Ultegra Di2

WelshNinja

Ultegra Di2

Postby WelshNinja » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:48 pm

Hey guys
Not sure if I'm in the right thread. But I went to go for a ride this morning after charging my battery last week and it was dead flat. Ok. Put it on charge all day. Put it back in bike. Still dead flat. I'm stumped
Any suggestions?

Duck!
Expert

Re: Ultegra Di2

Postby Duck! » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:56 pm

What's your charge routine like? Do you top it up frequently, or wait until it's really low before recharging? There's a really good thread somewhere about charging schedules for various battery types, but in short, lithium-based batteries (used in many Di2 as well as many lights) do not like being run really low before charging on a frequent basis, but conversely actually need a deep discharge occasionally to keep them working properly. It's also not a good idea to leave it sitting on the charger once it's fully charged. If you do run it right down or leave it sitting on the charger all the time then you'vge probably killed its innards.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Had a similar problem with the Di2 on my Omeo last week . Ended pup having battery replaced under warranty by Cell.

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:27 pm

Does the light go out on the charger, indicating that the battery is fully charged?
If so, it could be due to poor contact at the bike's battery cradle.
Or a broken wire somewhere.

WelshNinja

Postby WelshNinja » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:35 pm

Yes the light goes out on the charger. The bike is only 4 weeks old. I havent really had to charge it. Though I did charge it last weekend, I was surprised to find it flat. A trip to the shop tomorrow I think.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:04 am

Warranty time. No guarantee you don't have a dud battery or dud charger. Best to take all of it in for testing.

Hilly7

Postby Hilly7 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:42 pm

You probably have checked this, but make sure you have not accidentally knocked out your cables from fd and rd

jillybean

Postby jillybean » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:37 pm

Hilly7 wrote:You probably have checked this, but make sure you have not accidentally knocked out your cables from fd and rd
Also check that you haven't accidently disconnected the shifter cable(s). I had this happen after hitting a pothole with my hands on the hoods - bartape had been wrapped with the cable pulled tight and the extra pressure from hitting the pothole was enough to dislodge the connection.
1987 Colnago Master Piu | 1994 Trek OCLV Carbon |2013 Colnago CLX 3.0 Di2

neobikes

Postby neobikes » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:26 am

if its 4 weeks old take it back to where you purchased it.... They will plug it in to etube software and will tell them very quickly what the problem is... except faulty battery of course but that is pretty easy to establish

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:42 pm

1. check the battery level by holding either of the levers in the shift position - the control box will illuminate. it should at least have enough charge to be flashing red to indicate low charge. if it's anything else, then that suggests it is holding charge.
2. as mentioned, check the control cable connections. it may even pay to check the internal connections in the junction box, found inside the down tube. although this is a pain in the a*se.
3. spray terminals with WD40.
4. source another battery (from your LBS?) and confirm that battery to blame.