Handle Bar Bag for storage when riding with kids

AndrewJames

Handle Bar Bag for storage when riding with kids

Postby AndrewJames » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi

My wife and intend to ride with both the kids (currently just I do it with one), this means both bikes would have baby carriers and therefore I can not put panniers on the racks.

Other than

bags that between the frame (acceptable but not enough space as theyre only really good for wallets and phones or puncture repair kits) or
a backpack (this is what I am trying to avoid)
or a basket

a solution might be

Vaude Road II Handlebar Bag

http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... lsrc=aw.ds

* also note I ams searching for a iphone or universal smartphone mount like the quad lock, so the bag can not get in the way of that.

The Vaude linked, is not a great look, but very practical for putting in baby milk bottles, small sandwiches etc.

Here is a smaller option at 2L

http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/Com ... dlebar_Bag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A bike shop mentioned that these items due to increased weight over the front handlebars compromise steering precision.

I would only be using it for approx 10km slow 10-15km/h family rides, that said sometimes there are double alleyway poles and the like which require some balance to get through without having to stop.

Any suggestions or other products or comments on the Cons?

Aushiker

Re: Handle Bar Bag for storage when riding with kids

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:04 pm

Bicycle tourist uses handlebar bags by the 100s if not the 1000s ...

Personally my preference is for an Ortlieb handlebar bag but then I am just touring with it. I have an Ultimate 5 but they have now been replaced with the Ultimate 6 range

My touring bike with the handlebar bag open at the front ...

Whilst Ortlieb do their own mount a lot of people prefer Rixen & Kaul KLICKfix mount, yours truly included.

You may be able to purchase these at a reasonable price locally from the likes of Pushys otherwise my preferred supplier is Bike24.com in Germany. Just remember to setup your shopping there as for Australia so you do not pay the 19% VAT.

Vaude is not so well known around here and given the reputation of Ortlieb gear it tends to be the first choice for many.

Andrew

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:02 pm

like Andrew says, Bike24 have a wide range. I got one of these for my wife
https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;n ... duct=58475" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which needed the Klickfix adaptor as in the photo above as well as the basket, total about a hundred bucks delivered - cheaper than the Ortlieb option also mentioned above that I have for myself, and more volume. Probably better suited to the usage you outline, and the patterns available show they are aimed at the ladies' bike market. With just a few a light load of kid oriented stuff in there, it shouldn't be very noticeabe on your steering.

AndrewJames

Postby AndrewJames » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi there

thanks for these replies.

The interest in the Rixen & Kaul KLICKfix mount, is that because of that big red button ie. ease of use and quality german engineering?

The ladies basket, I probably wont go for as it looks like my bike will have this attachment not hers. (we both will have a kid on the back , so Ill take the extra weight at the front)

My bike, is currently an 90s 26inch MTB, so I probably need to check the handlebar size.22-31.8mm it seems to indicate here is what my bars need to fit (for the Ortlieb bag)

http://www.ortlieb.com/_anleit/ultimate6.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What about Topeak? obviously not long range touring level quality