best pedals for a clumsy person

thecaptn

Re: best pedals for a clumsy person

Postby thecaptn » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:24 am

Who would have thought that a thead about pedals could become so contentious?

tron07

Postby tron07 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Had a fall or a clip-stack (new term I learn from this thread), was practising or playing about at an empty road with the new bike. Never had this problem cycling on a stationery bike at the GYM :P

Anyway, I think I will remove the clip straps from the pedals until I am comfortable riding the bike or perhaps get some clip-less pedals and cleats. Since I not doing any long distance ride, I think it shouldn't really be a big issue riding on the normal pedals.

Where would be the best place to buy these stuffs anyway? Pedals online and shoes from LBS?

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:10 pm

Welcome club clipstack ;)

Yeah, straps are a bit dangerous on the road. Those single-strap jobs that don't need to be tightened are ok, but for the price you may as well go clipless IMO...
tron07 wrote:Where would be the best place to buy these stuffs anyway? Pedals online and shoes from LBS?
Nailed it. Good approach.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

fishguy23

Postby fishguy23 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:16 pm

Well had a bad clipstack today. The only way any more dignity could have been lost, would have been if I was wearing crocs at the time.

Misjudged the height of a curb at a set of traffic lights and went a over t, as the pedal collected it as I went to disengage the pedal.

So now I have a scrape through the "gelcoat" through to the carbon. Should I put a clear coat of some kind over it?

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:30 pm

fishguy23 wrote:Well had a bad clipstack today. The only way any more dignity could have been lost, would have been if I was wearing crocs at the time.

Misjudged the height of a curb at a set of traffic lights and went a over t, as the pedal collected it as I went to disengage the pedal.

So now I have a scrape through the "gelcoat" through to the carbon. Should I put a clear coat of some kind over it?

Postby outnabike » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:31 am
Hi fishguy23,
I reckon all these click in pedals are a Japanese trick to sell band aids and knee pads. :)
Print this out and read it every time you have a clip stack.....really. :)

And you thought I was joking? :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:16 pm

outnabike wrote: Re: best pedals for a clumsy person

Hi fishguy23,
I reckon all these click in pedals are a Japanese trick to sell band aids and knee pads. :)

Worse, they're a French development. :wink:
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

fishguy23

Postby fishguy23 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:32 am

outnabike wrote:

Hi fishguy23,

no time for bandaids when you eat it in front of 6 cars waiting at traffic lights :oops: . its just get back on and ride away as fast as possible without making eye contact with anyone in said cars.

quasio

Postby quasio » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:27 am

Just started commuting and been eagerly lurking this thread, (also got very scared seeing fishguy ate it a few times), just to post an updates for other ppl's benefit reading this.
Decided to go with the pd-t700 click'r pedals and shoes ct40.

And I must say they are super easy to get in and out off.. only done 1 ride and so far so good.. doing some test emergency stops (which probably isn't representative) but unclipped one side and started falling the other side that was clipped in.. managed a panic unclip quite easily. (also they are the multi-release type)

I've set the left at 1 stop higher than the right for testing, and i've unclipped from the right while riding accidentally (only once) so i'll do up the tension on that one.. haven't really ridden hard yet, but clipped in does feel a lot better than unclipped.

one issue is after 1 day, i see paint/anodising/metal flaking off one of the sides bottom clip, must be a manuf. defect, all other 3 sides seem fine, so i'll get them swapped.

Anyway +1 for click'r for beginners.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:59 pm

fishguy23 wrote:The only way any more dignity could have been lost, would have been if I was wearing crocs at the time.
I lol'd. Sorry :lol: Glad you are unharmed physically if not spiritually.

And I've said it before & will say it again, I am the poster-klutz for Click-R. I've been on them nearly a year and still await my turn to eat showtime.

Now I want to know if I can fit a set of cleats to my Crocs ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:03 pm

fishguy23 wrote:Well had a bad clipstack today. The only way any more dignity could have been lost, would have been if I was wearing crocs at the time.

And if you had just listened to me, you wouldn't be in this situation. Everyone should just do what I say.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:14 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:And if you had just listened to me, you wouldn't be in this situation. Everyone should just do what I say.
[OT]Tsk. Right?! There's rarely a day goes by I don't have that exact thought myself... [/OT]
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle