Carbon road frames, what options, threaded BB?

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:52 pm

I'm looking at buying a new carbon road frameset, with threaded BB (not interested in press fit nonsense marketing hype) at the end of this year and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions, budget is around $1K for the frame/forks, less is good. I'd only use it for training rides and I'd prefer it if it wasn't black, but that is very difficult, my cross and mtb are both black at least mostly, I'm currently considering:

Planet X Pro Carbon Road $730 in red delivered
Merlin Malt-CR $612 (black and red) and Evolution $765 (black and blue) delivered, very little in the way of reviews on these
Ribble New Sportive Carbon Road $880 or Ribble Gran Fondo Carbon Road (both are black, white and red) $783 delivered

I've also seen the De Rosa Avant Carbon Race 2010 NOS (white, black and green) for sale in WA for $999, though there is very little info about these bikes and I've seen a few reviews of De Rosa'a that say they seem to be relying on the label not quality; subjective. These may not be available at the end of the year.
No signature

Jean

Re: Carbon road frames, what options, threaded BB?

Postby Jean » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:21 pm

You've already looked at Ribble, but there is the Ribble Evo Pro Carbon too. It comes in white & red as well as carbon black.I looked at one last year, but went off in another direction. I was specifically looking at it because it had a conventional BB.

The Chinese carbon frames often have BSA BB options too - if you are interested in going that way.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:40 pm

English BB but it is carbon grey..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PRO-LITE-CAR ... 2c868857b7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have one and it's a very nice frame.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:45 pm

Jean wrote:The Chinese carbon frames often have BSA BB options too - if you are interested in going that way.
Are there any you'd recommend Jean and do any come in colours other than black, I'll get black if it seems like the best way to go, just weighing up all my options for the moment.
No signature

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Bentnose wrote:
Jean wrote:The Chinese carbon frames often have BSA BB options too - if you are interested in going that way.
Are there any you'd recommend Jean and do any come in colours other than black, I'll get black if it seems like the best way to go, just weighing up all my options for the moment.
No, I don't have any recommendations. I've been looking into them lately, but I don't have any immediate plans to buy. Dengfu and Hongfu seem to be the most often cited as reliable and easy to deal with, so you could start your research there. There is a Chinese carbon thread somewhere on this forum and lots of posts over at Roadbike Review forums.

But they do seem to offer various BB options and while the frames are various shades of carbon as is, the suppliers will paint the frames if that's what you want, and then it's just up to your imagination and budget.
Last edited by Jean on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Turns out its Hongfu and Dengfu, I'll check out some threads on it.
No signature

sdnelson19

Postby sdnelson19 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:16 pm

this isn't mine, but I had the exact same frame not long ago. Mine was threaded (english), rode like a dream and looked stunning.

link ---> View item

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:38 am

Threaded BB, Full carbon tapered fork, 7046 (high end) alloy frame.

I don't have every size in white but there is always the black option.

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/product ... tion-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:40 am

Jacks1071 the Cuneo is a nice bike but I've been running an aluminium road bike for 8 years, my cross bike is aluminium and my next MTB will probably be aluminium, so i'll stick to carbon, I have seen good reviews of the Cuneo.

sdnelson19 not sure of the price of a new one of these, I'll check them out, Torpedo 7 have some other Williers, though over $1K from NZ will add GST and custom charges.

ball bearing had a link to a NOS Pro-Lite Aurelia that looks pretty good, though little in the way of reviews of these bikes.
No signature

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:29 am

Bentnose wrote:Turns out its Hongfu and Dengfu, I'll check out some threads on it.
:oops: Sorry about that. Pesky vowels.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:08 pm

Bentnose wrote:Jacks1071 the Cuneo is a nice bike but I've been running an aluminium road bike for 8 years, my cross bike is aluminium and my next MTB will probably be aluminium, so i'll stick to carbon, I have seen good reviews of the Cuneo.
Do you know which alloy your current frame is made from?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:52 pm

jacks1071 wrote:Do you know which alloy your current frame is made from?
I'm not sure, it is a 2005 Trek SLR bought as a frameset, just the Alpha SLR Aluminium, like this one http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... model=1500 but it doesn't say 1500 on it.
No signature

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:51 am

Bentnose wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:Do you know which alloy your current frame is made from?
I'm not sure, it is a 2005 Trek SLR bought as a frameset, just the Alpha SLR Aluminium, like this one http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... model=1500 but it doesn't say 1500 on it.
I know them, a buddy of mine used to race on one. Pretty sure they are a 6000 series alloy which is bacially pretty heavy compared to the more modern alloys and the 6000 series alloys deliver a really harsh ride.

Frames made from 7000 series alloy are completely different. There is zero comparison, the tubing is a lot thinner (not much thicker than a coke can in places), weight is less and the ride quality (stiffness) is about on par with a mid to high end carbon frame.

The cheap carbon frames will give a more compliant ride since they tend to flex a lot. Basically with carbon frames the more you spend the lighter and stiffer they get presuming you are looking at "performance" models.

One of the cool things with carbon is that the designers can make the frames either stiff or compliant or a compromise using exactly the same material although there is also several types of carbon which many people don't realise. All are absolutely not made equal.

With alloy I guess the same thing can be done to a degree by using different grades of alloy.

I personally have high-end frames made from alloy, carbon, titanium and bamboo - there isn't a huge difference in the ride quality of high-end frames regardless of the material. Done right you can use any of these materials to make a high-end frame.

