giro air attack, when will it hit Oz shores?

softy

giro air attack, when will it hit Oz shores?

Postby softy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:14 am

This little beastie has been out overseas for around 18 months, but haven't heard a whisper through the media if it will or will not be released in Oz.

Anyone know?

If going to be released here, if so, when, is there a date?

This is what having unique testing does, limits availability and selection. Can't buy a helmet from a major manufacture in Australia.

Any feedback would be appreciated?

Xplora

Re: giro air attack, when will it hit Oz shores?

Postby Xplora » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:35 pm

I think you've got your answer, big guy. The number of helmets that pass the Snell standards and fail the AU standards are very very small. I've concluded if it doesn't pass muster almost immediately, it's not going to happen.

softy

Postby softy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:23 pm

Xplora wrote:I think you've got your answer, big guy. The number of helmets that pass the Snell standards and fail the AU standards are very very small. I've concluded if it doesn't pass muster almost immediately, it's not going to happen.
Cheers for the feedback.

Was hoping that wasn't the case, have heard through the grapevine it had problems passing. Was hoping it wasn't true. Did have my heart set on this product.

Well might have to cross it off my wishlist :(

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:09 pm

Spesh Evade is just as good, or Kask Bambino if you're selling body parts on the black market for a living. There are a lot of options now! Just remember you need the aero booties and the skinsuit to finish the look. ;)

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:06 am

See plenty of them around, bought online and even ones with Australian Standard stickers in them....... :shock:

softy

Postby softy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:54 am

nailsaslegs wrote:See plenty of them around, bought online and even ones with Australian Standard stickers in them....... :shock:
Someone must be "steaming" stickers off! Is this a artform?

Im surprised as many online bike shops will not sell to oz.

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:55 am

Ebay...... ;)

Even commissaire haven't realized you cant buy the Air Attacks in Aus....

softy

Postby softy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:04 am

I've heard it is quite expensive to get the helmets tested and every batch needs a repeat.

Would be interesting to know why it failed? The dangers this helmet has compared to ones that have passed.
But I suppose giro wouldn't like this info getting out world wide. :shock:

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:24 am

I was also eagerly awaiting the arrival of this helmet. As much for the aero as for the visor. I have a very low front due to my height on the track and the visor was very attractive as I look through the top of my sunglasses frame when down in the drops on road and track. In the meanwhile, the Spec Evade has apparently trumped the Giro without a visor for aero if you read through the tri discussions on the interwebs. There's also plenty of other options from other companies now. I since turned my attention to the Kask Bambino, as also mentioned above, for the same reasons I was looking at the Giro with the visor. You can get last year's model bambino for not a lot more than the Giro was going to be selling at as long as the medium size fits. I need a large, and while there appear to be plenty of large Bambinos available OS, they don't seem to be bringing any into Aust???

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:12 am

nailsaslegs wrote:
Even commissaire haven't realized you cant buy the Air Attacks in Aus....
Maybe YOUR commissaire hasn't, but mine DOES. Road racing requires an AU legal helmet. Track, doesn't matter - not a road related area.

The Air Attack is so unusual that it will attract attention. I would concerned about any lid that fails the AU test, it's not very hard to pass.

softy

Postby softy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:13 am

brawlo wrote:I was also eagerly awaiting the arrival of this helmet. As much for the aero as for the visor. I have a very low front due to my height on the track and the visor was very attractive as I look through the top of my sunglasses frame when down in the drops on road and track. In the meanwhile, the Spec Evade has apparently trumped the Giro without a visor for aero if you read through the tri discussions on the interwebs. There's also plenty of other options from other companies now. I since turned my attention to the Kask Bambino, as also mentioned above, for the same reasons I was looking at the Giro with the visor. You can get last year's model bambino for not a lot more than the Giro was going to be selling at as long as the medium size fits. I need a large, and while there appear to be plenty of large Bambinos available OS, they don't seem to be bringing any into Aust???
I have to abmit here I'm not buying this helmet for the aero features mostly.

