Carbon road frames, what options, threaded BB?

MattyK

Re: Carbon road frames, what options, threaded BB?

Postby MattyK » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:41 pm

This might be worth considering, if you can handle black...
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 ... 1___204685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
extra 20% off right now too (which happens regularly on Nashbar) - check shipping cost first though.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:05 pm

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/stars ... e-fork/RCF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ Something similar from an australian site (might have better shipping rates) but limited sizes...

Nashbar frames look like they're out of stock, sadly

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:05 am

MattyK wrote:This might be worth considering, if you can handle black...
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 ... 1___204685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
extra 20% off right now too (which happens regularly on Nashbar) - check shipping cost first though.
Yeah, I looked at these, I love the way it says RRP is $2200, don't know where they got that from, I'd rather have a branded frame than a blank black frame, looks a bit povo.
No signature

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:40 am

You can always get the local signwriter to knock out some stickers for it, Chinarello, Free Willier, Dollnago, the mind boggles with the possibilities :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:37 am

Bentnose wrote:
MattyK wrote:This might be worth considering, if you can handle black...
Yeah, I looked at these, I love the way it says RRP is $2200, don't know where they got that from, I'd rather have a branded frame than a blank black frame, looks a bit povo.
I'd rather have a branded Taiwanese frame over a no-name Chinese one.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:55 am

ldrcycles wrote:You can always get the local signwriter to knock out some stickers for it, Chinarello, Free Willier, Dollnago, the mind boggles with the possibilities :) .
If I ever do this it will be called a Pina-Col-ada

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:22 pm

Bentnose wrote:I have an On One Inbred steel MTB and it is looking a bit scuffed up after 3 years of abuse, less than $200 to replace that with another On One, maybe there is something to be said for riding cheap frames; as long as they ride well.
I have an Inbred 29er and it's a cracking ride. Still, on one of my very rare visits to an LBS the other day they had a Ritchey WCS P27.5 steel frame built up (as 1x10/11) and it was certainly an item get some drooling going. It was markedly lighter than my Inbred (it did have a fixed fork), but as the Ritchey frame costs about 5-6 times as much (which is still not a bad buy IMO), it would want to.

Anyway, back to topic. Four pages in and I don't think you have progressed very far from, first, the Ribble options; second, a custom painted Chinese open source mold frame; or, third, waiting for Nashbar to get stock back in. New carbon frames with BSA/ISO BBs are just going to get rarer.

Otherwise it's picking up whatever slightly older frame you can find or accepting the demonic onward march of press-fit BBs.

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:04 pm

https://www.cyclingexpress.com/?lang=en ... n-Frameset

Yes.. it's black :(

As a former Kuota owner I'll happily vouch for its bikes. I know ownership of the brand has been passed on from Sintema of Italy to Martec, the Taiwanese company that made them as of last year - but the line of bikes remains the same for now.

I'd also recommend the Kharma 2014 frame - it has surprising levels of kit for the price ($999). However it does not meet all your criteria (namely Pressfit30 BB).

Money and need permitting I'd go for one in a heartbeat :) But that's my issue - there are too many bikes I want to own! :(

neobikes

Postby neobikes » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:40 am

I personally ride a Kuota K Uno and they are a fantastic frame. (K Uno is in a different price range of course) but great. Unfortunately that model doesn't come into Aus anymore but cycling express where great to deal with and very fast.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:59 am

MattyK wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:You can always get the local signwriter to knock out some stickers for it, Chinarello, Free Willier, Dollnago, the mind boggles with the possibilities :) .
If I ever do this it will be called a Pina-Col-ada
i like my 'black' frame, but that would almost sway me to sticker it. :lol: :lol:

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:31 pm

TMjpn wrote:https://www.cyclingexpress.com/?lang=en ... n-Frameset

Yes.. it's black :(

As a former Kuota owner I'll happily vouch for its bikes. I know ownership of the brand has been passed on from Sintema of Italy to Martec, the Taiwanese company that made them as of last year - but the line of bikes remains the same for now.

I'd also recommend the Kharma 2014 frame - it has surprising levels of kit for the price ($999). However it does not meet all your criteria (namely Pressfit30 BB).

Money and need permitting I'd go for one in a heartbeat :) But that's my issue - there are too many bikes I want to own! :(
These look pretty good, BSA BB as well.

So far, in carbon, I've got:

Ribble frame
Planet X frame
Pro Lite Aurelia
De Rosa Avant Carbon Race
Kuota Korsa
Verite Team S
Azzurri Forza Elite
Argon 18 Krypton

Anyone got any others under $1K and any comments on the above, turns out Cycling Express have quite a few.
No signature

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:19 am

Ohhh. My pick of those would be the argon krypton, as the krypton is just the previous model Gallium Pro (argons top level frame) mould with less fancy carbon used. My brother loves his Gallium Pro... I really don't think you cant go wrong with one!

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:39 pm

TMjpn wrote:Ohhh. My pick of those would be the argon krypton, as the krypton is just the previous model Gallium Pro (argons top level frame) mould with less fancy carbon used. My brother loves his Gallium Pro... I really don't think you cant go wrong with one!
Yeah I've basically decided to get the Argon Krypton in a medium, their sizing seem a bit out of wack compared to others, the medium is more like a large in other sizes, they start from an XXS and only go to a XL. Just waiting for the next credit card period in 10 days and will have to put an IOU in the bike fund. The reviews of this bike are very good.
No signature

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:12 pm

I would suspect anything of Italian origin will have an Italian threaded bb. Another thing to avoid IMO. If not done up super tight they have a habit of unwinding.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:19 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I would suspect anything of Italian origin will have an Italian threaded bb. Another thing to avoid IMO. If not done up super tight they have a habit of unwinding.
Its English BSA thread, I thought they were Canadian.
No signature

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:09 pm

That's it Argon 18 Krypton ordered, $949 plus $29 delivery. I must thank TMjpn for suggesting Cycling Express, they have a lot of frames for sale.
No signature