Need Source for Shimano Shifters

Brownie

Need Source for Shimano Shifters

Postby Brownie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:47 am

I want to replace the bracket covers (hoods) and name plates on a set of Shimano 105 ST-5510 9-speed shifters but Im having trouble locating the parts. These were original equipment on my 2006 Lemond Versailles Triple. A couple of websites said Shimano had discontinued parts for these shifters. Several sites listed parts but say "out of stock". No joy on eBay except for some old complete sets of shifters in poor condition.

I am very disappointed that Shimano doesn't still support replacement parts for these shifters. Mine are still working perfectly after seven years and could go another seven I'm sure.

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions/info, I would be very grateful. The nameplates are just cosmetic but the bracket covers really need to be replaced.

Blakeylonger

Re: Need Source for Shimano Shifters

Postby Blakeylonger » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:21 am

Brownie wrote:I want to replace the bracket covers (hoods) and name plates on a set of Shimano 105 ST-5510 9-speed shifters but Im having trouble locating the parts. These were original equipment on my 2006 Lemond Versailles Triple. A couple of websites said Shimano had discontinued parts for these shifters. Several sites listed parts but say "out of stock". No joy on eBay except for some old complete sets of shifters in poor condition.

I am very disappointed that Shimano doesn't still support replacement parts for these shifters. Mine are still working perfectly after seven years and could go another seven I'm sure.

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions/info, I would be very grateful. The nameplates are just cosmetic but the bracket covers really need to be replaced.
5500 was ~2000-2007. That was 7 to 14 years ago. Hoods went out of easy availability about 2 years ago, so Shimano supported them for about 10-12 years, which is pretty good, especially considering NOS parts will continue to float around for years beyond that. How long do you expect them to supply spares? 20 years?

Hoods are part #Y6C898070, try ebay. The sora/tiagra/DA etc ones don't fit, R600/55xx/65xx only.

Or I'll sell you my ST-6500 levers which have brand new hoods on them.

Or buy some 11sp campy levers and shimergo it

Or buy a set of 10sp shimano levers and cassette and chain once your current cassette and chain are worn out.