Best MTB suggestion for single track...advice for buying new

dudleygb

Best MTB suggestion for single track...advice for buying new

Postby dudleygb » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:23 pm

Turns out my wife is really getting into single track. She used to ride horses but since that is more expensive she decided to give MTB a try. Road is way too boring, the technical aspects of offroad and single track seems to have her interest.

I got around $800. I know its not much but could I please get some suggestions.
Maybe some of you out there have recently researched what I'm looking for by chance, could save me some time.
I got a 29er and I love it but shes a bit weary of the larger bike feel. She is however 1.95m tall so I thought a 29er would be a good choice. But since she is really keen on single track, perhaps another type of MTB would suite that style of MTB better?

Its also possible some of this has previously been discussed and I appreciate that, but things seems to change so quick I'm sure there's better designed stuff nowadays etc.

Completely open to discussion, thoughts and ideas. Appreciate the contributions in advance and to learn from seasoned riders in this area.
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

mitzikatzi

Re: Best MTB suggestion for single track...advice for buying

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:41 am

GLW = 1.95m tall. That would explain why she wanted handlebars wider than 580mm.
Yes a 29er would be a good choice.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:12 am

For your budget...I would suggest a hardtail 27.5 or 29er. And to be honest...as a rider of 29ers...if the missus wants to work the technical stuff then I'd pitch towards the 27.5...especially at your end of the budget foodchain. The shorter wheelbase and shorter chainstays helps with manoeuvrability in tight and technical stuff.

If I lived anywhere close to the Great Divide then I'd probably shift that way myself but out here in the Great Wide Open...the 29er is a go.

Things like Giant Talon, Merida Big 7 (or the Juliet), Polygon Xstrada, Norco Storm, Haro Flightline, Felt 780, Apollo Aspire etc are all in budget. Bear in mind that none are particularly sophisticated in the fork & wheel department to really chew over singletrack. But they are all a great place to start...and if you wanted the value king then the Giant Talon is the go.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:45 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:GLW = 1.95m tall. That would explain why she wanted handlebars wider than 580mm.
hehe, sorry, she is 6ft, 1.83m, my apologies. Still tall though :)
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:44 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:For your budget...I would suggest a hardtail 27.5 or 29er. And to be honest...as a rider of 29ers...if the missus wants to work the technical stuff then I'd pitch towards the 27.5...especially at your end of the budget foodchain. The shorter wheelbase and shorter chainstays helps with manoeuvrability in tight and technical stuff.

If I lived anywhere close to the Great Divide then I'd probably shift that way myself but out here in the Great Wide Open...the 29er is a go.

Things like Giant Talon, Merida Big 7 (or the Juliet), Polygon Xstrada, Norco Storm, Haro Flightline, Felt 780, Apollo Aspire etc are all in budget. Bear in mind that none are particularly sophisticated in the fork & wheel department to really chew over singletrack. But they are all a great place to start...and if you wanted the value king then the Giant Talon is the go.
thx for that. I got the Polygon CX3 for myself a little while ago, and its got fairly decent componentry. If I had a bit more money what would you recommend for a good single track bike? Maybe I get the new one and give the wife my one. She likes the feel of it anyways.
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:09 pm

dudleygb wrote:If I had a bit more money what would you recommend for a good single track bike?
How long is a piece of string? :wink:

Basically target anything that fits the rider in question AND has short stays, steep-ish head angles, decent driveline (Deore or X7 and up) and decent fork (RS Recon or Fox and up). Leave a bit extra in the kitty for decent wheels and some cockpit adjustments.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:00 pm

dudleygb wrote:
mitzikatzi wrote:GLW = 1.95m tall. That would explain why she wanted handlebars wider than 580mm.
hehe, sorry, she is 6ft, 1.83m, my apologies. Still tall though :)
Calm down, basketball scouts!

$800 puts her only in hardtail territory, BTW.

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:28 pm

since i already find polygon fairly good, I thought this might be a good option for my wife. Just not so sure on the shock though, I got a RockShox xc32 and its awesome, especially since you can pump it to fit your weight.
does anyone know if the fork on the cx2 can be hardened?

http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polygo ... ano-deore/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:12 am

Fork is functional but not fabulous. Rest of the spec is pretty good though.