Biggest difference between them all is the price.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:49 pm

So were does the Cuneo sit with regards to stiffness and comfort? I am after a frame that delivers comfort ahead of stiffness, to a degree, obviously I don't want it to ride like a wet noodle. My current frame could be stiffer, though it isn't super comfortable, I have a Cube Cross Disc that is much stiffer though it is a little more comfortable than the Trek. I did change my wheels on the Trek a few years ago from semi aero low spoke count wheels to high spoke count non aero rims and that made an enormous difference to the comfort level.
No signature

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:21 am

Bentnose wrote:So were does the Cuneo sit with regards to stiffness and comfort? I am after a frame that delivers comfort ahead of stiffness, to a degree, obviously I don't want it to ride like a wet noodle. My current frame could be stiffer, though it isn't super comfortable, I have a Cube Cross Disc that is much stiffer though it is a little more comfortable than the Trek. I did change my wheels on the Trek a few years ago from semi aero low spoke count wheels to high spoke count non aero rims and that made an enormous difference to the comfort level.
They're a performance orientated frame and as such are stiff but the ride isn't harsh like your Trek would be in comparison.

My preference with frames personally is to get them as stiff as possible, the best place to introduce some comfort is in the tyres. Either wider tyres or wider rims so you can run less pressure - makes a big difference to comfort and allows you to have a bike that handles really well. Other place is with a carbon seat post or even carbon railed saddle if you still need a little more comfort.

I'm not sure what size you need but we have a couple of sizes in the Bella GP. The Bella GP is a Cuneo GP with Carbon seat stays, the seat stays are quite interesting in that they are flatted to provide vertical compliance but are laterally stiff. They don't make the Bella GP anymore as the seat stays were too expensive but they are a pretty cool frame and are a little more compliant than the Cuneo GP.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:29 am

I'll consider the Prolite's, I'm still steering towards carbon though, plenty of time to make a decision.
No signature

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:32 pm

If the Cuneo is anything like the CAAD10 or Falco Saker you'd be mad not to consider it. Top of the range alloy can often outperform entry level carbon. IMO Material is a much of a muchness - buy the frame that fits you the best!

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Bentnose wrote:Turns out its Hongfu and Dengfu, I'll check out some threads on it.
My brother has the FM098 (Venge rip off). I've ridden it and it feels quite good. You can pick and choose your colours. He went through an Aussie company, Shock Sports Australia - http://shocksports.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If you want some local backing (i.e. if something does go wrong, they can help you out without dealing directly with the manufacturer in China.) I think you'd be looking at about $700-$800 all up delivered. I'll be definitely considering them for my next bike.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Bentnose wrote:I'll consider the Prolite's, I'm still steering towards carbon though, plenty of time to make a decision.
Just to let you know, I had a problem with the Pro Lite Aurelia I suggested above and Pro Lite sent me a new frame without any fuss at no cost to me.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:39 pm

I wouldn't agree about the comment regarding looking for comfort in only your wheels and tyres. Your frame, a major part of your bike, has a huge influence on your comfort. Don't try to fix an overly stiff frame with add-ons. If you want comfort get a frame made for comfort not criteriums.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:47 pm

I don't disagree that the frame has a major influence on comfort - but material has little to do with this, it all depends on your fit. If you're comfortable on the frame in terms of reach and stack then you're set. There's no such thing as a frame made for crits or comfort - it's just marketing spin (or a taller stack height + shorter reach :lol: ).

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:24 am

I think frame material and geometry have a very big influence on a bikes performance. Tubing diameter as well as tubing shape and the way the tubes are combined all have an effect.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:40 am

singlespeedscott wrote:I think frame material and geometry have a very big influence on a bikes performance. Tubing diameter as well as tubing shape and the way the tubes are combined all have an effect.
That's why I'm a little loath to buy frames without seeing some reviews to indicate its purpose and ride qualities, obviously I'll be unable to ride it first I can only go by what I read about it on the net. There are a few extra options I have to look at, thanks everyone.
No signature

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:33 am

usernameforme wrote:I don't disagree that the frame has a major influence on comfort - but material has little to do with this, it all depends on your fit. If you're comfortable on the frame in terms of reach and stack then you're set. There's no such thing as a frame made for crits or comfort - it's just marketing spin (or a taller stack height + shorter reach :lol: ).
While fit is the most important factor, I disagree that material is irrelevant. It still plays a significant part in the "feel" of the bike. I use my two roadies as an example, both Giants, one is an alloy OCR (Defy forerunner), the other is a carbon TCR. Both bikes are set up the same; the OCR has its stem slammed to match the lower head of the TCR. Its longer rear stays should offer some more compliance, but it's a noticeably more chattery ride than the carbon TCR. Both bikes are on the same tyres, 23mm Conti Gators at 100 psi, so there's an element of consistency. It's just the nature of the beast, carbon (more so by virtue of the resin in the composite layup than the fibre) is significantly better at absorbing vibration than aluminium, regardless of how it's shaped.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:50 pm

@Duck, the OCR is entry level whilst the TCR is more "advanced", I'd put the differences down to frame caliber. What I think would be interesting is the current TCR SLR vs a TCR advanced or composite.

I don't think I was very clear in my post, but I meant that frames of the same caliber will feel similar. By that I was suggesting ~$500 carbon frames won't ride any better than the Pro-Lite Cuneo. Obviously things like diameter matter, and higher end frames will have more advanced shaping. But if we compare like for like ($500 frames) I doubt the carbon would have a drastic advantage over the alloy of the pro-lite.