I already have the bambino, excellent helmet for the winter months and so comfortable. No matter how cold it gets here in perth no beenie or under garment is required to keep your head warm with this helmet.

Why do I buy these sort of helmets?
1. I'm allergic to bees, and with my summer kask mojito helmet I have had bees land and stay near the vents to hitch a ride. For me this is really scary, so don't like hemets with holes. I am also fair skined and get sunburn easy through the vents in the summer months. With this helmet I wear a bandana under but is hot and sweat develops quickly on a ride. For summer I tolerate the possibility of bees as to wear the bambino in summer is just too hot!
2. The bambino makes me feel more comfortable as has no holes, so if I see a bee coming I duck my head and I know it can't get through the helmet. Plus it has a visor which I like as I also look over my glasses.
3. So I was looking for a helmet that had limited vents (no bees or sunburn) for the shoulder months, as the bambino is just to hot!

The giro air attack shield appeared to be a perfect solution. Minimal vents, visor, but probably not as hot as the bambino.
But alas not available :(

Anyone know of something that may fit this quirky bill?
Cheers

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:35 am

My last helmet was a Spiuk that came with an insect mesh/net insert that would cover your bee deal, but not so much the sunburn factor. I in fact had a bee hit me in the head while wearing that one, and it was a ummmm interesting thing to hear it buzzing about in the helmet, but I at least knew it wouldn't sting me. There's a couple of helmets around that can come with a similar option, although I can't think of them now.

Have you tried the skull cap options vs your bandanna? A couple of fair skinned shaven/bald folk that ride in my club swear by the Castelli skull cap even on hot days.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:44 am

I wonder if the Bambino experience has shaped your views re: MHL, softy? I noticed my head getting a lot cooler with a Bontrager Oracle coming from my cheap and cheerful, but I also wear a bandanna constantly to stop excessive sweat issues on rainy days.

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:11 pm

Xplora wrote:
nailsaslegs wrote:

Maybe YOUR commissaire hasn't, but mine DOES.
Same Comm that does NRS, same Comm that didn't know RTS shifters aren't supposed to go downward like DA levers on a TT bike at a Stat TT Championship. They aren't all that smart and THEIR interpretation of the rules varies......

But hey if you can get away wearing an Attack why not. :D

softy

Postby softy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:18 pm

Xplora wrote:I wonder if the Bambino experience has shaped your views re: MHL, softy? I noticed my head getting a lot cooler with a Bontrager Oracle coming from my cheap and cheerful, but I also wear a bandanna constantly to stop excessive sweat issues on rainy days.
Thanks for the suggestions will check these out. Have even tried looking at non aero retro style helmets but it is amazing how a number are not endorsed here in australia.
The bambino is at fantastic helmet and would still wear it in the winter months regardless of MHL.

MHL laws are a seperate issue, im primarily against over regulation in our community. It restricts are freedom of choice. I do agree design of cars, crumple zones, etc have shown to be very effective in significantly reducing motor vehicle injuries and death. Bicycle helmets, well...... better read the dedicated thread.

:)

softy

Postby softy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:45 pm

brawlo wrote:My last helmet was a Spiuk that came with an insect mesh/net insert that would cover your bee deal, but not so much the sunburn factor. I in fact had a bee hit me in the head while wearing that one, and it was a ummmm interesting thing to hear it buzzing about in the helmet, but I at least knew it wouldn't sting me. There's a couple of helmets around that can come with a similar option, although I can't think of them now.

Have you tried the skull cap options vs your bandanna? A couple of fair skinned shaven/bald folk that ride in my club swear by the Castelli skull cap even on hot days.
Just checked out the skull cap on wiggle, looks cool, might have to try one these when it warms up.
Cheers

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:53 pm

Regularly see a bloke on a Propel getting around in one on beach rd. If I ever manage to keep up with him for long enough I'll ask him where he got it.

edsa

Postby edsa » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:50 pm

softy wrote: 3. So I was looking for a helmet that had limited vents (no bees or sunburn) for the shoulder months, as the bambino is just to hot!