The Suntour fork can be tweaked to a certain degree but it isn't an air fork so adjusting the sag is not that exact. To be honest, the forks on both this bike is probably the bikes greatest limiting factor (after the the rider of course). I note a sub $200 price on 2103 RS Recon Silver forks at c r c at the moment...and these are a slight step-up on your XC32's.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:26 am

Get her what you have. Don't make my mistake and cheap out. Pay attention to getting a good saddle and a pair of knicks.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:34 pm

The Polygon is probably a good bike. It has some good bits drive train and brakes (for price) as usual the wheels are so so. The fork will work but will not be super durable as it has plastic seals. Suntour XCR are often the cheapest fork recommended that actually works (on MTBR). When the GLW wears it out just upgrade it then.

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:01 pm

appreciate all the responses, excellent points once again, thank you
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:30 pm

what you guys think of this one? Decent fork for the money too.

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2014- ... /GAL-DEO14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:40 am

Looks very good for the dough.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:05 pm

Its a good spec for the dollars but the same caveats apply to this as they did for the Polygon.

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:28 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:Its a good spec for the dollars but the same caveats apply to this as they did for the Polygon.
yeah u right, those shocks are also crappy.

if I were to get that recon fork and fit it to that HASA or Polygon, what other parts are needed? Do I need anything else to make it all work and fit?
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:34 pm

You'll probably need a new headset if the new fork has a tapered steerer. Otherwise, nothing. Trick is to do nothing until you have a bike in front of you...and a plan.

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:39 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:You'll probably need a new headset if the new fork has a tapered steerer. Otherwise, nothing. Trick is to do nothing until you have a bike in front of you...and a plan.
Problem is, c r c take forever to deliver, so if I just get the fork and need a new headset, its another 3 week wait till it arrives.

seems like it is tapered, I see the word tapered all over the specs --> http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/r ... r-tk#specs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could you recommend a headset please?
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:45 pm

Not without knowing the internal diameter of the headtube. Or the headset type in the bike at the moment.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:50 pm

A Turn Key Recon Silver fork is still not a very good fork.
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod71593" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod112969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod71590" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to MTBR these Manitou Tower forks are the go. Cheap at that price too.

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:53 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:Not without knowing the internal diameter of the headtube. Or the headset type in the bike at the moment.
Do I need to disassemble to find that out? Or something I can measure. I should probably go study up. I just want to try snag the parts while c r c still have their sale on. I can go check on my bike as a case study. The Silver is definitely going on my CX3 though. What am I looking for? I may as well give it a go, no time like the present.
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:59 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:A Turn Key Recon Silver fork is still not a very good fork.
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod71593" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod112969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod71590" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to MTBR these Manitou Tower forks are the go. Cheap at that price too.
These do look awesome, just for an extra +-120
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:11 pm

I know $120 is a lot of money but they are very good forks.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:25 pm

dudleygb wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:Not without knowing the internal diameter of the headtube. Or the headset type in the bike at the moment.
Do I need to disassemble to find that out? Or something I can measure. I should probably go study up. I just want to try snag the parts while c r c still have their sale on. I can go check on my bike as a case study. The Silver is definitely going on my CX3 though. What am I looking for? I may as well give it a go, no time like the present.
have a look at the hope technical guide for headsets on http://www.hopetech.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it'll show you what to look for

the manitou forks are good but it might be worth considering whether they have local parts support. agree that even recon silver are not that smashing a fork but having owned one and knowingly abused it and serviced it using locally sourced parts...its not a bad place to start.

these days I'd not stump for less than an x-fusion trace or something north of RS SID. Not so keen on Fox from a value perspective but they do work well. that said the last MTB fork I bought was a rigid carbon thing!

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:25 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:I know $120 is a lot of money but they are very good forks.
no, i wasnt being sarcastic :) Sorry if it seemed like that. I think people spend more on chocolate in a year :)
Still, yes, it is a lot of money, but still a great price, and a further 10percent off
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0