Yet another newbie needing help with a new bike

jenjams

Yet another newbie needing help with a new bike

Postby jenjams » Thu May 29, 2014 7:42 am

Hi everyone. I am relatively new to the world of cycling. I purchased my first Roadie last August. I was on a very strict budget at the time so I ended up with a Jamis Ventura Sport with Sora. I have enjoyed it thus far. But I already know Sora is not enough for me! I have initially gotten the Roadie to help me on my Triathlon Quest. Now thinking of upgrading, I would love at least a bike that is relatively light weight and runs at least 105. I have a budget of $1500 max. I have found a Cannondale Caad10 that has Ultegra. 2012 standard model and not sure really how many true km the bike has done or the treatment the bike has been given (I am a newbie so getting on and riding is number one priority). So a little wary there. I have a bike friend point me in the way of Cell for value.
I guess the reason I ask here is for so much varying advice I get well and truly miffed. so... Go! I'm in Melbourne too and I know yes test ride what i see. But reviews and opinions help too.

silentbutdeadly

Re: Yet another newbie needing help with a new bike

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu May 29, 2014 11:29 am

How about a complete 105 groupset from Merlin Cycles http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105 ... 66608.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; coupled with a Shimano RS61 wheelset http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-rs6 ... 60807.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on the current frame for roughly $800?

That'll beat the spec of almost any new $1500 roadie you might come up with...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu May 29, 2014 1:46 pm

You are probably in the same price bracket as this guys thread...

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =9&t=75402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other bikes to look at is the cheap carbon ones at Cycling express or the Flight Podium 1 at Amart Sports

Edit: the cheap Flight Podium 1's sold out pretty quickly. Only the Podium 2s now which aren't quite as good.

http://www.amartsports.com.au/store/adu ... uctCreated" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or actually those Bianchi Impulso's for $899 at cycling express is a ripper deal that Dom found. Have a look in the Specials thread

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... start=2900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

jenjams

Postby jenjams » Thu May 29, 2014 4:58 pm

Thanks for the help.
Silentbutdeadly. I would have NO clue on how to change over the groupset on a bike and would it be even worth it to do it on my current frame?
RodneyCC. I am too tall for the AMart bikes. I looked at them whem the email first came out.

The Bianchi has a fair mix of different components. I "May" fit the sixe on offer.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:02 pm

If it were me currently looking and you don't NEED to buy something right now (eg - as long as you still have your current bike), id be holding off until August / September-ish for the run-out model clearances... In the meantime, do some research (reviews on stuff you are keen on, check for pricing between shops or even areas on Bike Exchange), try a few bikes out to see what fits and keep trying to save a bit more each week to add to the budget (even if not for the bike, for some nice shoes or kit or whatever to go with it!).

You'll find that the new models will start landing around August / September and as a result, the bigger shops will need to clear their (new) old stock to make way for the new stuff. Some shops might call it a Tour de France clearance, so keep an eye out.

I could be wrong (have no direct experience, I guess it just sounds logical), but I would imagine that bike stores dont sell massive amounts of stock in the winter and hopefully you'd pick up a good deal (pairing a clearance and a shop willing to cut a sharp deal to get things kicking off again coming into spring / summer).
You should be able to pick up something in Carbon with 105 components (or higher if you can stretch the $$ a little).

Failing that, keep an eye out on here and Gumtree for good second hand deals for other people selling their bikes to do the same (but at a higher level). Can normally grab something well specced and probably a much better bike than some of the cheaper offerings, but a couple years old for that kinda money too!

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri May 30, 2014 12:08 pm

^^ All good advice there. Maybe the Cell Brunswick Cyclocross bike might even be out by then as well which everyone has been waiting on (I suspect the hyped expections might kill that bike though).

jenjams

Postby jenjams » Fri May 30, 2014 4:38 pm

Some great advice thanks all. I guess I wanted to get a bike now because well I wanted it now! I have three 100km races coming up (including a half ironman) and just wanted better.

Perhaps I shall wait a month or so and see what is out there. Doesnt stop me wanting now though!

jenjams

Postby jenjams » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:59 pm

So I bought a bike... Well it's on laybuy. Rodneycc I may need some current info on the Podium 1. Specs and how it's going for you these days?

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:24 pm

Yeah the Flight Podium 1 is a nice bike. Its got full Ultegra 6700 (so brakes and all), pretty standard Deda stem and Bars, compact 34/50 cranks and Mavic Kysrium Equipe wheelset. Mine was a 54cm so it was this geo below (I haven't got any other sizes geo).

The only thing I have replaced on it were the tyres (because I hate Conti Ultra Race tyres) so I put some nice Schwalbe Durano Plus 25mm tyres on it (apparently Conti GP4000S tyres don't like Mavic Ksyrium rims so thats why I went the Duranos).

But yeah a really solid bike and really haven't had to touch it much in the 12months I've had mine (I've gone on to buy another bike since then but that isn't a reflection on the Flight but rather trying something a little different and an opportunity I couldn't refuse).

jenjams

Postby jenjams » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:18 am

Update: I finally picked my new bike up off laybuy the other day. So light (compared to what I am used to!) and I am yet to take it out on the road.
Thanks for the info Rodney. I will take the tyre advice on board.
One thing I am slightly annoyed with was the seatpost. As a newbie I automatically assumed it would have a nice and rounded post but no. There is this big flat thing that I cannot possibly replace. I had purchased an aero system from redshift sports to help with triathlons. The seatpost will not fit so I have to try and sell it! Grrrr
I dont want to take the bike out to get dirty :)

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:56 am

Congrats mate, hope it does you well. I wouldn't be too fussed about the seat post. Those Oval ones or the integrated ones are all the rage nowdays. Sone aero thing I guess that someone else might be able to enlightened us on. But does the job and is one nice quick bike. Btw if the seat is a selle italia x1 flow plus like mine it took about a month to settle in. Wasnt sure if it was me or the seat so give it a month and if you still aren't happy try another.