The giro air attack shield appeared to be a perfect solution. Minimal vents, visor, but probably not as hot as the bambino.
But alas not available :(

Anyone know of something that may fit this quirky bill?
Cheers
Not quite so perfect but the Kask Infinity is starting to show up in lbs's. Adjustable top vent. but no visor tho. http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/06/kask- ... et-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A cheaper no-vent/limited vent but no visor option is the limar velov https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/LR ... lov-helmet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:50 pm

danny the boy wrote:Regularly see a bloke on a Propel getting around in one on beach rd. If I ever manage to keep up with him for long enough I'll ask him where he got it.
Ive seen a guy on the M7 wearing one (riding an S-works Venge if I remember right) Heaps of others are wearing the S-works Evade for riding along the cycleway at high speed.
Air Attack seems like the best of all those aero helmets, shame it isn't here yet.

Bambino I did get to try - it's indeed very comfortable and it was lovely to wear in cold weather.
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:58 pm

Shame it can't pass the SAI test, more like it :shock:

edsa

Postby edsa » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:43 pm

c r c seems to be willing to sell to oz
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod115177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:49 pm

edsa wrote:c r c seems to be willing to sell to oz
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod115177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very bad idea. Helmets aren't a very solution to the head things at speed problem, and if you end up losing half a million bucks because of contributory negligence by having an illegal hemet, you'll realise that it's somewhat silly to bother with an unapproved helmet.

That's the key issue here. A helmet won't stop you becoming a vegetable, but the wrong one could reduce your compensation even if the other person caused the accident. Just get an Evade, or even that new Synthe looks good too.

softy

Postby softy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:16 pm

Xplora wrote:
edsa wrote:c r c seems to be willing to sell to oz
Very bad idea. Helmets aren't a very solution to the head things at speed problem, and if you end up losing half a million bucks because of contributory negligence by having an illegal hemet, you'll realise that it's somewhat silly to bother with an unapproved helmet.

That's the key issue here. A helmet won't stop you becoming a vegetable, but the wrong one could reduce your compensation even if the other person caused the accident. Just get an Evade, or even that new Synthe looks good too.
Agreed,
This is why I have been waiting 12 month, but now seems a waste of time.
This goes for any other items on your bike. I try to keep mine as road legal as practicable, not because im afraid of a fine, but a potioning blame in a accident. If your bike is not road worthy or a "legal" vehicle and the other person involved in the accident has a clever lawyer, your compensation could be reduced due to the fact you should of not been on the road.

Like kask helmets (have two) so may give the infinity a look as it has popped up its head locally. :)

bomber

Postby bomber » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:07 am

Xplora wrote:losing half a million bucks because of contributory negligence by having an illegal hemet
I'm not sure we should be pushing this urban myth any further than it already has been....

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:50 am

bomber, it's a random huge number for hyberbole to illustrate how important it is to have an approved helmet - I am anti helmet law, and relatively anti helmet in general, but the fact remains that if the court finds that you contributed 20% to your brain death because of a lack of approved helmet use (despite the fact that the driver was 100% at fault, and did it intentionally), your 2.5 million dollar payout could be 2 million instead. Your family might actually NEED that full 2.5 million dollars... I don't know. (are you in the USA? Australian courts have a completely different approach to negligence torts - it's an Australian forum, most members need to know about the way the Australian legal system works)

I do know that courts make bad decisions, that our laws aren't perfect, and that it is deeply irresponsible to let people remain ignorant to the way our courts work. Negligence payouts have to be fought for. We've got a member on this board who has been fighting a simple open and shut case of driver aggression without any fault of the rider for 3 years.

Let's not try and brush this stuff under the carpet as urban myth. You cannot guarantee you will be safe, you cannot guarantee the helmet will do anything, but you can guarantee that unapproved helmet use doesn't impact on your court case if it ever happens. :idea: