Floating rotors- yes or no.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Floating rotors- yes or no.

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:53 pm

Finally settled on TRP Spyres for the sadly delayed commuter build.

Trawling ebay, my usual seller has floating brake rotors for sale...

Don't need as such, the TRPs come with rotor supplied but I'm wondering about the cost/benefit ratio.

Anybody with experience of floating rotors on a treadly? Really welcome the advice before pulling the trigger.

Thanks
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Re: Floating rotors- yes or no.

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:25 pm

I'd be inclined to avoid. The rubbing noise would drive me barmy. That's if they really do float.

Otherwise, the chainring bolt-like thingy they sit ("float") on tends to get in the way of calipers and brackets depending on position, and adds weight for no particular performance benefit. I have Ice Tech rotors on my Scalpel 29r. Despite being mostly aluminium (and non-floating too) they are 30% heavier than equivalent level SRAM all stainless rotors.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Not worth it. Got them on two bikes now. One they came with, the other was a bling temptation. One is Avid and the other, Shimano. I have found them to be easy to bend and a pain to straighten but on the plus side they do work well. But then so do the solid discs...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:33 pm

Thanks gents, that ~$70 odd I can spend on something else :wink: :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:03 am

Mulger bill wrote:Finally settled on TRP Spyres for the sadly delayed commuter build.

Trawling ebay, my usual seller has floating brake rotors for sale...

Don't need as such, the TRPs come with rotor supplied but I'm wondering about the cost/benefit ratio.

Anybody with experience of floating rotors on a treadly? Really welcome the advice before pulling the trigger.

Thanks
Shaun
If my race car doesn't need floating rotors, your pushbike certainly doesn't :-)
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"