best pedals for a clumsy person

fishguy23

Postby fishguy23 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:22 am

Ive just picked up my first road bike and need some recommendations on what pedals to buy. Ive always ridden a mountain bike with everyday pedals. Im after something thats easy to clip in and out of (easiest possible)
I guess I will need some shoe recomendation too. As joggers wont really work on them.

Its an sram force crankset if that makes any difference.

li2099

Re: best pedals for a clumsy person

Postby li2099 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:29 am

Maybe the Shimano Click R:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/2013/03/shim ... ng-pedals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:38 am

I only have experience with using SPD pedals but would recomend them because they're adjustable and inexpensive. They have an adjustment screw which allows you to control the tension within the mechanism. For someone who is getting used to them the screw can be released to the point where the cleat is barely held in and this makes it easier to get your foot out in an emergency.

All of my bikes have these:

http://www.this link is broken.au/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm pretty sure they come with cleats incuded. You just need to be sure that the shoes you buy are compatible with SPD cleats.

Pete

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:39 am

li2099 wrote:Maybe the Shimano Click R:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/2013/03/shim ... ng-pedals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep, the Click Rs are the way to go.

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:46 am

Crank Brothers Candy for mine - could also use eggbeaters, but the additional platform makes it just that tiny bit easier to locate the pedal. You can click in by stomping down or sliding the foot forward or backward - the pedal cage just grabs the cleat and engages. Unclipping is as simple as twisting your foot; virtually zero resistance. Best to go for 3 series as they have inner needle bearings rather than bushings (though my Eggbeater 2s are still going strong with no play after many 1000s of Km in all kinda nasty conditions, and with zero maintenance).

If you're set on a road-specific pedal, I guess Speedplay X or light action are the next best thing.

Shoes - get something that fits, with the stiffest sole you can afford. I love my Giro Gauges.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:31 am

Hi fishguy23,
I reckon all these click in pedals are a Japanese trick to sell band aids and knee pads. :)
Print this out and read it every time you have a clip stack.....really. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

fishguy23

Postby fishguy23 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:05 am

[quote="m@"
If you're set on a road-specific pedal, I guess Speedplay X or light action are the next best thing.

Shoes - get something that fits, with the stiffest sole you can afford. I love my Giro Gauges.[/quote]

No preference really, I know you can also get clip ons for mtb. But assume they would be harder to use given the terrain.

Thanks also to everyone else. I now have some stuff I can go and look at a the LBS.

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:41 pm

fishguy23 wrote:No preference really, I know you can also get clip ons for mtb. But assume they would be harder to use given the terrain.
Quite the opposite!

Crank Brothers pedals are four-sided; all other MTB pedals I'm aware of are double-sided. Almost all road pedals are one-sided, and tend to hang vertically - so you need to use the toe of your shoe to flip the pedal over before locking in the front of the cleat, then stepping down.

Speedplay are the obvious exception (double-sided), but do still need more care to locate the cleat on the pedal than Crank Bros.

The disadvantage of MTB pedals is a smaller cleat/shoe interface. If you're racing in A grade and/or buy cheap, flexy shoes, this might be significant... ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

rjk

Postby rjk » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:17 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
li2099 wrote:Maybe the Shimano Click R:
Yep, the Click Rs are the way to go.
+1 and you can get click r pedals that are flat on one side so you can use normanl shoes if you want
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:22 pm

outnabike wrote:Hi fishguy23,
I reckon all these click in pedals are a Japanese trick to sell band aids and knee pads. :)
Print this out and read it every time you have a clip stack.....really. :)
Read the click r review, they're designed to avoid clip-stacks.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:45 pm

I have tried Shimano SPD-SL (road bike pedals), Speedplay Zero and Light Action and Shimano SPD (MTB). You can't beat the MTB pedals for ease of use and avoiding clip stacks. If you want a platform with SPD then try Shimano PD-A600 (they are one sided but provide a platform for your shoe to push against so avoiding hotspots).

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:04 pm

Tried the lot as well myself (spent a fortune trying to find the right thing for me) Settled on Speedplay Light action and Speedplay Zero on two of my bikes and Speedplay Frogs on another. If you want something really easy to get in and out of (almost too easy!) then Speedplay Frogs would be my tip that fit a SPD two hole shoe. Sometimes don't even know I'm in until I pull my foot up and never had a problem getting out.

