Ideal second hand bike for newbie rider?

scubaal

Ideal second hand bike for newbie rider?

Postby scubaal » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:22 am

Hi All,

Does anyone have any recommendations on the type (or brand and model) of bikes that'd be good for a complete newbie?

I will be mainly using it for leisure road rides with my friends and missus on a weekend, and maybe use it for fitness and commute to work later down the track. At this stage I don't see myself using it more than 2-3 times a month, so I don't want to spend too much here. I've a budget of around $130 or thereabouts for a second hand bike.

I've looked on Gumtree but there are so many on sale, and I don't know which ones are suitable for me. I *think* I should get a Hybrid bike? Have no idea about frame/wheel size or material.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :D

rodneycc

Re: Ideal second hand bike for newbie rider?

Postby rodneycc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi Mate. You really aren't going to get a decent bike for $130 (or if you do it would be a total fluke). You really need to spend at least 300-400 min. Have a look online and on this forum about the certain types of bikes to build up your understanding and education.

Bike fit is all important so make sure you get the right size/fit above all else.

Giant is probably the most common brand bike around and you see a few on Ebay/Gumtree (maybe use Gumtree over Ebay so you can go and have a look at it easier). But you might find a cheap Roam or Cypress for about $200 that might be good.

I could go into a heap of technical stuff about wheels/frame etc but I think you are better off looking that stuff up yourself when you have time.

Anyway good luck. Cheers Rod.

PS If you are willing to up your budget then I recommend going into a Cell Bikes store or a Reid Cycles store to assist your needs.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:38 pm

Post some links here if you find something you think is suitable for a second opinion. You should be able to pick up something for near $130 but upping to $200 should get something much better. Either way aim for something that was sold in a bike shop, not kmart and be prepared to give it a once over/ tidy up before you ride.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

scubaal

Postby scubaal » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:16 pm

Hi guys

What about these:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/willough ... 1051004047" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/chatswoo ... 1051364713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:34 am

Both tell nothing about the drivetrain and wheels which are the major components you will need information on.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:17 am

The first LOOKS like a kmart bike, therefore probably not worth it.
The second link are def kmart bikes. Stay away.
There are probably better options.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:16 am

Hi mate, I was thinking along the lines of something like this one.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-c ... 1051398789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:07 am

Wouldn't it be nice if the law was that registration numbers of the bikes had to be included in the adds?
There was a large robbery last week of Merida bikes so watch out for them; they will be on the market some where soon.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

tron07

Postby tron07 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:57 am

I am looking to buy a bike as well. Check out Reid, they are having a sale at the moment.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:04 pm

G'day, gumtree can be a great source of quality bikes at reasonable prices for a newbie. With the amount of riding you have specified a lower end but reputable brand would be good. I picked up a sweet Giant mountain bike for my daughter for $70, had hardly been ridden by previous owner. If you keep an eye out you will come across many rarely ridden bikes, eg, Spring, sunny weather, Christmas purchases. Don't get bogged down in groupsets, as a newbie. A really good source for bikes are police auctions like this one in WA https://www.auctions.com.au/auctions/20 ... ction.html
Make sure you know what you are looking at before you get along to an auction though , set your limit & stick with it.

scubaal

Postby scubaal » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. Are there any other reputable brands I should be looking at apart from Giant?

I've come across this one: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pymble/b ... 1051428042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Is this any good?

Cheers

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:50 pm

Looks like good value. Good brand, not the bottom of the rung model. Certainly wouldn't be turned away by a bike shop for a service, unlike a huffy, cyclops or other dept store brand.

As for other brands, pretty much anything sold by a proper bike shop. Giant, Merida, trek, avanti are a few reputable brands.

koshari

Postby koshari » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:35 pm

Scubal you cant go to far wrong with that. With a little mexhanical aptitude and youtube you could maintain it as well.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:14 pm

looks good. some quick checks -
- lift wheels off ground (one at a time) and spin. check that wheel does not wobble from side to side by checking distance from fork/frame or better still pencil
- check gears go through full range
- check brakes
all above can (often) be corrected relatively easily at home, but great if you can pay and ride straight away. Also gives an indication of maintenance.
- also check wheels do not rotate as an egg or oval, not so easy to fix

- PS also check bearings, wheel, headset & bottom bracket, eg hold wheel at top & try to move from side to side, should not notice looseness, hold pedal move side to side, should not notice looseness, apply front brake, try to move bike back & forth, should not notice looseness. (check google/youtube for more detail, sure to be heaps of info)