henders

Postby henders » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Last edited by henders on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KGB

Re: Saddle bag stuff recommendation

Postby KGB » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:33 am

I wouldn't bother with the spook (assuming you mean a spoke). With a traditional spoke wheel you can usually get it straight enough to limp home anyway.

Add:
-Multi tool, I prefer one with a chain tool and spoke key included. -$5 note for emergency snacks or as emergency tyre boot.
-ID, an old licence or something.

I carry one spare tube and some glueless patches. First flat is just a tube swap, then patch any after that. I find the glueless patches a temp job only so will fix everything up once I get home.
Roll your tubes tightly as well to squeeze all the air out and save space.

KGB

Postby KGB » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:36 am

Park tyre levers are pretty average. Try and find the flat, wide ones from michelin, continental or pedros. I have some birzman ones which seem pretty good.
Any decent brand multi will do me as long as it has the required tools (chain breaker, Allen keys, small screwdriver, 15mm spanner).

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:51 am

The contents of my saddle bag get used so rarely it's a stretch to remember what's in there.

I'm pretty sure it's just one tube, a couple of tyre levers and a multitool. I have a pump attached to my frame.

Most of my riding is with a bunch, so second spare tubes are kind of a community resource. If you flat, you use your spare tube; if you double-flat, you scrounge one.

If I'm out on a short-ish solo ride and somehow manage to double-flat (I can't remember this ever happening), then I'll call for rescue... even if it's a taxi rescue, or a hitch-hike to public transport or whatever. Like I would have to if I destroyed a tyre, or broke a frame or snapped a crank or any of the other possible-but-unlikely breakdowns.

If I'm going for a long solo ride (>100km and/or remote and/or otherwise high risk), I'll carry more... an extra tube and/or patch kit... in a bigger saddle bag that also has space for some food and supplies.

It's a trade-off between travelling light and being self-sufficient. On a solo tour across South America, you'd probably want to take extra spokes, brake pads, spare tyre, gear and brake cables etc. etc.. For a short morning bunch ride, you wouldn't.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:03 am

On the roadie, my saddle bag just has one spare tube and a multi-tool (which has its own tyre levers - from kathmandu, great tool!). I only use this bike for commuting so have my backpack too, in which I have a second spare tube - Have only ever needed the 2nd for helping out others who have flatted without a spare.

MTB saddle bag has spare tube (I run tubeless, so this is "just in case"), derailleur hanger, quick link, tyre levers and a gel.

Both bikes I carry my pump on the frame (with a cable tie to ensure it stays there on the MTB)

The ID is a good idea.. I really should get around to putting photocopies of my license in them with some emergency contacts..

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:39 am

just got a lezyne medium loaded. came with a good toolkit inbuilt and enough room for 2 tubes, 2 co2s, co2 dispenser, tyre boots and tube patches

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:34 pm

I have multi tool, spare garmin mount, puncture kit, tyre levers, clear sunglasses lenses in case it gets dark and room for keys and some cash

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:56 pm

I carry a spare tube, tyre levers, puncture kit, 4 & 5mm mini allen keys & a couple of chain pins in the puncture kit box (they're the only two sizes I need on my bike) CO2 head & two canisters (+ pump on frame) & a rear derailleur hanger for the MTB. I don't bother with a chainbreaker on road (never broken a chain, so figure the risk is pretty well non-existent), but add it to the mix when MTBing (never broken one there either, but the risk is greater, so I carry the tool there).

I'm not sure why you'd need spooks though, unless they're some form on security system to scare people away.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:40 pm

All rides:-
Equipment carried in a small saddle bag
1 x tube
2 x tyre levers
1 x micro pump
1 x Lezyne dry patch kit, with a few dry patches (wet patches & glue may be better)
1 x presta/schrader adapter, for petrol station air top-ups

Additional – for long group rides, where quick repair time is important:-
Equipment carried in a tool canister bidon – mounted in my second bidon cage on the seat-tube
1 x CO2 kit
1 x mini tool with multiple allen keys and driver bits

Additional – for long isolated rides, where help is almost non-existent:-
Stuffed in the tool canister bidon, or jersey pockets
1 x chain breaker (haven’t busted a chain yet)
1 x additional tube
1 x spare tyre (a $20 note may be sufficient for a temp fix on minor tears)
Anything else

Spare gaffer tape wrapped around a film canister (if you can find one) is more useful and easier to carry than a spare spoke.
You can then tape a broken spoke to the next good spoke and keep on riding.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:11 pm

a pair of rubber gloves. In the event that you help someone who's had an off, at least you can protect yourself from blood spillage. I came across a scene one time where a POBSO had been hit by a car and her foot was 95% severed through. Literally, it was an inch wide patch of skin and muscle holding it on. I had no first aid equipment with me and all the bystanders stood around shrieking so it was me who tried to stop the bleeding and hold her foot on until the meat wagon arrived. Unfortunately there was 6 months of blood tests and having to do the safe sex thing just in case i'd caught anything (ie not wanting to pass anything on). Now, I always have a pair of those gloves with me. They take up bugger all room.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:32 pm

KGB wrote:Park tyre levers are pretty average. Try and find the flat, wide ones from michelin, continental or pedros. I have some birzman ones which seem pretty good.
Any decent brand multi will do me as long as it has the required tools (chain breaker, Allen keys, small screwdriver, 15mm spanner).
+1, those parktools tyre levers are crap. I always seem to pinch the tube between the lever and the tyre. Doesnt seem to happen with any of my other tyre levers.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:58 pm

Mini folding pliers (Gerber). Just the thing for those annoying thin wire punctures that are almost impossible to extract.

kb

Postby kb » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:00 am

Oh, and a spare SRAM PowerLock, rare earth magnet, ibuprofen and band aids and nitrile glove. Everything else is pretty standard.

henders

Postby henders » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:45 pm

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:21 pm

I like the look of that Kathmandu one - especially for that price. Got a good mind to go grab one myself.

Multitools are a compromise between useability and portability. If you're attempting to use one as your day-to-day tool kit, you'll very quickly run into the usability compromise. Nothing beats a proper tool for the job.

A decent set of allen keys is not expensive at all. At least one of my sets cost <$10, and they're nice tools.
If you use a multi-tool chain breaker too much you'll stuff it... and then you'll have a tool with a munged chain breaker that doesn't work properly when you need it (the pin on my multitool chainbreaker is bent now... I got about 15 years out of that one, but it's a pointless inclusion on the multitool now).
What else is on a multi-tool? Screwdrivers (a couple of bucks at the Reject Shop if you can't spring for a decent set at your hardware shed of choice)? Nasty metal tyre levers (better to grab a set of plastic ones)? Aluminium ring spanners that probably won't turn the awkwardly located bolt you need it to turn, and flogs out after about 3 uses?

Don't plan on using your multi-tool for normal workshop use. Grab some real tools.

tim

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:45 pm

I've got the Topeak Alien II multi tool, found it to be very versatile
http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Tools/ALiEN_II

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:53 pm

I'm not sure why you'd need spooks though, unless they're some form on security system to scare people away.
Ghost shifting perhaps?

henders

Postby henders » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:02 pm

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:05 pm

I'd avoid it. Their prices aren't cheap enough to warrant choosing them over the cheaper end of quality items IMO.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:38 pm

Pick up tubes from wiggle if you are buying anything from there. 16 bucks for 8. Plus postage

henders

Postby henders » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:48 pm