fit into the frame/brakes, also the extra rotating mass not needed

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu May 22, 2014 9:22 am

Blakeylonger wrote:HED Belgium Plus, White Industries (or Alchemy Orc-UL / Elf or Industry 9), CX-Ray.

Do it once, do it right.
HED Belgium Plus do it for me too.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Wed May 28, 2014 7:22 am

Do it once, do it right.
Running the Belgium+ on CX bike now, they're awesome! I decided to give them a try as a powertap setup, no regrets.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed May 28, 2014 8:36 am

24/28
Archetype rims
WI hubs
Pillar bladed spokes

Keep it traditional.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 am

Thanks for the responses and ideas- will continue looking around at custom and factory made to add to the list. Have been advised I could go as low as 1330g safely, 18/24 spoked 24mm alloy rim for same price as internet DA 9000 C24s, could go lower but start losing stiffness. Can see custom means a wheelset built for me- factory wheels have to be built with safety margins on guys much bigger/stronger than I am hence for me overbuilt.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:55 am

Looking into rims at the moment for hand builts might even build them myself, LBS offered to assist with the final tweaks. (Yes I have built wheels before- just a long time ago)

Hubs - Dura-ace 9000 or White Industry T11 are within my budget (T11's prefered as they come in 20/24 hole)

Rims either Mavic Open Pros (LBS recommended), H+son Archetypes (my preferred budget wise) or HED belgiums (best option but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$- cannot justify double the cost of the archetypes), Velocity A23s (quality issues, not stiff) or Pacenti SL23 ($$$$, reviews not as good as archetypes), Kinlin XR270 / XR19W (cheaper- have rum XR380 with no issues- quality control?)

Most likely CX-Ray spokes (LBS to assist)

Charlesincharge

Postby Charlesincharge » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:34 pm

Im in the same boat, thinking custom build but not sure on CX-Ray vs DT comp spokes... thoughts?

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:41 pm

Same difference in my book
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:36 pm

Due to issues with finances (ie SWMBO), I am using a spare Bracciano front and have ordered a 24h Black H+son Archetype (HED's too exensive!!) and corresponding Hope Mono RS in red. Decisions between the Hope, WI T11 and CK was decided when I could get a hubset of WI or Hopes for less than the rear CK R45, then could only find 24h in the Hopes for a good price so they were the final outcome. Getting the LBS to build up the wheel (spokes/lacing TBD).

Front wheel to be built in a couple of months but currently have 1 month old bike upside down with no rear wheel!

marckietan

Postby marckietan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:06 am

hi mate, I am looking at a similar build. how did you go? At the moment, I am looking at Stans 400s with Dura ace hubs and targetting under 1400g.