I kind of know where outnabike is coming from as I agree clipless pedals are slightly more dangerous than flats/platform in an emergency (there isn't that instant foot down). But I've been converted more than a year now of regular use and can notice the efficiency from the clipless to when I go back to the flats and haven't got that same connection and my feet hit the chain stays and the pedal stroke just seems really ugly.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

fishguy23

Postby fishguy23 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:38 pm

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, i bought myself a set of the Shimano PD-M520.
put the cleats on the set of shoes i bought. practicing on a the bike and its easier than i thought it would be. ive done as recommended above and have loosened them to the lightest setting. after a few rides it should become easy enough to do.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Good choice.

I've just gone to Speedplay Zeros on the road bike and after 6 months theyre only just starting to wear wear in and become easy to get into. Not at all beginner friendly IMO.

If I'd known about the light action id have gone with them.

That said, the free float is the next best thing to a Shimano mtb pedal. Very knee friendly.

klement

Postby klement » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:18 pm

Trailgumby, I'm in the same boat. I bought the zeros as my first cleats/pedal combinations and two weeks later, they are still incredibly tight. I wish I had bought the light actions as well !

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:42 pm

fishguy23 wrote:Thanks everyone for the recommendations, i bought myself a set of the Shimano PD-M520.
put the cleats on the set of shoes i bought. practicing on a the bike and its easier than i thought it would be. ive done as recommended above and have loosened them to the lightest setting. after a few rides it should become easy enough to do.
fishguy23 There are friendlier cleats as well.
If you find them a bit tricky to learn with, the SM-SH56 featured on the link may be worth a try.
Shimano SM-SH51 SPD Standard cleats
Shimano SM-SH56 SPD Multiple Release Cleat Set

http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod10969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:39 pm

klement wrote:Trailgumby, I'm in the same boat. I bought the zeros as my first cleats/pedal combinations and two weeks later, they are still incredibly tight. I wish I had bought the light actions as well !
The Light Action while requiring less force to disengage do so at a much greater angle than the Zeros (so more foot travel is needed). Even with the Light Action you're not going to unclip quickly in an emergency (don't ask me how I know :lol: ).

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:01 pm

klement wrote:Trailgumby, I'm in the same boat. I bought the zeros as my first cleats/pedal combinations and two weeks later, they are still incredibly tight. I wish I had bought the light actions as well !
Speedplays are overrated anyway, but have you lubricated the clip? New cleats are very sticky - get some Tri-flow on them.

Also have you mounted the cleats on the shoes with the correct spacers so they don't distort and jam?

You should be able to move the clip fairly easily, pushing it with the tip of a screwdriver. If you can't then you have a lubrication or installation problem.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

fishguy23

Postby fishguy23 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Sorry just on the last post, so my cleats on the shoe where they screw in. That should be able to slide up and down? Along the runner sorta thing? Or should they be firm in position

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:39 pm

fishguy23 wrote:Sorry just on the last post, so my cleats on the shoe where they screw in. That should be able to slide up and down? Along the runner sorta thing? Or should they be firm in position
No, the C shaped spring should be able to be moved not the cleats sliding against the shoe. If the screws mounting the cleats to the shoe are overtightened then the C shaped spring won't move at all and won't be able to clip in. All this information is in the instructions.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:41 pm

You need your cleats firmly bolted down; the slots are to allow you to locate the cleats in the right position for your leg alignment (they can be rotated slightly to suit too). If the cleats are allowed to move, you'll find yourself falling off a lot as you won't be able to get out of the pedals in time!

The last couple of posts relate specifically to the Speedplay brand of pedals, in which the design is essentially reversed from everything else in that the locking/releasing mechanism is incorporated into the cleat on the shoe, rather than in the pedal.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:42 pm

biker jk wrote:
fishguy23 wrote:Sorry just on the last post, so my cleats on the shoe where they screw in. That should be able to slide up and down? Along the runner sorta thing? Or should they be firm in position
No, the C shaped spring should be able to be moved not the cleats sliding against the shoe. If the screws mounting the cleats to the shoe are overtightened then the C shaped spring won't move at all and won't be able to clip in. All this information is in the instructions.
I don't think you're talking about the OP's Shimano pedals....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

fishguy23

Postby fishguy23 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:09 pm

Thanks i had already done them up tightly and they both clip in and out nicely. But was just clarifying, im completely new when it comes to road bikes so any advice is great.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:20 pm

Duck! wrote:
biker jk wrote:
I don't think you're talking about the OP's Shimano pedals....
No, I though klement was asking. My mistake.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:29 pm

fishguy23 wrote:Thanks i had already done them up tightly and they both clip in and out nicely. But was just clarifying, im completely new when it comes to road bikes so any advice is great.
Some good info on positioning.
http://sheldonbrown.com/shoe-pedal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;