Bike24 - My online experience

cilia3030

Postby cilia3030 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:45 am

Do your product research before purchasing from Bike24

I purchased a SRAM 'Cassette' to run on my SRAM RED 22 Rear Derailleur. I wanted to run a ratio of 11-32 to assist with hill climbing. I later found out on the SRAM site that the 11-32 will only run on the SRAM RED 22 WiFLi Rear Derailleur, something that is noted on all other online sites except for Bike24. The result is that the 11-32 will not run on my 'short; version of the RED 22 Rear Derailleur.
When I pointed this missing piece of information on their product description to Bike24, the reply from their 'Customer Service' was "We are not forced to write on a cassette description for what it is usable or not."

Not happy Bike24. All other online Bike Shops have this information. Should have stuck with the UK Shops.

Never again !! :( :(

Blakeylonger

Re: Bike24 - My online experience

Postby Blakeylonger » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:36 pm

cry me a river.

That cassette works with any derailleur that can handle it's stack and tooth range. Should they list every road mech from Shimano & SRAM that it'll work with as well as every MTB mech from Shimano & SRAM, plus vintage SunTour too and Campy MTB perhaps?

Take some responsibility for your purchasing decisions if you want to buy cheap from OS, check the specs and limits of your gear beforehand. There are lots of compatibility charts and user manuals out there, a 10sec google even tells you straight up that it won't work.

Did you also purchase a longer chain to accomodate the extra capacity? Or did you expect bike24 to mention that too?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:17 pm

This has nothing to do with Bike24. You simply ordered a part that you couldn't use because you didn't know the capabilities of your equipment.

In hindsight, I am sure you'll check the SRAM website before any future orders. Mark it down as a learning experience and sell the cassette locally if you can't use it.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:49 pm

Yes, I'm afraid that you are in the wrong to blame Bike24. If you are buying online it is your obligation to ensure you are buying the right bits. If they have described the part inaccurately, then it is fair enough to complain, but if the description is accurate and you have simply bought the wrong part because you did not research enough, then it is simply your fault.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:00 pm

I just had a quick look at Wiggle and they don't mention the need for a Red 22 WiLi derailleur to run a 11-32 cassette. So it appears that Bike24 is not alone. As mentioned, it would have been a good idea to do your research before ordering.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:42 pm

queequeg wrote:This has nothing to do with Bike24. You simply ordered a part that you couldn't use because you didn't know the capabilities of your equipment.

In hindsight, I am sure you'll check the SRAM website before any future orders. Mark it down as a learning experience and sell the cassette locally if you can't use it.
+1

Andrew

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:56 pm

I've ordered with Bike24 several times and found them quite good... Moral of the story is, if your not up on the tech side of things, and don't know what your buying, then protect yourself and support your LBS and pay the premium for it...

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:13 pm

Eek - bet OP didn't expect this response....... :shock:

I agree with the comments though - do your research, it isn't up to the seller to do it for you - they're selling a product. If a customer had asked them via message / email, I'm sure they would have steered that person in the right direction.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:21 pm

queequeg wrote:This has nothing to do with Bike24. You simply ordered a part that you couldn't use because you didn't know the capabilities of your equipment.

+1
You could have easily asked here and found out from members your plan wouldn't work
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Blakeylonger wrote:cry me a river.

That cassette works with any derailleur that can handle it's stack and tooth range. Should they list every road mech from Shimano & SRAM that it'll work with as well as every MTB mech from Shimano & SRAM, plus vintage SunTour too and Campy MTB perhaps?

Take some responsibility for your purchasing decisions if you want to buy cheap from OS, check the specs and limits of your gear beforehand. There are lots of compatibility charts and user manuals out there, a 10sec google even tells you straight up that it won't work.

Did you also purchase a longer chain to accomodate the extra capacity? Or did you expect bike24 to mention that too?
That is put quite bluntly :lol:

+1 however, well said.

Harden up and stop sooking. :P
Bike 24 are not responsible for your incompetence :|
I have found them great in my dealings with them :thumbsup:

You might be able to put the cassette up for sale on the member sales sub forum and get back some of your money.
As has been mentioned, forumites will give you good feedback on mechanical compliance and set up issues if you put up a question
Blame tapatalk
Dogs are the best people :wink: