Planet X mistake - Sent wrong item

marc2131

Planet X mistake - Sent wrong item

Postby marc2131 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:09 pm

I bought myself a set of Stronglight Track cranks from Planet X in the UK.
Specifically asked for this with a 48T chainring. However when the parcel arrived the chainring was a measley 44T.

Sent a complaint to Planet X and got the following reply:
"Please accept my personal apologies for the wrong item being sent to you. We have just had a new system put in place that requires us to have the wrong item back to us before we can send the correct item to you, I understand this is far from ideal however if you could follow the link below and retur the wrong item to us we can then process this and rectify the issue by sending the right product to you".

WT :evil:
I have to send this back to Planet X. I checked postage and seamail alone costs $20.45 and airmail $39.10. The whole crankset was $105.
Any suggestions? Never experienced this kind of incompetence before.
... 15km short of a cardiac arrest ...

toofat

Re: Planet X mistake - Sent wrong item

Postby toofat » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Ask them if they will credit your card with the postage cost incurred due to their mistake when they recieve the crank back, some shops will or if its a high markup item its not worth them refunding postage and they just post out the correct one

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:10 pm

Agreed. I don't blame them for asking for the incorrect item back first but expecting you to foot the bill to send it is not cool.

Aside from that, if its just the chainring you're sending (not the entire crank) then look into sending it as an A4 sized letter. Should be much cheaper than a parcel.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:01 am

I'm in the middle of something similar.
I ordered a long sleeve jersey from them and the package arrived really quickly but with the wrong item - a waterproof jacket in the wrong size.
When I emailed to tell them, the item I really wanted was out of stock. They asked for the wrong item to be sent back and we are both now waiting for it to arrive back with them.
I read their returns policy and expect to get my postage costs refunded.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:40 am

Confirm that you get the postage costs refunded - I am guessing that UK consumer law should protect customers in this situation.
Cycling is in my BNA

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:21 am

Conversely, I had an incorrect item sent issue from Wiggle a month or so ago. I sent an email explaining the situation, they replied promptly and apologetically and rectified the issue as quickly as they could - no extra cost to me.

There is no reason why any of these retailers need to muck people around once they've been informed of an issue.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:41 am

Velo Orange were also fantastic in sending a replacement item ASAP. They have been very attentive.

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:14 am

While I'm still comforable sending the item back first and being reimbursed for post, Velogear sent me the wrong item recently and once I told them, they sent me the right one with a satchel to return the wrong item. Good stuff.

lardass71

Postby lardass71 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:13 pm

Planet X are usually very good, I've had this issue myself and received the postage back, I wouldn't call it incompetence, it's just a simple mistake, when you take into account how many orders they deal with along with c r c and most other online shops, I would give them the opportunity to rectify before name calling, just my 2cents, I'm not affiliated with them but have purchased from them a fair bit in the last few years

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:11 pm

I just had a good experience with Planet X with a set of rollers, even with a 30 pound shipping charge I saved a truckload; reality is that when these things happen you will never get as good an experience as going through the LBS and picking up the goods (because you'll have a place to shake your fist if you get a Small instead of the Medium), it's part of the markup. If you don't need the parts today, then be happy you are saving money, because you can't afford to save time.

I've been burnt with a similar conversation about a BABY SEAT from the UK, that was a heart starter. Won't use the retailer again. I will happily use c r c or Wiggle or Torpedo7 or my LBS or Cell .. which one didn't I mention hmmmmmmmm

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:43 am

It's taken a couple of emails to prompt action but Planet X have now credited the amount paid for the jersey and the postage.
All good!

limetang

Postby limetang » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:50 pm

I have had 2 orders from Planet X where the incorrect items were shipped. Both were completely wrong size and or colour so I would say their systems might need a bit of improvement.

The first item i sold locally because the cost of the item was less than return postage would be (they would refund postage i know)

The second Item was a set of 105 pedals. Instead of carbon pedals I received Silver alloy ones. I needed these pedals to use a new bike, so i asked them to send the correct pedals ASAP for me to use.
They weren't too keen on sending me the correct set without getting the others back first. I opened a paypal dispute because I wasnt happy with the three-word email replies I was getting. I also wrote on their facebook wall.

4 days later I had the correct pedals, no return of incorrect item asked for. So I guess we're even now. I'm unsure if i will buy from them again, pity because they have some real bargains.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:33 pm

I paid for my purchase with a credit card, so I unfortunately cannot fall back on a Paypal dispute reso to clear things up.
Planet X insisted I return the items but that theyd also to refund the postage cost for sending it back to the UK. Sent it a month ago.
Wrote to them last week. No reply.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:21 pm

It's been a month, launch the dispute with your card company. I think it's 45 days or 90 days to start the process, so you could be very close to the deadline. Don't wait.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:08 am

Xplora wrote:It's been a month, launch the dispute with your card company. I think it's 45 days or 90 days to start the process, so you could be very close to the deadline. Don't wait.
Thanks for the info. Just called up my bank and did just that.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:10 am

Just because I think Planet X aren't the Great Satan, if the package does arrive and it's all great, you can cancel the dispute too. Saves some bloke a lot of mucking around. ;)

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:47 am

marc2131 wrote:I paid for my purchase with a credit card, so I unfortunately cannot fall back on a Paypal dispute reso to clear things up.
Planet X insisted I return the items but that theyd also to refund the postage cost for sending it back to the UK. Sent it a month ago.
Wrote to them last week. No reply.
Hi marc2131,
Even if you are with Pay pal always put the account through a credit card. Pay pal flipped me off but after the allocated period the bank refunded me my money. Just put all the info into a file and bide your time then submit to the bank and no probs. In fact that is what I would email the offending company.

Tell them your plans and you want a refund or the goods, or a mail credit or you will wait out the period and the bank will refund under Australian law.Then you can do what you like with the unwanted parts.

I found Pay pal to be absolutely useless. But they are a good option as an agent in some issues.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Put in an official complaint with my bank.
Judging from Planet X's Facebook page, I am not the only one with a problem with their supposed 'service'.
Just put this issue on their FB page today:

"I ordered a Stronglight Crankset from Planet X (order: SO060656) in August but was delivered the wrong item.
Notified Planet X immediately who admitted fault in writing. You then asked for me to resend the entire item back to the UK.

I complied, paying Australian$45, being promised I'd get this refunded by Planet X. More than a month on, Planet X has gone totally quiet.
No mention of sending me the correct order, no mention of reimbursing my return postage costs, not even mention of refunding the cost of the crankset which I still don't have.
Planet X is totally dishonest. Disgusted with your service."

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:15 pm

Credit card dispute going through OK?

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:18 am

Xplora wrote:Credit card dispute going through OK?
The bank has been pretty good. Spoke to them on the phone and they sent me some paperwork to fill out within a week. Completed that last week.
Planet X claims they are sending me the correct crankset this week. Have to wait and see if this really eventuates.
In the meantime they keep claiming the Order Number I supplied them is wrong! This is the same number they issued me. Sent them back their own emails to prove the number is 'correct'.
These guys don't know what they are doing :shock:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:31 pm

Well that makes more sense. They sent the right crank to the right address for the right price... it's just that it wasn't the right order, so you won't get it because your order isn't the right order ;)

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:04 am

Issue was finally resolved.
Paid with credit card so bank refused to honour payment. After a long silence Planet X UK decided to reimburse my $45 postage costs (sending back item, due to their mistake).
Got the coorect item about 2 months later, with no apology, no acknowledgement a mistake had been done, not even a coupon for the rigmarole they put me through.
That is the last time I am ever using Planet X (UK) for any purchase. They are incompetent and worse still, dishonest and callous.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:23 am

Disappointing but there you go. Glad you got an outcome.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:54 am

Hmmm...can you expect the same level of disappointing WRONG ITEM Supplied from On-One?

The Web Sites look the same.....
On One Tools
On One - jobsworth-pro-30m-roll-of-brake-cable-outer

Planet X Tools
Planet X - jobsworth-pro-30m-roll-of-brake-cable-outer

Home Page for On One
"About On One
Founded in Sheffield, England over quarter of a century ago, Planet X is still run by riders, for riders, offering class-leading products at an unbeatable price. We design and build Planet X, On-One and Titus products, "

Is the change to the "OnOne Web Site" just a ploy to remove the bad feedback...& continue with the WRONG ITEM Supplied culture?

=>> Seemed a little dodgy to me but appears they are one & the same company….any difference in website service? The Planet X web site feedback comment contains quite a few -ve comments eg tyres supplied that were not what was ordered etc. Interesting that there is no real place to ask a Qu about a product & the descriptions are soemwhat lacking eg jobsworth-pro-30m-roll-of-brake-cable-outer...No detail and no real Qu&A Section to find out if it is Telfon Lined, platted or just plain cheap spiral.

Any experiences with On One? .......is it just as much luck of the draw as Planet X?

Rob

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:08 am

They are the same company. Planet X is their roadie front and On One is their MTB side, but it's the same people.