Bicycle Repair Stand

Dhutchy

Re: Bicycle Repair Stand

Postby Dhutchy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi Everyone, I am about to order a repair stand for gear maintenance and cleaning. My preference is for one which does not require removing front tyre, but is sturdy and flexible enough for my hybrid and three mountain bikes of varying sizes .
The nominees are:
Confidence Bike Repair Stand http://www.oo.com.au/Confidence-Home-Me ... #p_reviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Park Tools PC 10 http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/P9W ... vAodFUEAJA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Park Tools seems more pro, but the price difference is significant, so I hoping you guys can help me choose.

Rgds
Dhutchy

denwol

Postby denwol » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:06 pm

Ive got one similiar to the first one from letour: Bike Stand

Cost $50 inc delivery and works well. Sturdy enough for both road and mtb.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:09 pm

I've got the confidence stand. Use it for just maintenance and cleaning. Does the job well. I cut the toes off some socks and slapped them over the the clamp but that's just me being cautious.
Don't know how it would go with more hardcore job but just cleaning it does the job great

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:38 pm

Dhutchy wrote:Hi Everyone, I am about to order a repair stand for gear maintenance and cleaning. My preference is for one which does not require removing front tyre, but is sturdy and flexible enough for my hybrid and three mountain bikes of varying sizes .
The nominees are:
Confidence Bike Repair Stand http://www.oo.com.au/Confidence-Home-Me ... #p_reviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Park Tools PC 10 http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/P9W ... vAodFUEAJA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Park Tools seems more pro, but the price difference is significant, so I hoping you guys can help me choose.

Rgds
Dhutchy
Confidence looks identical to my aldi one, except for the quick release on the frame clamp (and colour). works OK, didn't cost much and as mentioned above it does tend to rotate/droop the bike clamp unless your bike is balanced. Mine now has a few holes that I slip an Allen key into to stop the unwanted droop.
A big amount of dollars extra for the park tools stand, which I don't think I could justify but I'd imagine it holds the bike a little better.
The better option for more difficult work (eg bottom bracket removal) for me is to use the tacx stand pictured a few posts back. It is a lot more stable but a wheel needs to come off and it's harder to spin around.
For a quick/easy job I usually use the aldi (confidence) stand as i don't need to remove a wheel and it's 'good enough' for some stuff
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

pete@BNA

Postby pete@BNA » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:10 pm

denwol wrote:Ive got one similiar to the first one from letour: Bike Stand

Cost $50 inc delivery and works well. Sturdy enough for both road and mtb.
How did you get it for $50 delivered? Whenever I try it wants to charge ~$40 for delivery...

denwol

Postby denwol » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:56 am

Free delivery for orders over $50. I bought something small with it. Maybe the free delivery kicked in then.

Dhutchy

Postby Dhutchy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:44 pm

Thanks very much Bychosis, Pete@BNA and Denwol...I am probably going to spend the extra bucks, because almost every time I choose the bargain basement price I get bargain basement quality. Thanks for the feedback and this is a great forum BNA
Dhutchy

pete@BNA

Postby pete@BNA » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:47 pm

denwol wrote:Free delivery for orders over $50. I bought something small with it. Maybe the free delivery kicked in then.
Great just ordered one by adding a tube I needed. I'm sure I'll learn the lesson the hard way but I'm cheap and coudln't be bothered waiting around for the Aldi one so snapped up one of these...

pete@BNA

Postby pete@BNA » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:54 pm

Dhutchy wrote:Thanks very much Bychosis, Pete@BNA and Denwol...I am probably going to spend the extra bucks, because almost every time I choose the bargain basement price I get bargain basement quality. Thanks for the feedback and this is a great forum BNA
Dhutchy
That Park PRS20 would be the way to go if your finances could extend that far...

plasmapuff

Postby plasmapuff » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Thoughts about this as a workstand?
http://letour.com.au/workshop/workstand ... stand.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;