giro air attack, when will it hit Oz shores?

m@

Re: giro air attack, when will it hit Oz shores?

Postby m@ » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:30 am

Xplora wrote:...but you can guarantee that unapproved helmet use doesn't impact on your court case if it ever happens. :idea:
Ignoring the double negative - without giving a precedent where that's actually even been raised in court - let alone upheld - this is the very definition of an urban myth!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:43 pm

Here is my understanding of the court process.

You present a case.
Your opponent presents a case.
Another person makes a decision, guided by precedent.

You have no guarantees that the decision will be found in your favour. You have no guarantees that mitigating factors will be relevant or irrelevant to the decision.

A helmet with the approved sticker is legally required for a lot of cycling. Let's not give some scumbag an excuse to get out of any of your damages claim.

There is no urban myth around this - there have been a couple cases in the UK recently where the lack of helmet use (even though it wasn't legally required) has impacted on a damages claim in court. high tea has linked to them in the MHL thread a couple times. Australia takes some influence from the English, Canadian and NZ courts. I'm not saying the result was good - I'm suggesting that we CAREFULLY consider a decision to ignore the helmet laws and standards by using a helmet which has failed to meet the requirements of the law, because it might influence a court decision against you.

Hands up who wants to be the first to lose a part of their compensation payout because they picked an aero helmet that wasn't approved by Australian testing standards?

(There is a difference between saying something will happen, to saying something could happen. Risk is a bitch like that)

softy

Postby softy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:41 am

I checked out the new kask infinity.
As usual from kask a very comfy helmet, look good, almost no holes when the vent is shut off, was very keen to buy although the price did stop me putting my hand in my pocket. One shop $399, another $379.

When I have saved a few pennies might go back an haggle for this beauty! 8)

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:42 pm

A quick note to say I got a reply from a Giro supplier in Aus re: certification...

"Hi
Good news!
Air Attack has finally passed AS/NZS 2063 certification testing.
We will have the Air Attack shield model in stock around Mid-January.
We won’t be ranging the non-shield version in Australia"

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:15 pm

So you can ONLY get the shield version? Shield version is gay for road racing alright in a TT. I do like the Kasks great look and more aero than the Attacks

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:53 pm

The shield pops off instantly, it is attached by magnets.

softy

Postby softy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:33 pm

I gave up on giro, almost two years behind the rest of the world.

Apparently rumour has it they had trouble getting it passed. I have bought a kask bambino and a kask infinity, over the last two years of frustration waiting for this product.

Both the kask helmets fit my needs, the bambino also has magnets. The infinity is really impressing me for a all round performance, lovely helmet!

The bambino is the best winter helmet, impressive in colder rainy weather.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Good to hear it has finally gotten through, but I fear it is too little, too late. The Synthe is supposed to be better in real world conditions?

softy

Postby softy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:30 pm

Xplora wrote:Here is my understanding of the court process.

You present a case.
Your opponent presents a case.
Another person makes a decision, guided by precedent.

You have no guarantees that the decision will be found in your favour. You have no guarantees that mitigating factors will be relevant or irrelevant to the decision.

A helmet with the approved sticker is legally required for a lot of cycling. Let's not give some scumbag an excuse to get out of any of your damages claim.

There is no urban myth around this - there have been a couple cases in the UK recently where the lack of helmet use (even though it wasn't legally required) has impacted on a damages claim in court. high tea has linked to them in the MHL thread a couple times. Australia takes some influence from the English, Canadian and NZ courts. I'm not saying the result was good - I'm suggesting that we CAREFULLY consider a decision to ignore the helmet laws and standards by using a helmet which has failed to meet the requirements of the law, because it might influence a court decision against you.

Hands up who wants to be the first to lose a part of their compensation payout because they picked an aero helmet that wasn't approved by Australian testing standards?

(There is a difference between saying something will happen, to saying something could happen. Risk is a bitch like that)
Agree completely, one thing people don't understand is if a helmet is being worn and it has not got a AS sticker saying it has passed the apropiate standard, you are deemed to not be wearing a helmet, it is seen the same as a hat. Therefore you are illegally on the road.

Grim

Postby Grim » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:13 am

Giro Air Attack Shield is now available, Cecil Walker in Melbourne CBD and Port Melbourne Cycles stock the White, Black and Black/Red/Blue, price at PMC is $286. AS/NZ certified, price quote from CW was $360, don't know if they will match PMC price.

Cheers

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanks man, spotted on bikeexchange too.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:08 pm

c r c are having a warehouse sale on the 2014 stock. $200 delivered currently

obviously without the As/Nz cert sticker