Giant Defy 3

nafe

Giant Defy 3

Postby nafe » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:09 pm

Hey all.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to road cycling and i am looking at purchasing myself my first real road bike.

I am looking at bying a 2nd hand Giant Defy 3.

My question is, Is this a good price for a 12 month old bike?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-bicycles/ne ... 3003104r20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

usernameforme

Re: Giant Defy 3

Postby usernameforme » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:33 pm

As a general guide 50% of the RRP is a good asking price for a bike in good condition.

If you're new things like fit, service and advice from a bike shop is invaluable. It might be worth the few extra pennies to go to a shop and buy your first bike there. This time of the year they'll be clearing out 2014 models to make way for 2015 stuff, so perhaps pop down and tell them your needs and budget and let them recommend a bike for you.

nafe

Postby nafe » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:42 am

Thanks for the advice mate. Might head into Hadley's and Gateshead Cycles today for a look.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi Nafe, Yeah have a look around at the local Bike shops and see what is on offer. I actually don't mind that Defy 3 for $500. Its not unreasonable with the other goodies throw in. Especially if you don't live near a Reid Cycles or a Cell Bikes, it might be a decent buy on a budget. Just one word of warning. Its a Large size so you would be wanting to be about 6ft tall or a bit over. The most important thing on a road bike is getting the right fit so just be careful with that and Giant's compact sizing (see their website for more). That's where the LBS have a good advantage where they can do a proper fit for you. Good luck. Cheers Rod.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

nafe

Postby nafe » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Thanks Rodney, Appreciate your thoughts

I went into a couple of bike shops yesterday and had a chat to them to get ideas and advice on what i should be buying, didn't try any bikes on but looked at their range, Some were really helpful and knowledgeable. If I go to a LBS to buy a new bike there is definitely 1 i will want to buy from, if not i'll definitely be getting all my accessories and servicing from them.

I keep checking Gumtree as i really want a reasonable road bike on a budget but because of the budget the bike shops are recommending a flat bar road bike which are a fair bit cheaper than a full road bike. I'm getting kind of confused by this whole process.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:41 pm

Road trip into Sydney maybe? e.g to have a look at Reid and Cell? Yeah be a bit wary about buying a flatbar. Lots and lots of people go that way then in 6 months go and buy a dropbar roadie after they start to get into it more. The Flatbar will feel nicer to start with until you find you rather a little more speed in your riding (and then you start to sacrifice a little comfort for speed). But go and do a few test rides and you will soon know what you rather.

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:02 pm

I gather you are in or near Newcastle, (as am I)

I bought my first road bike from Hadley's (a Defy 2) about 3 years - Good good service and a resonable price (in those days they offered free lifetime servicing, just paying for parts etc). For someone who hadnt really ridden for 15 years and had no idea about how a modern bike worked, I think it was the right move.

2 years ago, I bought my son a Cell road bike, ordered mostly using Qantas Frequent Flyer points. It was a good bike and served him well until he got cleaned up by a car (still, he bought a Bianchi with the insurance money-no accounting for taste)

10 months ago, I upgraded and bought a Cell Omeo 2. I didnt actually "need" to upgrade, I just loved the thought of the Di2 and full aero carbon, and the local prices were out of my reach. I drove to Sydney, they fitted me on the bike, sent me for a test ride, made some more adjustments, another test ride. This was the weekend before Christmas, they were pretty busy but still spent the time to do it right. Now apart from a failed battery on the Di2 (replaced promptly under warranty) I have had no problems, and love my "Black Betty"

After riding in the rain I have decided I needed a cyclocross bike (when I say need, I really mean want). I convinvced the better half that it would be much safer in the wet, so permission was granted. I shopped around the local bike shops, checked online and have today ordered a Merida from Cheeky velo in Warners Bay. It was a toss up between that and the Cell Brunswick, and I went for a local biek shop this time as the price was pretty close.

So I have bought 2 bikes from local shops, 2 from Cell. I have been happy with every purchase and had good service each time.

One thing to check out is Hadleys are getting in all teh 2015 Giant models this week, that means they are discounting their 2014 bikes quite heavily

nafe

Postby nafe » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks Newcastle Dave, I'm from Warabrook so checking out a few local bike shops. I'll have a look in Hadley's this afternoon and see about their prices, I'm also looking at a shogun katana bike from Gumtree also but having trouble finding info about that brand of bike.

Appreciate your time and assistance

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:15 pm

My first bike was a 2009 shogun katana, they are rebranded merida frames iirc. Merida makes their frames so they're decent quality, certainly no surprises but also nothing special. I'd describe it as a solid performer

The older shogun bikes (steel frames) are their own brand I think. Bought an old team issue which was a top notch frame IMO, a little dated but still performs well.

nafe

Postby nafe » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:22 pm

Thanks Mate

This is the shogun I'm looking at

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kotara/b ... 1052833604" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:34 pm

That frame would be closer to the team issue I was referring to, its a solid frame, but if I were buying i'd try to haggle him down to $299 though. $400 is a bit steep considering you have a much newer giant for $500

nafe

Postby nafe » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:43 pm

Thanks Mate,

I'll have a look and if it fits and feels nice to ride i'll talk price with him, Your right with a 12 month old bike being $500, offering better value than an older one for $400, i would imagine similar specs?

Thanks

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:00 pm

Specs are similar, the shogun has higher spec, but the newest shimano grouosets of lower spec is comparable

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:45 pm

I had a Shogun Trailbreaker around about 1990 before it got nicked. Man that was a nice bike back then... :-) Sorry guys, as you were... :-)

nafe

Postby nafe » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:07 pm

I'm a bit less nervous about the shogun now since it's a reasonable entry level bike, if I can get it for the right price naturally.

Cheers for all your help, I'm looking at it after work tomorrow so will let you know how I go

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:56 pm

Reckon the Defy 3 is a better shot to be honest over the Shogun (imo) if the Defy 3 fits.
And if you find the ride a little harsh my advice is usually to ditch the tyres that where sold with the bike (because the default setup is usually fairly crap quality) and put some nice 25mm tyres on it like the conti Gp4000s.

nafe

Giant Defy 3

Postby nafe » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:38 am

Ok It's been a while since I updated this but I put a lot of thought in and kept looking and found a Scott sportster s60 for $150. It was a touch long in reach but seemed to have a very long stem on it which I will get a new 90mm rather then the current 130mm,

Anyway as soon as I picked it up I took it to the LBS I was chatting to for a service, there was a small rattle in the rear wheel, we couldn't figure out the noise so we are just going to repack the rear bearing and see if that fixes it, also needed new chain and cassette,

So all up for the bike, service and new parts the whole bike has cost me $380.

I'm quite stoked with the pickup, can't wait to collect the bike from the LBS before the weekend to finally give it a good ride.

Appreciate all your help and advice guys