I can't believe a bike shop would do this

slowK

I can't believe a bike shop would do this

Postby slowK » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:18 am

Very interesting post http://carbonaddiction.net/2014/07/16/t ... de-almost/

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm amazed that a shop would try this.

(I have nothing to do with carbonaddiction, but I do like reading his blog.)

rkelsen

Re: I can't believe a bike shop would do this

Postby rkelsen » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:31 am

They're in business to make money. I had a good chuckle at the car dealer comment. They do things much worse than that...

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:30 am

As one of the comments on the article says, if it was me i would get a refund and then never set foot anywhere near that shop again.

I've never heard of it before but it makes sense, after all as soon as the next year's model is out the "old" one is all but worthless.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:40 am

Maybe the shop owner does this every year and gets away with it, riding the latest every year and then palming it off.
Love to see the invoicing from the distributor on how many "demos" this shop buys.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:41 am

These shonks need to be named and shamed. Fair Trading needs to be informed otherwise it will happen again. There needs to be some financial penalty and reputational damage.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:41 am

Yeah, thats very poor form and a shocking business practise.
Id be gutted if I found out that I had bought a bike from them previously...!

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:46 am

Wasn't there a bike shop in WA that was doing that with Pinarello's?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:04 pm

Although the policy on BNA is not to name and shame (because there are two sides to every argument) - The shop has shown that they did scam and the big problem is that they are obviously of poor character and could pull this stunt on someone else who is less experienced.

We only know a small part of the story but I would not feel comfortable getting the same shop to order the genuine bike. It is fraud and and from this perspective it is in the greater interest that consumers are aware of their practices.
Cycling is in my BNA

mikaelkn

Postby mikaelkn » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:26 pm

I dunno, looks a bit overly exaggerated by our car salesman:
Luckily for me, working in the auto game I caught on to the scam pretty much straight away. When I took the bike home I immediately attempted to register the frame on the manufacturer’s website to initiate the warranty that comes standard with their products.The website kept crashing so I couldn’t finalise the frame registration. I rang the distributor’s contact number..
Claims to be sharp but really his persistence paid off. Also the bit about the manufacturer's website kept on crashing should be indicative of the manufacturer's quality lol.

Anyway I reckon it was nothing more than the shop getting the wrong colour on the buyer's vanity initials.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:15 am

mikaelkn, while we have limited info, I don't agree with your take on this and would hate to be a victim of this - likewise wouldn't like to see others being a victim.

While it is mostly a one-way account, the extract you have highlighted could mean that Luigi caught onto the scam with due dilligence when registering and confirming details with the brand. It is uncertain whether Luigi is indicating that he suspected the scam when picking up the bike.

Much of the bike industry is behind with technology - while some big brands have been progressive, there is no automatic connection between the quality of a brand and the quality of their website.

Granted that the buyer was confident and prides themself on detecting the scam - But if the buyer orders a 2014 bike and receive a 2011-2013 frame that was resprayed to resemble the new model, then it reeks more of deceptive that a mistake ordering. Generally paint work is done overseas and the buyer has documented that the decals don't match original / genuine specification.

Perhaps a rider may not notice the difference and it could be argued that what they don't know doesn't hurt them. But I believe if the retailer is profiting by deceiving the customer and not fulfilling the service for which they are being paid, then the retailer is in the wrong. If however the account by Luigi is incorrect and the shop acted properly - then this should have been revealed by now.
Cycling is in my BNA

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:22 am

Well summarised Chris.

I would hope the bike shop would have their contact to sell these bikes terminated given these passages in the blog;

I rang the distributor’s contact number and they were very helpful. When asked to supply the frame ID, we found that the black and yellow frame I’d been given was actually purchased by the bike shop as a “demo” frame and was originally painted black, white and red. The frame had been re-sprayed to look like the 2014 model I wanted.

After discovering what had happened, I chose to correspond with the bike store concerned via emails only and copied all correspondence to the Australian distributor.

That sort of behaviour reflects very poorly on that bike shop and you would hope the distributor (and manufacturer if aware) would no longer want to be associated with them.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:05 pm

Parker wrote:Wasn't there a bike shop in WA that was doing that with Pinarello's?
glory cycles or bike force?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:48 am

I have refererenced this story in a new article on the main site: My Bike Shop Sucks! How to find a better bike store.
Cycling is in my BNA

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:50 am

What shop was it?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:52 pm

The original source did not name... and the forum policy is not to name and shame. Read the article I wrote (linked above) about some of the problems cause by naming a retailer (no mater how wrong or right they are.
Cycling is in my BNA

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:50 pm

Le Mong wrote:What shop was it?
Shoot a PM to the OP.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:20 am

AUbicycles wrote:The original source did not name... and the forum policy is not to name and shame. Read the article I wrote (linked above) about some of the problems cause by naming a retailer (no mater how wrong or right they are.
Threaten all they like. If there is documented proof they did this then they dont have a leg to stand in terms of name and shame if its kept factual.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:19 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Le Mong wrote:What shop was it?
Shoot a PM to the OP.
You'd have to ask Peter Maniaty from Carbon Addiction who wrote the piece.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:26 am

AUbicycles wrote:The original source did not name... and the forum policy is not to name and shame. Read the article I wrote (linked above) about some of the problems cause by naming a retailer (no mater how wrong or right they are.
Le Mong wrote:Threaten all they like. If there is documented proof they did this then they dont have a leg to stand in terms of name and shame if its kept factual.
I take it you have never been the subject of a spurious lawsuit like this one. Sure the person ended up getting an order for costs, Elliott v Tomkins (No. 3) [2014] NSWDC 68, but (1) the amount will be ~75% of the money actually spent (2) an order for costs is not the same as receiving money and (3) none of it compensates you for the time and effort you spend on dealing with the matter, time that could be more usefully spent riding your bike or hunting down that toby jug that will finish ff your collection.

I am all in favour of people donating money to the underprivileged lawyers who are struggling to make ends meet on a lousy $750,000 pa. Times are so tough some of them have even had to sell off paintings & sculptures. Do you know how much it costs to hire a helicopter to get the sculpture out ?

Despite my altruistic nature, I can understand why AUbicycles would rather avoid it.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:32 pm

Easy for others to make the bullets and then let him fire them.
Maybe if the bloke concerned sues the bike shop he will not get the recommended first service. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:35 pm

bruce, i always imagined that a defamation case based on internet musings was only likely to succeed if a request to delete the offending content was ignored. sure if it's put on the front page of The Australian the damage is done, but on a forum?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:27 pm

jules21 wrote:bruce, i always imagined that a defamation case based on internet musings was only likely to succeed if a request to delete the offending content was ignored. sure if it's put on the front page of The Australian the damage is done, but on a forum?
Defamation law isn't my thing, but from my limited understanding, the tort is complete once the offending material is published. Deletion, retraction, apologies etc may reduce damage & placate hurt feelings but it doesn't eliminate the case - eg Andrw Farley was ordered to pay $85,000 compensatory damages for his tweets & facebook posts & a further $20,000 for failing to remove them Mickle v Farley [2013] NSWDC 295, although the teacher probably didn't receive much, given he reportedly filed for bankruptcy.

Not a bad summary of it in this guardian article Six things to know to avoid being sued for defamation in Australia
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:53 am

A statement of fact is not defamation.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:51 am

What Bruce is pointing out is that even if it's a statement of fact, having someone take you to court can be costly. Bruce knows a thing or two about this sort of stuff. He sometimes wears a wig under his bike helmet.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:53 am

That'd have to itch, wouldn't it? :lol: